Showing Collections: 11 - 15 of 15
Scope and Contents The papers consist of five letters, 1862-1864, to and from family members, largely concerned with personal family matters, but with some references to the war and civilian life in Fredericksburg and Richmond, Virginia. Other topics include the 47th Virginia Infantry Regiment, including comments about camp life. In addition to the correspondence, the papers contain commissions, orders, certificates, and miscellaneous official documents dating from Brooke's Civil War service and later...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas M. Wade to his sister Lou, written while he was serving as a Private in the 1st Rockbridge Artillery Battery. Topics include daily camp life; personal news; and brief references to Stonewall Jackson and the battle at Antietam (Sharpsburg). The papers also include one post-war photograph of Wade, circa 1870. The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas...
Contents Note The collection contains three Civil War documents relating to Col. Walter H. Taylor's Confederate Army Service. 1. Letter from Taylor to "Lucien" (surname not known), dated 24 October 1864. Taylor declines his friend's invitation to his wedding, stating that his service as Gen. Robert E. Lee's Adjutant General prevents him from taking any leave. 2.Order, HQ Army of Northern Virginia, 23 August 1864. Signed by Taylor, regarding furloughs. 3. Dispatch from Briscoe Baldwin to Taylor,...
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of the Civil War papers (ca. 60 items), 1861-1863, of Colonel William Dabney Stuart. The papers contain correspondence to and from various Confederate Army officers; morning and guard reports; military orders; and invoices and receipts documenting his brief service with the 15th Virginia Infantry Regiment and his command of the 56th Virginia Infantry Regiment. Miscellaneous other items include...
Scope and Contents One letter from Lt. Col. Bentley to his mother, written while serving with the 24th Va. Infantry Regt., CSA. Dated June 13, 1862, from "camp near Richmond." Discusses his feelings about war; comfort given by his belief in God; life in camp.
- Subject: Soldiers -- Confederate States of America -- Correspondence X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 2 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 McKay family
- 1 McKay, Philip B. (Philip Bond)
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Stuart, William D. (William Dabney), 1830-1863
- 1 Taylor, Walter Herron, 1838-1916
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Wade, Thomas M. (Thomas Morrell), 1842-1928
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less