Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 21
Andrew C.L. Gatewood Papers
Scope and Contents The bulk of the papers consist of 28 letters written by Gatewood to his parents and other family members, 1860-1864.Early letters describe life at the Virginia Military Institute (hazing, daily routine, excitement about secession, cadets as drillmasters) and in Lexington, Virginia, just prior to and during early months of the Civil War. Subsequent letters date from his service with the 11th Virginia Cavalry Regiment,Company F, (Bath Squadron), including a letter written after the second Battle...
Benjamin Holliday Civil War Parole Document
Scope and Contents One parole document releasing Confederate soldier Benjamin Holliday from Point Lookout (MD) prison. On reverse is oath of allegiance to the United States signed by Holliday.
Charles W. Turner Civil War Letter
Scope and Contents One letter (1865 March 28) from Charles W. Turner to Major Garnett Andrews, commander of the 2nd Foreign Battalion. Turner discussions his commission, other soldiers, and asks to be appointed 1st Lieutenant in Andrews' unit.
Francis M. Boykin Civil War Papers
Scope and Contents The collection consists Civil War papers (8 items, all dated 1861), including two commission documents, extracts from orders, a letter from Governor John Letcher ordering Boykin to proceed to Grafton and communicate with Col. Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall), one letter bearing the signature of Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Fulkerson Family Papers
Scope and Contents The papers consist of correspondence and other material relating to three members of the Fulkerson family: Samuel Vance Fulkerson (1822-1862); his brother, Abram Fulkerson, Jr. (1834-1902); and Abram"s son, Samuel Vance Fulkerson (1863-1926). Significant items are Civil War letters (March-May 1862) written by Samuel V. Fulkerson; Samuel's reports of the Battle of McDowell and the Battle of Winchester, May and June 1862; 3 ...
George Koontz Civil War Letter.
Identifier: MS-0102-Item 185
Scope and Contents Letter written by George Koontz of the Danville Artillery (Rice's Artillery Battery) at the Battle of Chancellorsville. Includes information about the wounding and death of Stonewall Jackson.
Jacob Kent Langhorne Civil War Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers consist of 17 Civil War letters (Sept 1862-May 1863) from Jacob Kent Langhorne to various members of his family, written during his Virginia Military Institute cadetship and his service in the Confederate Army with the 2nd Virginia Cavalry Regiment. Topics include cadet life, family matters, camp life.
James A. Harden Papers
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of letters written by James Harden to his sister, covering wartime events experienced by his unit as well as his time at Ft. Delaware. Also included is one letter written from VMI in June 1861 and miscellaneous items.
James B. Terrill Civil War Letter
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter (April 5, 1861) from James B. Terrill to Virginia's Governor, John Letcher. Terrill offers to serve as an officer in the Virginia Volunteers and gives a brief account of his previous military experience. Endorsement by John B. Baldwin.
James H. Jameson Civil War letters
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two letters written in August 1864 by James H. Jameson to his daughter, Hallie. Both letters were composed while he was a Confederate prisoner of war at Point Lookout Prison. Jameson discusses his failing health and his need for food.
- Subject: Soldiers -- Confederate States of America X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Garland, Samuel, 1830-1862
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Holliday, Benjamin T.
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 3 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 McKay family
- 1 McKay, Philip B. (Philip Bond)
- 1 Patton family
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1833-1864
- 1 Patton, Hugh M., 1841-
- 1 Patton, Isaac W., 1828-1890
- 1 Patton, James F., 1843-1882
- 1 Patton, John M. (John Mercer), 1797-1858
- 1 Patton, John M. (John Mercer), 1826-1898
- 1 Patton, Waller T. (Waller Tazewell), 1835-1863
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Stuart, William D. (William Dabney), 1830-1863
- 1 Taylor, Walter Herron, 1838-1916
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Wade, Thomas M. (Thomas Morrell), 1842-1928
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less