Showing Collections: 31 - 40 of 43
Scope and Contents Civil War letter from Confederate soldier R. Emmett Martin to his wife, dated 3 July 1862. Letter is headed "Battlefield" and discusses Battle of Malvern Hill (Seven Days' Battle, Peninsular Campaign). Martin writes to "inform you of my safety after the hard fought battle of the lst inst." and disusses heavy casualties in his regiment.
Scope and Contents One volume notebook, ca. 45 pages, containing miscellaneous personal notes (Dec. 1864-April 1865) and brief diary entries (January 1; April 3-13, 1865). Diary portion covers activities of the 1st Engineers Regiment during the last few days of the war; mentions surrender at Appomattox and includes pencil sketch of surrender site. Notes concern supplies, furloughs and desertions, guard rosters; also maxims and quotations from books.
Scope and Contents Commission document, dated May 9, 1861, appointing Samuel Garland, Jr. Colonel in the Virginia Volunteer Forces. Signed by Governor John Letcher. Endorsement on verso by Lewis B. Butler, Justice of the Peace for Prince William County, certifying that Garland took various prescribed oaths.
Scope and Contents Papers consist of 10 miscellaneous documents, 1862-1864, from Craun's military service. Included are receipts; orders regarding foraging and picking up prisoners; ordnance list for Co. H., 12th Virginia Cavalry. 1 receipt dated 1857.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of five letters, 1862-1864, to and from family members, largely concerned with personal family matters, but with some references to the war and civilian life in Fredericksburg and Richmond, Virginia. Other topics include the 47th Virginia Infantry Regiment, including comments about camp life. In addition to the correspondence, the papers contain commissions, orders, certificates, and miscellaneous official documents dating from Brooke's Civil War service and later...
Scope and Contents One letter, dated September 12, 1861, from Confederate soldier Sutton I. Harris, of Shenandoah County, Virginia, to "my dearest Lizzie." The letter was written from camp at Duffield's Station, Jefferson County[West] Virginia and contains complaints about food and camp hardships; mentions being surrounded by federal troops; personal news; mentions Col. Turner Ashby. Harris was a Private serving with the 7th Virginia Cavalry Regiment.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of the Civil War papers (ca. 60 items), 1861-1863, of Colonel William Dabney Stuart. The papers contain correspondence to and from various Confederate Army officers; morning and guard reports; military orders; and invoices and receipts documenting his brief service with the 15th Virginia Infantry Regiment and his command of the 56th Virginia Infantry Regiment. Miscellaneous other items include...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of an original manuscript Civil War notebook, including reports (September 1862-May 1863) submitted to the Chief Engineer's Office, Army of Northern Virginia, in which Williamson discusses destroying bridges at Harper's Ferry, and reconnaissance and mapping trips in the Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont; poetry, notes about architecture and engineering, and Williamson family genealogy. The papers also include miscellaneous correspondence and documents (1868-1898) and...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two documents from the Civil War career of Captain William H. Holman, of Holman's Company, Virginia Light Artillery, CSA (known as the Fluvanna Artillery, No.1). Included are a commission document (June 28, 1861), appointing him Captain in the 2nd Artillery Regiment and signed by Governor John Letcher; and a military order (September 15, 1861) requiring Holman to report to Brig. General Early.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the one volume diary of Confederate soldier William J. Black. The diary entries date from October 1864 - January 1865, written while Black was serving in Captain John J. Shoemaker's Company, Virginia Horse Artillery. Included are brief accounts of various skirmishes and the Battle of Cedar Creek; campsites and positions are recorded daily. Following the diary entries are copies of two of Shoemaker's reports detailing Battery activities, dated September 1, 1864...
- Subject: Soldiers -- Virginia X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baker, I. Norval (Isaac Norval), 1844-1924
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Barksdale, Alfred D. (Alfred Dickinson), 1892-1972
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Botts, Lawson, 1825-1862
- 1 Boyd, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1842-1909
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Craun, Samuel H., 1821-
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 1 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Fulton Family
- 1 Fulton, Charles M.
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Garland, Samuel, 1830-1862
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hardy, William T. (William Thomas), 1834-1911
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawks, Wells J.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 1 Holman, William H., 1841-
- 6 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 3 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 Massie, James W. (James Woods), 1826-1872
- 1 Massie, Sophonisba Breckinridge
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Meyer, A.
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Pendleton, Alexander Swift, 1840-1864
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Stuart, William D. (William Dabney), 1830-1863
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Varner family
- 1 Varner, Andrew W. (Andrew Wallace), 1831-1910
- 1 Varner, Charles V. (Charles Van Buren), 1838-1907
- 2 Williamson family
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Williamson, William G. (William Garnett), 1840-1898
- 1 Williamson, [I]. D.
- 1 Wilson Family
- 1 Wilson, Nathaniel C., 1839-1863 ∧ less