Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 29
Scope and Contents Hanna's diary contains a colorful account of life at VMI and in Lexington during the spring of 1864. Entries begin April 17, 1864 and end May 9, 1864. On May 10, the cadets were called to active duty at the request of Gen. John C. Breckinridge and on May 15 participated in the Battle of New Market. The entries contain comments about VMI activities and people, Lexington social life, and discussion of personal concerns. This volume was picked up by a Union soldier, probably when Union...
Scope and Contents Letter (June 18, 1861) from Confederate soldier John Hamilton Ervine of Bridgewater, Rockingham County, Virginia, to his wife. Ervine was 2nd Sgt., Company I, 1st Virginia Cavalry. Written from camp in Berkeley County, West Virginia. Primary topics are troop movements, value of horses, camp life, helpfulness of civilians in providing food and water, and family news. Ervine later served with the 4th Virginia Infantry, was wounded, and taken prisoner. After the war he was a farmer in Brownsburg,...
Scope and Contents The collections consists of 12 letters from Confederate soldier J. R. [likely John] Hurley (Private, Co. "A", 39th Alabama Infantry Regiment) to his sisters. The letters were written from camps at Tupelo, Mississippi; and Shelbyville and Chattanooga, Tennessee. Topics include camp life and hardships; personal news.
Scope and Contents Papers consist of: Manuscript notebook compiled by Carpenter during his cadetship, 1852-1856, containing poetry, class notes, autographs of classmates, detailed account of Corps trip to Petersburg and Richmond, October 1855.Two letters written by Carpenter to his father in 1862, including letter of June 16, 1862 describing fighting near Port Republic, Virginia.Letter of recommendation written on Carpenter's behalf by Brigadier General John Echols, submitted to...
Scope and Contents Diary of Union soldier Joseph W. Crowther, who served during the Civil War with Company H., 128th New York Infantry Regiment. Diary is bound in leather, ca. 3 1/2" x 6" x 14", 131 pages; entries begin November 9 1864 and end July 23 1865 when regiment is disbanded. Crowther describes camp life; foraging; skirmishes; winter quarters in Winchester, Virginia; transport via steamship to Fort Monroe, Virginia and Savannah, Georgia; soldiers receiving news of the assassination of President Lincoln;...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of miscellaneous Civil War papers of Nathaniel C. Wilson (VMI Class of 1861) and misc. papers of other family members. Of the N. C. Wilson portion of the collection, the most significant item is a diary-account book fragment which includes entries (July 25th-July 3, the day of his death) from Pennsylvania and the battlefield at Gettysburg. Other N. C. Wilson items include two letters written while he was a student at the University of Virginia in 1859-1860, and one...
Scope and Contents The New Market Collection consists primarily of reminiscences of the Battle of New Market Virginia (May 15, 1864) written by participants and other witnesses between 1894-1915. Written in response to specific inquiries and questionnaires, these memoirs were collected by various groups and individuals, including the VMI Alumni Association, author/historian Edward R. Turner, Henry A. Wise (VMI Class of 1862 and battle veteran) and Benjamin A. Colonna (VMI Class of 1864 and battle veteran). In...
Scope and Contents Civil War letter from Confederate soldier R. Emmett Martin to his wife, dated 3 July 1862. Letter is headed "Battlefield" and discusses Battle of Malvern Hill (Seven Days' Battle, Peninsular Campaign). Martin writes to "inform you of my safety after the hard fought battle of the lst inst." and disusses heavy casualties in his regiment.
Scope and Contents Letter from Sidney Marlin, a Union soldier (U. S. Army Signal Corps), to his wife Sallie [Sarah]. Dated June 14, 1864 from Lexington, Virginia, where Union forces were camped during Hunter's Raid. Marlin describes the Institute, comments on the destruction of VMI and Governor Letcher's property.
Scope and Contents One letter, dated September 12, 1861, from Confederate soldier Sutton I. Harris, of Shenandoah County, Virginia, to "my dearest Lizzie." The letter was written from camp at Duffield's Station, Jefferson County[West] Virginia and contains complaints about food and camp hardships; mentions being surrounded by federal troops; personal news; mentions Col. Turner Ashby. Harris was a Private serving with the 7th Virginia Cavalry Regiment.
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Emory, William H. (William Hemsley), 1811-1887
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 2 Hunter, David
- 1 Hurley, John R.
- 6 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Marlin, Sidney
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Poague, William Thomas, 1835-1914
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Stancell Family
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Wade, Thomas M. (Thomas Morrell), 1842-1928
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922
- 1 Williamson family
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Williamson, William G. (William Garnett), 1840-1898
- 1 Wilson Family
- 1 Wilson, Nathaniel C., 1839-1863
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918 ∧ less