Showing Collections: 21 - 30 of 43
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter (April 5, 1861) from James B. Terrill to Virginia's Governor, John Letcher. Terrill offers to serve as an officer in the Virginia Volunteers and gives a brief account of his previous military experience. Endorsement by John B. Baldwin.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two letters written in August 1864 by James H. Jameson to his daughter, Hallie. Both letters were composed while he was a Confederate prisoner of war at Point Lookout Prison. Jameson discusses his failing health and his need for food.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the Civil War correspondence (18 items) of James Henry Reid. Included are 13 letters from Reid to his parents written while he was a fourth classman at the Virginia Military Institute, August - November 1862. This correspondence contains many references to wartime cadet life, including use of the term "rat" as a name for new cadets, hazing, uniforms, food, guard duty and other aspects of life ...
Scope and Contents Personal papers (40 items) of James W. Massie. The papers include incoming correspondence (1855-1857); Civil War papers, primarily incoming letters, orders and commissions, 1861-1863; post-war papers, including letters written by Massie's wife, Sophie, and documents relating to their son, James McDowell Massie; misc., other documents, Confederate bonds, and envelopes.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of 38 letters, 1862-1864, written by Garibaldi to his wife Sarah during his service in the Confederate Army (27th Virginia Infantry Regiment). Primary topics include camp life, the hardships of war for both soldiers and civilians, battles and skirmishes (including Chancellorsville and Gettysburg), other members of the 27th Virginia Infantry Regiment, and family news. The letter of May 11, 1863...
Scope and Contents Letter (June 18, 1861) from Confederate soldier John Hamilton Ervine of Bridgewater, Rockingham County, Virginia, to his wife. Ervine was 2nd Sgt., Company I, 1st Virginia Cavalry. Written from camp in Berkeley County, West Virginia. Primary topics are troop movements, value of horses, camp life, helpfulness of civilians in providing food and water, and family news. Ervine later served with the 4th Virginia Infantry, was wounded, and taken prisoner. After the war he was a farmer in Brownsburg,...
Scope and Contents Papers consist of: Manuscript notebook compiled by Carpenter during his cadetship, 1852-1856, containing poetry, class notes, autographs of classmates, detailed account of Corps trip to Petersburg and Richmond, October 1855.Two letters written by Carpenter to his father in 1862, including letter of June 16, 1862 describing fighting near Port Republic, Virginia.Letter of recommendation written on Carpenter's behalf by Brigadier General John Echols, submitted to...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous Civil War papers, including letter of commission; promotion order; order to assume duties of Provost Marshall in Winchester, VA; letter to Capt. O'Brien complaining about shortage of rations, etc.; furlough request; receipt.
Scope and Contents Letter (ALS), May 17, 1864, from Confederate soldier Michael F. Rinker to his parents. Written from camp near Spotsylvania Courthouse; discusses battle at Spotsylvania, emphasizing enemy casualities; mentions Battle of New Market (Virginia).
Scope and Contents The collection consists of miscellaneous Civil War papers of Nathaniel C. Wilson (VMI Class of 1861) and misc. papers of other family members. Of the N. C. Wilson portion of the collection, the most significant item is a diary-account book fragment which includes entries (July 25th-July 3, the day of his death) from Pennsylvania and the battlefield at Gettysburg. Other N. C. Wilson items include two letters written while he was a student at the University of Virginia in 1859-1860, and one...
- Subject: Soldiers -- Virginia X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baker, I. Norval (Isaac Norval), 1844-1924
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Barksdale, Alfred D. (Alfred Dickinson), 1892-1972
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Botts, Lawson, 1825-1862
- 1 Boyd, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1842-1909
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Craun, Samuel H., 1821-
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 1 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Fulton Family
- 1 Fulton, Charles M.
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Garland, Samuel, 1830-1862
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hardy, William T. (William Thomas), 1834-1911
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawks, Wells J.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 1 Holman, William H., 1841-
- 6 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 3 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 Massie, James W. (James Woods), 1826-1872
- 1 Massie, Sophonisba Breckinridge
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Meyer, A.
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Pendleton, Alexander Swift, 1840-1864
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Stuart, William D. (William Dabney), 1830-1863
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Varner family
- 1 Varner, Andrew W. (Andrew Wallace), 1831-1910
- 1 Varner, Charles V. (Charles Van Buren), 1838-1907
- 2 Williamson family
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Williamson, William G. (William Garnett), 1840-1898
- 1 Williamson, [I]. D.
- 1 Wilson Family
- 1 Wilson, Nathaniel C., 1839-1863 ∧ less