Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Scope and Contents Bond document for Rockbridge County, Virginia Sheriff Joseph Allen. Signed by James McDowell and other citizens of the county.
Overview The papers consist largely of manuscripts (drafts, galleys, proofs), notes, and other research material relating to Couper's interest in the history of Lexington and Rockbridge County (Virginia), the Virginia Military Institute, and the Shenandoah Valley. Other topics include the construction of Fort Jackson, South Carolina in 1917, and General Stonewall Jackson.
Scope and Contents One letter (September 10, 1843) from Cadet Green to his father. Green describes, in detail, the Corps' march to Rockbridge Alum, Warm, Hot, and White Sulphur Springs.
Scope and Contents One letter (October 16, 1870) from Cadet William Nalle to his mother, Mrs. Thomas Botts Nalle. Contains a detailed account of the death and funeral of General Robert E. Lee. Nalle describes mourning activities at VMI, Washington College, and Lexington; standing guard over Lee's body with four other cadets; funeral procession. Letter also mentions flood in Rockbridge County that destroyed canal locks, bridges and other property.
- Subject: Rockbridge County (Va.) -- History X
- 1 Allen, Joseph
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Green, William J. (William James), 1825-1862
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 McDowell, James, 1795-1851
- 1 Nalle, William
- 1 Richardson, William H. (William Harvie), 1795-1876