Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
George P. C. Rumbough commencement speech manuscript
Scope and Contents Manuscript, 10 pages, of the commencement speech delivered by VMI Cadet George Rumbough on July 4, 1856.
Hardaway H. Dinwiddie papers
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (6 items) of Hardaway H. Dinwiddie, including manuscript of VMI valedictory speech, 1867; "phrenological analysis" 1858; calling card; poems about the New Market Cadets; certificate of withdrawal from Lexington's Masonic Lodge, 1868; and 1867 VMI commencement program.
John D. deButts collection
Scope and Contents The collection ) consists primarily of certificates, honorary degrees, and miscellaneous awards given to Mr. deButts during his business career, most dating date from the 1960's-1985. The collection also includes 19 volumes of deButts' speeches, 1972-1978. Medals, plaques& other related to these papers are located in the VMI Museum.
Robert E. B. Stewart collection
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, approximately 30 items, of Robert E. B. Stewart. The collection includes a notebook containing orations delivered before VMI cadet debating societies; drawings completed as class assignments at VMI; and a few clippings concerning his life after he left the Institute.
Robert M. T. Hunter manuscript
Scope and Contents 41 page manuscript of speech given at VMI by Senator Robert M. T. Hunter on July 3, 1857 as part of the celebrations marking the end of the academic year. The speech was subsequently printed by McFarlane & Fergusson, Richmond VA, and that published version is also available in the archives.
Samuel D. Rockenbach Papers
Overview Papers (1889-1945) of United States Army officer Samuel Dickerson Rockenbach, notable for his role in the establishment of the U.S. Army Tank Corps during World War I and his postwar work in the development of tank warfare.
Samuel H. Letcher manuscript
Scope and Contents Manuscript (holograph, 19 pages) of VMI valedictory address of Cadet Samuel H. Letcher. The speech was delivered at VMI Finals in July 1869. Annotations by John T. L. Preston.
Published Speeches and Addresses Delivered at the Virginia Military Institute
Scope and Contents A topical and chronological file of pamplets containing the text of speeches and addresses delivered at VMI.
Thomas M. Semmes manuscript
Scope and Contents Manuscript (holograph, 38 pages) of a speech given by VMI Modern Languages Professor Thomas M. Semmes. The speech, concerning Stonewall Jackson, was presented in Richmond circa 1892. Semmes, an 1860 VMI graduate, was a cadet during the time that Jackson was on the VMI faculty.
William P. Tams notebook
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one notebook that belonged to Cadet William P. Tams, Virginia Military Institute Class of 1873. Included are class notes for courses in Mineralogy, Civil and Military Engineering, and Chemistry; a copy of a lecture by Superintendent Francis H. Smith ("Lecture to the 1st Class on Moral Sense, November 5, 1872"); and grade reports in Chemistry, Physiology, Latin and Astronomy.
- Subject: Speeches, addresses, etc. X
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Harbord, James G. (James Guthrie), 1866-1947
- 1 Hunter, R. M. T. (Robert Mercer Taliaferro), 1809-1887
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Letcher, Samuel H. (Samuel Houston), 1848-1914
- 1 MacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Rockenbach, Samuel D. (Samuel Dickerson), 1869-1952
- 1 Rumbough, George P. C., 1834-1916
- 1 Semmes, Thomas M. (Thomas Middleton), 1860-1904
- 1 Stewart, Robert E. B. (Robert Edward Bruce), 1863-1901
- 1 Summerall, Charles Pelot, 1867-1955
- 1 Tams, William P. (William Purviance), 1852-1920
- 1 Wood, Leonard, 1860-1927
- 1 deButts, John D. (John Dulany), 1915-1986 ∧ less