Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 21
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the Civil War correspondence (18 items) of James Henry Reid. Included are 13 letters from Reid to his parents written while he was a fourth classman at the Virginia Military Institute, August - November 1862. This correspondence contains many references to wartime cadet life, including use of the term "rat" as a name for new cadets, hazing, uniforms, food, guard duty and other aspects of life ...
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of 38 letters, 1862-1864, written by Garibaldi to his wife Sarah during his service in the Confederate Army (27th Virginia Infantry Regiment). Primary topics include camp life, the hardships of war for both soldiers and civilians, battles and skirmishes (including Chancellorsville and Gettysburg), other members of the 27th Virginia Infantry Regiment, and family news. The letter of May 11, 1863...
Scope and Contents Civil War parole document granted to Lawrence Royster after surrender of the Confederacy, dated May 16, 1865, Charlottesville, Virginia. The document gives him "permission to go to his home in Richmond, Virginia".
Scope and Contents One letter from Confederate soldier Philip B. McKay to his wife Mary Jane. The letter, dated 1862 June 2, was written from Baldwyn Mississippi. McKay describes fighting near Corinth, Mississippi; hardships of war; and effort to obtain a substitute so that he can return home.
Scope and Contents Biographical sketch of John M. Patton Sr. (b. 1797) and his seven sons, all of whom served in the Confederate States Army. The manuscript was prepared in January 1892 by John M. Patton, Jr., VMI Class of 1846.
Scope and Contents Commission document, dated May 9, 1861, appointing Samuel Garland, Jr. Colonel in the Virginia Volunteer Forces. Signed by Governor John Letcher. Endorsement on verso by Lewis B. Butler, Justice of the Peace for Prince William County, certifying that Garland took various prescribed oaths.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of five letters, 1862-1864, to and from family members, largely concerned with personal family matters, but with some references to the war and civilian life in Fredericksburg and Richmond, Virginia. Other topics include the 47th Virginia Infantry Regiment, including comments about camp life. In addition to the correspondence, the papers contain commissions, orders, certificates, and miscellaneous official documents dating from Brooke's Civil War service and later...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas M. Wade to his sister Lou, written while he was serving as a Private in the 1st Rockbridge Artillery Battery. Topics include daily camp life; personal news; and brief references to Stonewall Jackson and the battle at Antietam (Sharpsburg). The papers also include one post-war photograph of Wade, circa 1870. The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas...
Contents Note The collection contains three Civil War documents relating to Col. Walter H. Taylor's Confederate Army Service. 1. Letter from Taylor to "Lucien" (surname not known), dated 24 October 1864. Taylor declines his friend's invitation to his wedding, stating that his service as Gen. Robert E. Lee's Adjutant General prevents him from taking any leave. 2.Order, HQ Army of Northern Virginia, 23 August 1864. Signed by Taylor, regarding furloughs. 3. Dispatch from Briscoe Baldwin to Taylor,...
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of the Civil War papers (ca. 60 items), 1861-1863, of Colonel William Dabney Stuart. The papers contain correspondence to and from various Confederate Army officers; morning and guard reports; military orders; and invoices and receipts documenting his brief service with the 15th Virginia Infantry Regiment and his command of the 56th Virginia Infantry Regiment. Miscellaneous other items include...
- Subject: Soldiers -- Confederate States of America X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Garland, Samuel, 1830-1862
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Holliday, Benjamin T.
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 3 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 McKay family
- 1 McKay, Philip B. (Philip Bond)
- 1 Patton family
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1833-1864
- 1 Patton, Hugh M., 1841-
- 1 Patton, Isaac W., 1828-1890
- 1 Patton, James F., 1843-1882
- 1 Patton, John M. (John Mercer), 1797-1858
- 1 Patton, John M. (John Mercer), 1826-1898
- 1 Patton, Waller T. (Waller Tazewell), 1835-1863
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Stuart, William D. (William Dabney), 1830-1863
- 1 Taylor, Walter Herron, 1838-1916
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Wade, Thomas M. (Thomas Morrell), 1842-1928
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less