Showing Collections: 11 - 18 of 18
Scope and Contents The collections consists of 12 letters from Confederate soldier J. R. [likely John] Hurley (Private, Co. "A", 39th Alabama Infantry Regiment) to his sisters. The letters were written from camps at Tupelo, Mississippi; and Shelbyville and Chattanooga, Tennessee. Topics include camp life and hardships; personal news.
Scope and Contents Papers consist of: Manuscript notebook compiled by Carpenter during his cadetship, 1852-1856, containing poetry, class notes, autographs of classmates, detailed account of Corps trip to Petersburg and Richmond, October 1855.Two letters written by Carpenter to his father in 1862, including letter of June 16, 1862 describing fighting near Port Republic, Virginia.Letter of recommendation written on Carpenter's behalf by Brigadier General John Echols, submitted to...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of miscellaneous Civil War papers of Nathaniel C. Wilson (VMI Class of 1861) and misc. papers of other family members. Of the N. C. Wilson portion of the collection, the most significant item is a diary-account book fragment which includes entries (July 25th-July 3, the day of his death) from Pennsylvania and the battlefield at Gettysburg. Other N. C. Wilson items include two letters written while he was a student at the University of Virginia in 1859-1860, and one...
Scope and Contents One letter, dated September 12, 1861, from Confederate soldier Sutton I. Harris, of Shenandoah County, Virginia, to "my dearest Lizzie." The letter was written from camp at Duffield's Station, Jefferson County[West] Virginia and contains complaints about food and camp hardships; mentions being surrounded by federal troops; personal news; mentions Col. Turner Ashby. Harris was a Private serving with the 7th Virginia Cavalry Regiment.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of Thomas H. Williamson's Civil War memoirs, in which he discusses the events that took place during his temporary assignment to the command of Major General Thomas J. (Stonewall) beginning in April 1862; lecture notes (1850's) used in teaching his engineering and architecture courses at the Virginia Military Institute; 2 copies of the textbook written by Williamson for use at VMI, An Elementary Course of Architecture and Civil Engineering;...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas M. Wade to his sister Lou, written while he was serving as a Private in the 1st Rockbridge Artillery Battery. Topics include daily camp life; personal news; and brief references to Stonewall Jackson and the battle at Antietam (Sharpsburg). The papers also include one post-war photograph of Wade, circa 1870. The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of an original manuscript Civil War notebook, including reports (September 1862-May 1863) submitted to the Chief Engineer's Office, Army of Northern Virginia, in which Williamson discusses destroying bridges at Harper's Ferry, and reconnaissance and mapping trips in the Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont; poetry, notes about architecture and engineering, and Williamson family genealogy. The papers also include miscellaneous correspondence and documents (1868-1898) and...
Contents Note Papers, ca. 75 items, of William T. Poague. The collection includes the handwritten manuscripts of his Civil War memoirs, written in 1903 (later edited and published as the book "Gunner with Stonewall"); also includes general correspondence and letters relating to Poague's membership in Confederate veteran's organizations; battery rolls; and miscellaneous other documents.
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hurley, John R.
- 5 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Poague, William Thomas, 1835-1914
- 1 Stancell Family
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Wade, Thomas M. (Thomas Morrell), 1842-1928
- 1 Williamson family
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Williamson, William G. (William Garnett), 1840-1898
- 1 Wilson Family
- 1 Wilson, Nathaniel C., 1839-1863 ∧ less