Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 77
Scope and Contents One Civil War document, dated November 25, 1862, from Captain Albert H. Pettigrew, then serving as Capt., CSA Scouts, to Gen. Robert E. Lee. Pettigrew requests to have Private Snow of the 1st South Carolina Infantry Regiment transferred to his company.
Scope and Contents Civil War correspondence of Confederate soldier Andrew J. McCoy, consisting of 3 letters (1863 October 25; 1864 Jan 16 fragment; 1864 March 11) to his sister Martha written while he was serving with the 25th Virginia Infantry Regiment. The letters were written from camps in Culpepper County and Orange County, Virginia. They primarily concern family matters, camp hardships, and personal news, and provide insight into the life and thoughts of an ordinary soldier.
Scope and Contents One parole document releasing Confederate soldier Benjamin Holliday from Point Lookout (MD) prison. On reverse is oath of allegiance to the United States signed by Holliday.
Scope and Contents A collection (1845-1928; bulk dated 1860-1865) of correspondence, photographs, and miscellaneous documents of R. Henry Campbell and members of the Varner family of Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia. Includes Civil War letters of soldiers R. Henry Campbell (1861 April-July) and Charles V. Varner (1864, 1865). The letters were written while they were serving with the Rockbridge Rifles (part of the 4th, 5th, and 27th Virginia Infantry regiments at various dates during the war). Significant...
Scope and Contents Three letters, 1863-1864, written by Dr. Cary C. Cocke to Fayette Jones and Harrison B. Tomlin. Topics include mutual friends (Josh Jones family) who were forced to leave their home in Norfolk; and other news of wartime civilian life. The letter of December 22, 1864 contains references to Cocke's son John, a VMI cadet.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of Derby family correspondence. Approximately twenty-eight letters were written by Charles Derby. The Charles Derby letters, 1844-1862, cover the period from late boyhood up to his death in battle in 1862. Included are letters (1846-1847) written while he was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute, as well as correspondence dating from his careers as teacher and Episcopal clergyman. Two items were written during his brief service in the Confederate...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of the message book and diary (in one volume) kept by Phillips during the period April 24, 1864 - July 13, 1864. Includes details about Signal Corps activities during this period. Mentions seeing the VMI cadets at Hanover Junction on May 23 (including his brother Samuel Travers Phillips), where they stopped on their way to Richmond after the Battle of New Market on May 15.In addition, the papers include 10 miscellaneous documents dated 1864 - 1865, including...
Scope and Contents One letter (1865 March 28) from Charles W. Turner to Major Garnett Andrews, commander of the 2nd Foreign Battalion. Turner discussions his commission, other soldiers, and asks to be appointed 1st Lieutenant in Andrews' unit.
Scope and Contents A small collection of miscellaneous Civil War-related documents; largely items with autograph rather than content significance.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of three letters written to Coleman's sister Lucy during the Civil War, and an autograph album containing inscriptions written by his classmates at VMI, the University of Virginia, and the Medical College of Virginia, ca. 1858-61. The letter of September 17, 1862, from Winchester, Virginia, discusses the Battle of Antietam and caring for wounded; November 4, 1862, Winchester, Virginia, discusses hospitals and care of wounded, General George Steuart, movement of Longstreet's...
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Louisa Catherine, 1775-1852
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Banks, Nathaniel Prentiss, 1816-1894
- 1 Bayly, Thomas M., 1775-1834
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Borders, John
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Breckinridge, John C. (John Cabell), 1821-1875
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Burdett, Elizabeth Ford (Lizzie)
- 1 Cabell, Mayo
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Clarke, John J.
- 1 Cocke family
- 1 Cocke, Cary C. (Cary Charles), 1814-1888
- 1 Cocke, John H. (John Hartwell), 1847-1920
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Comer Family
- 1 Comer, Alexander T. C.
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Douglas, Henry Kyd, 1838-1903
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 DuPont, Henry
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Emory, William H. (William Hemsley), 1811-1887
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Ford, James W. A.
- 1 Forrer, Samuel
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Goodman, George A. (George Augustus), 1828-1884
- 1 Hancock, Winfield Scott, 1824-1886
- 1 Hanley, Timothy
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harman, Michael G., 1822-1877
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Hickman, Joseph
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Holliday, Benjamin T.
- 1 Hotchkiss family
- 2 Hunter, David
- 1 Hunter, R. M. T. (Robert Mercer Taliaferro), 1809-1887
- 1 Hurley, John R.
- 1 Jackson, Henry R.
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 11 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875
- 1 Johnson, Bradley T. (Bradley Tyler), 1829-1903
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 2 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Kemper, James Lawson, 1823-1895
- 1 Key, Francis Scott, 1779-1843
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 3 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 2 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lohr, Zirkle
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marlin, Sidney
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 McKay family
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 3 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less