Showing Collections: 21 - 29 of 29
Scope and Contents The papers consist of Thomas H. Williamson's Civil War memoirs, in which he discusses the events that took place during his temporary assignment to the command of Major General Thomas J. (Stonewall) beginning in April 1862; lecture notes (1850's) used in teaching his engineering and architecture courses at the Virginia Military Institute; 2 copies of the textbook written by Williamson for use at VMI, An Elementary Course of Architecture and Civil Engineering;...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas M. Wade to his sister Lou, written while he was serving as a Private in the 1st Rockbridge Artillery Battery. Topics include daily camp life; personal news; and brief references to Stonewall Jackson and the battle at Antietam (Sharpsburg). The papers also include one post-war photograph of Wade, circa 1870. The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas...
Scope and Contents Three volume Civil War era diary of Union soldier Uri (possibly Uriah) B. Scofield, who served with the 18th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The diary entries are not detailed, although some information about regimental activities is provided. Volume I (1864) includes the unit's march through the Shenandoah Valley and mentions the burning of the Virginia Military Institute in June 1864.
Scope and Contents Civil War letter written by Union soldier W. W. Hawkins to his father. The letter is dated November 20, 1862 from "Camp at Fairmount, Near Fredericksburg, VA." The letter contains comments about military life (marching, lack of rations, talking with Confederate soldiers encamped across the river, cavalry foraging for food).
Scope and Contents Civil War letter, dated November 22, 1863, from Union soldier Walter Jordan to "Friend Croswell." Jordan was writing from "camp near Brandy Station." The letter contains mostly personal news and comments about his family; Jordan expresses frustration at indecision of officers and states that "I hope they will come at some plan so as to move on the enemy or else go into winter quarters and settle down untill spring."
Scope and Contents Two versions of the Civil War memoirs of a Union soldier who served during the Shenandoah Valley Campaign, 1864. Unbound manuscript consists of 77 pages, probably written soon after the end of the war.This detailed account of his service includes information about the burning of the Virginia Military Institute by General David Hunter in June 1864; the advance on Lynchburg, Virginia; and his unit's retreat after the Battle of Lynchburg to Charleston and Parkersburg, West...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of an original manuscript Civil War notebook, including reports (September 1862-May 1863) submitted to the Chief Engineer's Office, Army of Northern Virginia, in which Williamson discusses destroying bridges at Harper's Ferry, and reconnaissance and mapping trips in the Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont; poetry, notes about architecture and engineering, and Williamson family genealogy. The papers also include miscellaneous correspondence and documents (1868-1898) and...
Scope and Contents The collection contains the "Rebellion Record of Brevet Major General W. H. Emory" (1872, 50 pages, holograph); reports holograph (2 volumes) of Union Forces during the Red River Campaign, 1864 (13th, 16th, 17th, 19th Army Corps); and reports, holograph (1 volume) of Union Forces during the Shenandoah Valley Campaign, 1864. (19th Army Corps).
Contents Note Papers, ca. 75 items, of William T. Poague. The collection includes the handwritten manuscripts of his Civil War memoirs, written in 1903 (later edited and published as the book "Gunner with Stonewall"); also includes general correspondence and letters relating to Poague's membership in Confederate veteran's organizations; battery rolls; and miscellaneous other documents.
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Emory, William H. (William Hemsley), 1811-1887
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 2 Hunter, David
- 1 Hurley, John R.
- 6 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Marlin, Sidney
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Poague, William Thomas, 1835-1914
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Stancell Family
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Wade, Thomas M. (Thomas Morrell), 1842-1928
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922
- 1 Williamson family
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Williamson, William G. (William Garnett), 1840-1898
- 1 Wilson Family
- 1 Wilson, Nathaniel C., 1839-1863
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918 ∧ less