Showing Collections: 61 - 70 of 77
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, 8 items, of Thomas M. Rutherfoord. The papers include a paroled prisoner's pass, dated 1865 April 10, from Appomattox Court House; two letters, 1907 and 1911, from Andrew Pizzini, Jr. (VMI Class of 1865 & New Market Cadet); & other documents (1906-1907), primarily concerned with Confederate veterans' activities.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas M. Wade to his sister Lou, written while he was serving as a Private in the 1st Rockbridge Artillery Battery. Topics include daily camp life; personal news; and brief references to Stonewall Jackson and the battle at Antietam (Sharpsburg). The papers also include one post-war photograph of Wade, circa 1870. The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas...
Scope and Contents Confederate States of America receipt for purchase of $1000 in bonds, issued to Thornton Thomas. The document is dated March 31, 1864, Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Scope and Contents Three volume Civil War era diary of Union soldier Uri (possibly Uriah) B. Scofield, who served with the 18th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The diary entries are not detailed, although some information about regimental activities is provided. Volume I (1864) includes the unit's march through the Shenandoah Valley and mentions the burning of the Virginia Military Institute in June 1864.
Scope and Contents 2 documents concerning VMI's claim against the United States government for "damages and destruction of library, scientific appartatus and the quarters of professors in June 1864", while Union troops occupied Lexington, Virginia. VMI was awarded $100,000 in 1915.
Item — Box: Institute Physician, Folder: Report, 1864
Identifier: RG-04-Physician-1864 Report
Scope and Contents Special report written by VMI Surgeon Robert L. Madison on July 1, 1864 after Hunter's Raid during the Civil War., "Estimating losses sustained by the hospital at the hands of Yankee thieves and incendiaries on June 11, 1864."
Scope and Contents Civil War letter written by Union soldier W. W. Hawkins to his father. The letter is dated November 20, 1862 from "Camp at Fairmount, Near Fredericksburg, VA." The letter contains comments about military life (marching, lack of rations, talking with Confederate soldiers encamped across the river, cavalry foraging for food).
Scope and Contents Civil War letter, dated November 22, 1863, from Union soldier Walter Jordan to "Friend Croswell." Jordan was writing from "camp near Brandy Station." The letter contains mostly personal news and comments about his family; Jordan expresses frustration at indecision of officers and states that "I hope they will come at some plan so as to move on the enemy or else go into winter quarters and settle down untill spring."
Scope and Contents This detailed letter provides an eyewitness account of the last days of the Civil War in Richmond, Virginia, the capital of the Confederacy. Oscar Weisiger, a long-time city resident and businessman, describes the evacuation of the city, the extensive fires, the occupation of the city by federal troops and the troops' treatment of former slaves, the problems he faces in attempting to reestablish his mercantile business, and a discussion of his relationship with northern creditors. The letter is...
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of the Civil War papers (ca. 60 items), 1861-1863, of Colonel William Dabney Stuart. The papers contain correspondence to and from various Confederate Army officers; morning and guard reports; military orders; and invoices and receipts documenting his brief service with the 15th Virginia Infantry Regiment and his command of the 56th Virginia Infantry Regiment. Miscellaneous other items include...
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Louisa Catherine, 1775-1852
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Banks, Nathaniel Prentiss, 1816-1894
- 1 Bayly, Thomas M., 1775-1834
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Borders, John
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Breckinridge, John C. (John Cabell), 1821-1875
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Burdett, Elizabeth Ford (Lizzie)
- 1 Cabell, Mayo
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Clarke, John J.
- 1 Cocke family
- 1 Cocke, Cary C. (Cary Charles), 1814-1888
- 1 Cocke, John H. (John Hartwell), 1847-1920
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Comer Family
- 1 Comer, Alexander T. C.
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Douglas, Henry Kyd, 1838-1903
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 DuPont, Henry
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Emory, William H. (William Hemsley), 1811-1887
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Ford, James W. A.
- 1 Forrer, Samuel
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Goodman, George A. (George Augustus), 1828-1884
- 1 Hancock, Winfield Scott, 1824-1886
- 1 Hanley, Timothy
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harman, Michael G., 1822-1877
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Hickman, Joseph
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Holliday, Benjamin T.
- 1 Hotchkiss family
- 2 Hunter, David
- 1 Hunter, R. M. T. (Robert Mercer Taliaferro), 1809-1887
- 1 Hurley, John R.
- 1 Jackson, Henry R.
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 11 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875
- 1 Johnson, Bradley T. (Bradley Tyler), 1829-1903
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 2 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Kemper, James Lawson, 1823-1895
- 1 Key, Francis Scott, 1779-1843
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 3 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 2 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lohr, Zirkle
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marlin, Sidney
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 McKay family
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 3 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less