Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 29
Scope and Contents The John L. Cochran Papers consist of a report card (1879) from the secondary school Cochran attended before entering the Virginia Military Institute; one letter (September 4, 1880) from VMI Cadet Cochran to his mother; a diary, with sketches (1881), containing short and sporadic entries made while he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute and concerning various aspects of cadet life; and four volumes of class notes (1882-1885) taken while Cochran was a student at Swarthmore College...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of four items dating from his cadetship: A one volume notebook containing copied poetry and miscellaneous notes; two essays; and his VMI account book documenting school expenses, 1846-1849.
Scope and Contents Papers consist of: Manuscript notebook compiled by Carpenter during his cadetship, 1852-1856, containing poetry, class notes, autographs of classmates, detailed account of Corps trip to Petersburg and Richmond, October 1855.Two letters written by Carpenter to his father in 1862, including letter of June 16, 1862 describing fighting near Port Republic, Virginia.Letter of recommendation written on Carpenter's behalf by Brigadier General John Echols, submitted to...
Scope and Contents Poetry notebook compiled by Cadet Julien A. Hall (Virginia Military Institute Class of 1879) in 1875-1876. Such notebooks were popular among cadets of the mid to late 19th century. They typically contain VMI-related poetry, often not written by the notebook's owner, as well as misc. other poetry and notes.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two items. One letter (September 2, 1865) from Hempstead to Major DeWitt C. Craun in which he defends the position taken by the South during the Civil War & his own service in the CSA. One manuscript poem"Ode to the 4th Classmen of 1861 who never heard Auld Lang Syne" (undated).
Scope and Contents Notebook (ca. 145 pages) reflecting cadet life 1848-1851. Includes accounts of Corps trips to Richmond, Petersburg, Norfolk and Rockbridge Alum Springs; cadet poetry and essays; poetry by Sara Henderson Smith; addresses delivered before the Cadet Dialectic Society (a literary and debating society); discussion of exams (1851) in English and Natural Philosophy; an account of "An Oyster Supper---A Frolic After Taps", and an account of "our last bible recitation" in which Gibbs describes the last...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a 3 volume diary dating from the VMI cadetship of Richard K. Boney, Class of 1878. Daily brief entries, 1874-1878, note weather and significant events. The collection also contains a poetry notebook, 1874-1878, including standard VMI poetry and copied quotations; and one scrapbook fragment, 1874-1878, with clippings about VMI events such as commencement, and miscellaneous programs and invitations.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two poetry notebooks compiled by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Robert Beverley during the period 1874-1875. The volumes contains original poetry composed by VMI cadets, as well as copied verses. Cadet authors include Smith Caruthers, Class of 1875; Samuel M. Cooper, Class of 1876; Selby Jones, Class of 1864; and Charles D. Walker, Class of 1869. The notebooks also contain poetry by faculty member Robert L. Madison. An index is located in front of volume one.
Scope and Contents Manuscript notebook-diary (1849-1853) of Robert Gatewood. Entries include original and copies poetry dating from his last year at VMI; essays; diary entries dating from period 1851-1853, written while Gatewood was teaching at the College of William and Mary. Diary entries and notes frequently have a religious theme.
Scope and Contents The collection contains three manuscript notebooks containing verse letters, poetry, notes, and a few newspaper clippings, bulk 1861-1865. One of the volumes is titled "Order Book, 9th Regiment Va. Volunteers, Craney Island"; on the endsheets of this book are glued original manuscript signatures of VMI faculty and others , apparently clipped from letters. The pages of this volume contain Sara's writings. A folder that contains Sara's writings on loose pages within the "Order Book" is also part...
- Subject: Poetry X
- 1 Arnold, William E. (William Elisha), 1830-1902
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Beverley, Robert, 1858-1928
- 2 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Boney, Richard K. (Richard Kinsey), 1858-1937
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Carter, Spencer L. (Spencer Leslie), 1873-1950
- 1 Caruthers, Smith
- 1 Clark, Francis B. (Francis Barnard), 1850-1896
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cocke, John T. B., 1870-1951
- 1 Cooper, Samuel M.
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Exall, Alexander D. (Alexander Duval), 1853-1928
- 1 Ficklin, Benjamin F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1827-1871
- 1 Forsythe, James A. (James Adger), 1853-1925
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Gordon, William M. (William Milburn), 1830-1907
- 1 Hall, Julien A.
- 1 Hempstead, Junius L. (Junius Lackland), 1842-1920
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jones, Selby
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Neill, William
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 4 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 3 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steenbergen, John W., 1831-1916
- 1 Thompson, John A. (John Addy), 1832-1867
- 1 Walker, Charles D.
- 2 Wiegand, William E. (William Edward), 1853-1928
- 1 Yager, William O. (William Overall), 1833-1904 ∧ less