Showing Collections: 21 - 30 of 69
Scope and Contents VMI scrapbook, covering the 1928-1929 school year, compiled by Cadet James B. Guthrie of Birmingham, Alabama. He was a member of the Class of 1932 and attended for one year. The scrapbook Includes photographs of cadet life and buildings; clippings and other memorabilia. A few items date from Guthrie's attendance at the Gulf Coast Military Academy prior to his enrollment at VMI. Guthrie (b. 1907 d. 1984) spent 32 years in the U. S. Army.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers dating from the cadetship of James Keith, including a scrapbook fragment; 3 essays written for English & History classes; snapshots (ca. 17 items) and a furlough request.
Scope and Contents Virginia Military Institute (VMI) scrapbook, 1922-1926, compiled by Cadet James N. Bell, Class of 1926. Includes photographs of cadet life, classmates, buildings; newspaper clippings (documenting athletic and other events) and memorabilia such as dance programs.
Scope and Contents Virginia Military Institute (VMI) scrapbook, 1917-1921, compiled by Cadet John B. Payne, Class of 1921. Includes photographs of cadet life, athletics, classmates, buildings; newspaper clippings, and memorabilia.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of photograph albums, diplomas, and miscellaneous papers documenting the life of John Edward Townes. The photos depict both his VMI cadetship and his subsequent career in the U. S. Army Coast Artillery Corps (1908-1920) and at VMI as a faculty member (1921-1956). During World War I he served in France with the American Expeditionary Force (AEF).
Scope and Contents The John K. Davis papers consist of original propaganda leaflets directed at the Japanese troops and civilians, 1945; personal correspondence written to his parents and largely concerning family matters, 1945-1946; formal photographs of Davis from his cadetship, Army career, and civilian career; amateur snapshots of Manila and surrounding area, ca. 1945; maps of Japanese cities issued to officers, 1945; "Guide to Japan", September 1945; and miscellaneous other printed material.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of correspondence (to parents and other family) and two photograph albums documenting service during World War II; the bulk is dated 1942-1946. The letters cover a wide range of topics, including training in Great Britain, field hospital operations in Europe, and comments about daily aspects of war. The photographs document the unit's movements, staff, and activities in England, France and Belgium. In addition, the papers include a photograph album (1936-1937) dating from his...
Scope and Contents The Lemuel C. Shepherd Papers consist primarily of unpublished memoirs and accompanying documents; photograph albums and scrapbooks dating from Shepherd's years as a VMI cadet, as Commandant of the Marine Corps, and from his service as President of the Inter-American Defense Board; an interview with General Shepherd conducted by the archivist of the MacArthur Library regarding Shepherd's role during the Korean War - assault at Inchon; miscellaneous correspondence; clippings; certificates and...
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents The collection consists of documents and photographs (ca. 120 items) from the military career of U.S. Army General Leonard Townsend Gerow (b. 1888 d.1972). It includes correspondence with General Dwight D. Eisenhower,autobiographical material, speeches (1945-1948), and photographs. Material complementary to this collection is located in his student/alumni file, also located in the VMI Archives.
Scope and Contents Scrapbook compiled by Cadet Leopold M. von Schilling, Virginia Military Institute, Class of 1926, covering the period 1922-1925. Included are snapshots, dance programs, clippings, drawings, and other VMI memorabilia. Topics of the photographs include his classmates and friends, cadet life, athletics, and VMI buildings.
- Subject: Photographs X
- 1 Albert, Eddie
- 1 Austin, Samuel L. (Samuel Lord), 1898-1987
- 1 Bagby, Pleasant H. (Pleasant Harwood), 1910-
- 1 Barton, George L. (George Lloyd), 1891-1984
- 1 Beeton, Francis E. (Francis Emerson), 1890-1981
- 1 Bell, James N. (James Nichol), 1904-1977
- 1 Bolling, Robert W. (Robert William), 1899-1969
- 1 Bond, Robert N., 1899-1924
- 1 Bundy, Richard J., 1899-1958
- 1 Burress, Withers A. (Withers Alexander), 1894-1977
- 1 Cochran, William B. (William Burr)
- 1 Cooper, George L. H. (George Lawrence Hawkins), 1911-1984
- 1 Couper, John L. (John Lee), 1916-2000
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Davis, Albert D. (Albert Daniel), 1913-1992
- 1 Davis, John K. (John Kennerly), 1906-1975
- 1 Doty, Mark H. (Mark Hanahan), 1902-1968
- 1 Douglas, Wallace S., 1901-1982
- 1 Earle, Robert A. (Robert August), 1906-1991
- 1 East, J. Frank (John Franklin), 1901-1979
- 1 Edgar, C. Ernest, III, MG (Charles Ernest)
- 1 Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- 2 Finklehoffe, Fred Franklin
- 1 Gaillard, Charles C.
- 1 Gaillard, Fred E.
- 1 Garbutt, William A., 1909-1998
- 1 George V, King of Great Britain, 1865-1936
- 1 Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972
- 1 Gilham, Cordelia Hayden
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Graham, C. Barrett (Charles Barrett)
- 1 Gulf Coast Military Academy
- 1 Guthrie, James B., 1907-1984
- 1 Gwathmey, Lomax, 1937-1970
- 1 Hammond, Gordon, 1897-1953
- 1 Hanger, George D. (George DeLancey), 1907-1992
- 1 Hannah, Andrew L. (Andrew Lee), 1903-1982
- 1 Harbord, James G. (James Guthrie), 1866-1947
- 1 Historic American Buildings Survey
- 1 Hopkins, William A. (William Addison), 1903-1971
- 1 Irby, Richard L., 1918-2002
- 1 Jones, Reverdy H., 1913-1980
- 1 Keith, James, 1911-
- 1 Lowry, Sumter L., 1893-
- 1 MacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964
- 1 McCuaig, Duncan R., Dr.
- 1 Meriwether, Willis J.
- 1 Meyers, Bennet A. (Bennet Aaron), 1910-1975
- 1 Milton, William H. (William Hammond), 1900-1984
- 1 Monks, John Cherry
- 1 Morton, Theodore F. (Theodore Feild), 1899-1978
- 1 Moss, Clement M. (Clement Murphy), 1902-1970
- 1 Munce, Marshall G. (Marshall Gilliam), 1896-1977
- 1 Nelson, Nathan H. (Nathan Henry), 1902-1972
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Nixon, Thomas S. (Thomas Scott), 1901-1980
- 1 Nunnamaker, Harold, 1910-1976
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Payne, John B., 1899-1986
- 1 Pendleton, Randolph T. (Randolph Tucker), 1889-1973
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Reagan, Ronald
- 1 Rice, Hugh B. (Hugh Banker), 1900-1977
- 1 Rockenbach, Samuel D. (Samuel Dickerson), 1869-1952
- 1 Rosenberger Family
- 1 Rosenberger, George W., 1823-1902
- 1 Scott, Thomas B. (Thomas Branch), 1894-1983
- 1 Shepherd, Lemuel C., Jr. (Lemuel Cornick)
- 1 Smigrod, Claudia
- 1 Smith, Philip, 1893-1948
- 1 Smith, Robert N.
- 1 Stewart, Henry M. (Henry Montgomery), 1911-1988
- 1 Summerall, Charles Pelot, 1867-1955
- 1 Torrington, Francis R.
- 1 Townes, John E., 1886-1970
- 1 VMI Research Laboratories, Inc.
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of English, Rhetoric, and Humanistic Studies
- 2 Virginia Military Institute. Department of History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of Communications and Marketing
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 1 Vivian, William R. (William Rhoads), 1911-2009
- 1 Wade, Thomas M. (Thomas Morrell), 1842-1928
- 1 Wallace, Robert L. (Robert Lucius), 1902-1988
- 1 Watson, William H. (William Henry), 1907-1974
- 1 Wood, Leonard, 1860-1927
- 1 Woodward, Richard R. (Richard Rawles), 1905-1982
- 1 Wyman, Jane, 1914-
- 1 von Schilling, Leopold M. (Leopold Marshall), 1905-1981 ∧ less