Showing Collections: 51 - 60 of 77
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents Civil War papers (ca. 80 items) of Captain Richard H. Adams, Jr. Consist of manuscript diary kept while serving with the 5th Alabama Regiment in Virginia, April-June 1862, with accompanying typewritten transcription. Transcriptions only of two additional diary volumes (Sept. 1862-March 1863; and prison diary, 1864-1865); 47 original letters (Nov. 1863-Sept. 1866) to Lottie Putnam Adams, most written before their marriage while he was a prisoner of war; 23 original letters from Lottie to...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (3 items) of Richard S. Ewell. Includes a letter written while he was a cadet at West Point (June 17, 1838) to Benjamin S. Ewell of York, PA; and 2 Civil War dispatches (1862 and 1864). The collection also contains a map fo the Cedar Mountain battlefield drawn by Gen. Ewell.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of five letters, 1862-1864, to and from family members, largely concerned with personal family matters, but with some references to the war and civilian life in Fredericksburg and Richmond, Virginia. Other topics include the 47th Virginia Infantry Regiment, including comments about camp life. In addition to the correspondence, the papers contain commissions, orders, certificates, and miscellaneous official documents dating from Brooke's Civil War service and later...
Scope and Contents A collection of over 100 bonds issued by the Confederate States of America and by individual southern states.
Scope and Contents The collection contains three manuscript notebooks containing verse letters, poetry, notes, and a few newspaper clippings, bulk 1861-1865. One of the volumes is titled "Order Book, 9th Regiment Va. Volunteers, Craney Island"; on the endsheets of this book are glued original manuscript signatures of VMI faculty and others , apparently clipped from letters. The pages of this volume contain Sara's writings. A folder that contains Sara's writings on loose pages within the "Order Book" is also part...
Scope and Contents Letter from Sidney Marlin, a Union soldier (U. S. Army Signal Corps), to his wife Sallie [Sarah]. Dated June 14, 1864 from Lexington, Virginia, where Union forces were camped during Hunter's Raid. Marlin describes the Institute, comments on the destruction of VMI and Governor Letcher's property.
Scope and Contents Nineteenth century engravings and lithographs depicting Generals Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee. These were among the many prints that depicted significant figures of the Confederacy and were a popular fixture in many post-Civil War homes in the South.
Overview The Stonewall Jackson Papers consist primarily of Jackson's outgoing personal correspondence for the years 1844-1860. The collection also contains a relatively small number of Civil War era papers, as well as the papers of Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, his second wife, and papers of the Arnold family.
Scope and Contents One letter, dated September 12, 1861, from Confederate soldier Sutton I. Harris, of Shenandoah County, Virginia, to "my dearest Lizzie." The letter was written from camp at Duffield's Station, Jefferson County[West] Virginia and contains complaints about food and camp hardships; mentions being surrounded by federal troops; personal news; mentions Col. Turner Ashby. Harris was a Private serving with the 7th Virginia Cavalry Regiment.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of Thomas H. Williamson's Civil War memoirs, in which he discusses the events that took place during his temporary assignment to the command of Major General Thomas J. (Stonewall) beginning in April 1862; lecture notes (1850's) used in teaching his engineering and architecture courses at the Virginia Military Institute; 2 copies of the textbook written by Williamson for use at VMI, An Elementary Course of Architecture and Civil Engineering;...
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Louisa Catherine, 1775-1852
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Banks, Nathaniel Prentiss, 1816-1894
- 1 Bayly, Thomas M., 1775-1834
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Borders, John
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Breckinridge, John C. (John Cabell), 1821-1875
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Burdett, Elizabeth Ford (Lizzie)
- 1 Cabell, Mayo
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Clarke, John J.
- 1 Cocke family
- 1 Cocke, Cary C. (Cary Charles), 1814-1888
- 1 Cocke, John H. (John Hartwell), 1847-1920
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Comer Family
- 1 Comer, Alexander T. C.
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Douglas, Henry Kyd, 1838-1903
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 DuPont, Henry
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Emory, William H. (William Hemsley), 1811-1887
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Ford, James W. A.
- 1 Forrer, Samuel
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Goodman, George A. (George Augustus), 1828-1884
- 1 Hancock, Winfield Scott, 1824-1886
- 1 Hanley, Timothy
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harman, Michael G., 1822-1877
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Hickman, Joseph
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Holliday, Benjamin T.
- 1 Hotchkiss family
- 2 Hunter, David
- 1 Hunter, R. M. T. (Robert Mercer Taliaferro), 1809-1887
- 1 Hurley, John R.
- 1 Jackson, Henry R.
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 11 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875
- 1 Johnson, Bradley T. (Bradley Tyler), 1829-1903
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 2 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Kemper, James Lawson, 1823-1895
- 1 Key, Francis Scott, 1779-1843
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 3 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 2 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lohr, Zirkle
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marlin, Sidney
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 McKay family
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 3 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less