Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 77
Scope and Contents One letter from Mrs. Comer to her husband, Alexander T. C. Comer, Assistant Surgeon. The letter was written at Winchester, Virginia. The letter contains personal and family news, including mention of a ball given by Gen. Chapman's staff, a wedding, and a sleigh ride.
Scope and Contents Nine bonds ($1000, $500, $100 denominations) issued by the Confederate States of America. Coupons attached.
Scope and Contents Letter, dated 11 May 1863, from Confederate soldier D.E.W. Myers to his brother and sister. The letter was written from "Camp Near Hamilton's Crossing" after the Battle of Chancellorsville; topics include death of Gen. Stonewall Jackson. Myers served as a Sergeant with the 33rd Virginia Infantry Regiment.
Scope and Contents Diary of sixteen year old soldier Edward T. Beall, covering period September 1862 -October 1863. Very brief entries concerning regimental activities (miles marched, location of camps, etc.). The volume begins with a short biographical sketch of Beall's early life. The volume also contains poetry/song: "When This Cruel War is Over", "The Little Girl", "Lieutenant General Jackson"
Scope and Contents The collection consists Civil War papers (8 items, all dated 1861), including two commission documents, extracts from orders, a letter from Governor John Letcher ordering Boykin to proceed to Grafton and communicate with Col. Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall), one letter bearing the signature of Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of correspondence and other material relating to three members of the Fulkerson family: Samuel Vance Fulkerson (1822-1862); his brother, Abram Fulkerson, Jr. (1834-1902); and Abram"s son, Samuel Vance Fulkerson (1863-1926). Significant items are Civil War letters (March-May 1862) written by Samuel V. Fulkerson; Samuel's reports of the Battle of McDowell and the Battle of Winchester, May and June 1862; 3 ...
Scope and Contents Papers consist of eleven items. Included are Goodman's VMI Diploma and Cadet Dialectic Society certificates; letters of recommendation (1859) from Francis H. Smith and Thomas H. Williamson; miscellaneous Civil War documents including commissions, oaths of allegiance, and prison parole.
Scope and Contents A collection of approximately 1000 engravings and mounted photographs which depict various aspects of American military and political history. Subjects include Confederate and Union officers; battles; prisons & other buildings; Presidents and statesmen; Revoutionary and Mexican War officers; bridges and implements of war.
Identifier: MS-0102-Item 185
Scope and Contents Letter written by George Koontz of the Danville Artillery (Rice's Artillery Battery) at the Battle of Chancellorsville. Includes information about the wounding and death of Stonewall Jackson.
Scope and Contents Correspondence of Confederate soldier Henry H. Dedrick, a private in the 52nd Virginia Infantry Regiment. Bulk consists of letters to and from his wife, Mary E.A. Dedrick ("Lissa" or "Lizza"). Subjects include camp life, regimental activities, family and personal news, hardships endured by civilians. Letter of May 10-11, 1863 mentions wounding and death of Gen. Stonewall Jackson.
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Louisa Catherine, 1775-1852
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Banks, Nathaniel Prentiss, 1816-1894
- 1 Bayly, Thomas M., 1775-1834
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Borders, John
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Breckinridge, John C. (John Cabell), 1821-1875
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Burdett, Elizabeth Ford (Lizzie)
- 1 Cabell, Mayo
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Clarke, John J.
- 1 Cocke family
- 1 Cocke, Cary C. (Cary Charles), 1814-1888
- 1 Cocke, John H. (John Hartwell), 1847-1920
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Comer Family
- 1 Comer, Alexander T. C.
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Douglas, Henry Kyd, 1838-1903
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 DuPont, Henry
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Emory, William H. (William Hemsley), 1811-1887
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Ford, James W. A.
- 1 Forrer, Samuel
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Goodman, George A. (George Augustus), 1828-1884
- 1 Hancock, Winfield Scott, 1824-1886
- 1 Hanley, Timothy
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harman, Michael G., 1822-1877
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Hickman, Joseph
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Holliday, Benjamin T.
- 1 Hotchkiss family
- 2 Hunter, David
- 1 Hunter, R. M. T. (Robert Mercer Taliaferro), 1809-1887
- 1 Hurley, John R.
- 1 Jackson, Henry R.
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 11 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875
- 1 Johnson, Bradley T. (Bradley Tyler), 1829-1903
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 2 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Kemper, James Lawson, 1823-1895
- 1 Key, Francis Scott, 1779-1843
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 3 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 2 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lohr, Zirkle
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marlin, Sidney
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 McKay family
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 3 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less