Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 33
Scope and Contents The collection consists of J. Russell Major's World War II papers, primarily letters written to his parents during the period 1942-1945. The early letters covers his training as a Field Artillery officer at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma (1942-1944) and other U. S. bases, including Laurinburg-Maxton Army Air Base (Glider School) and Ft. Bragg, North Carolina. Letters from July 1944-May 1945 date from his service as a forward artillery observer in France and Germany. Other items in the collection include...
Scope and Contents The collection includes military orders, misc. documents relating to bombing missions, misc. other military records, and five photographs. The collection also contains information dating from Randolph's VMI Cadetship, including material relating to his involvement in the production of the "Second Class Show"; and a notebook containing engineering class notes.
Scope and Contents The John K. Davis papers consist of original propaganda leaflets directed at the Japanese troops and civilians, 1945; personal correspondence written to his parents and largely concerning family matters, 1945-1946; formal photographs of Davis from his cadetship, Army career, and civilian career; amateur snapshots of Manila and surrounding area, ca. 1945; maps of Japanese cities issued to officers, 1945; "Guide to Japan", September 1945; and miscellaneous other printed material.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of correspondence (to parents and other family) and two photograph albums documenting service during World War II; the bulk is dated 1942-1946. The letters cover a wide range of topics, including training in Great Britain, field hospital operations in Europe, and comments about daily aspects of war. The photographs document the unit's movements, staff, and activities in England, France and Belgium. In addition, the papers include a photograph album (1936-1937) dating from his...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a cased scrapbook presented to him on his 85th birthday in November 1966, containing biographical information, documents and photographs detailing his military career, including his service during World War I in France; one mounted photograph of Col. Downer; and Downer's presentation copy of the book "Report of the American Olympic Committee, Seventh Olympic Games, Antwerp, Belgium, 1920."
Scope and Contents Documents from the military career of General Lee S. Gerow. The papers includes diplomas, citations, certificates of promotion, photographs, autobiography (14 pp. typescript, 1979), and miscellaneous correspondence.
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents The collection consists of documents and photographs (ca. 120 items) from the military career of U.S. Army General Leonard Townsend Gerow (b. 1888 d.1972). It includes correspondence with General Dwight D. Eisenhower,autobiographical material, speeches (1945-1948), and photographs. Material complementary to this collection is located in his student/alumni file, also located in the VMI Archives.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (16 items) of Louis J. Anjier, Jr., a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute. Class of 1961. The bulk consists of certificates and citations from his United States Army career.
Scope and Contents The papers span the military and civilian careers of General Edgar. Included are files that document every significant Corps of Engineers assignment, arranged chronologically. Included is information about his service overseas at Heilbronn, Germany with the 237th Engineer Battalion (1958-1961); Vietnam War assignments (U. S. Military Assistance Command Vietnam, 1965-66; and as CO 577th Engineer Battalion Construction , 1969-1970; Commander and District Engineer, Little Rock District (1975-1978)...
Scope and Contents The bulk of the papers relate to Anderson's army career. They include flight training documents, photographs, misc. other army records, and a file of documents pertaining to his death and burial.
- Subject: United States -- Army -- Officers X
- 1 Almond, Edward M. (Edward Mallory), 1892-1979
- 1 Anderson, Marvin J. (Marvin Judson), 1921-1943
- 1 Anjier, Louis J.
- 1 Arnold, Thomas St. John
- 1 Britt, Albert S.
- 2 Burress, Withers A. (Withers Alexander), 1894-1977
- 1 Clark, Harold P. (Harold Page), 1921-
- 1 Cochran, William B. (William Burr)
- 1 Couper, John L. (John Lee), 1916-2000
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Davis, John K. (John Kennerly), 1906-1975
- 1 Douglas, Wallace S., 1901-1982
- 1 Downer, John W., 1881-1977
- 1 Edgar, C. Ernest, III, MG (Charles Ernest)
- 1 Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- 1 Gerow, Lee S. (Lee Saunders), 1891-1982
- 1 Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972
- 1 Green, Duff
- 1 Harbord, James G. (James Guthrie), 1866-1947
- 1 Irby, Richard L., 1918-2002
- 1 Kibler, A. Franklin (Abram Franklin), 1891-1955
- 1 Kilbourne, Charles E. (Charles Evans), 1872-1963
- 1 Lee, William F. (William Fitzhugh), 1832-1861
- 1 MacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964
- 1 Major, J. Russell (James Russell), 1921-
- 1 McCuaig, Duncan R., Dr.
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Peay, J. H. Binford, III
- 1 Perkinson, T. Randolph, Jr. (Thomas Randolph), 1895-1973
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Randolph, John H. Jr., 1921-
- 1 Rockenbach, Samuel D. (Samuel Dickerson), 1869-1952
- 1 Ruffner, David L. (David Lewis), 1896-1973
- 1 Sinclair, Richard B. (Richard Bain), 1908-1996
- 1 Sorley, Lewis S., III
- 1 Summerall, Charles Pelot, 1867-1955
- 1 Talbott, Samuel G. (Samuel Greaner), 1877-1965
- 1 Tidwell, William A.
- 1 Tobey, Nelson W. (Nelson Whitney), 1916-2009
- 1 VMI Research Laboratories, Inc.
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 1 Vivian, William R. (William Rhoads), 1911-2009
- 1 Waddill, Edmund C. (Edmund Clivious), 1883-1964
- 1 Westmoreland, William C. (William Childs), 1914-
- 1 Wood, Leonard, 1860-1927 ∧ less