Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 59
A. Meyer Civil War letter
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter from Confederate cavalry soldier A. (possibly Andrew) Meyer, dated October 17, 1863, written from Headquarters, Department of East Tennessee, Abingdon, Virginia. The letter is addressed to Mrs. Mary Taylor Fulton, the widow of the Reverend Creed Fulton and the Mother of VMI New Market Cadet Charles M. Fulton (VMI Class of 1867). Mrs. Fulton was living at Rich Valley, Smythe County, Virginia. The letter concerns Meyer's request to leave his horse on the...
Alexander S. ( Sandie ) Pendleton Civil War papers
Scope and Contents
The papers consist of Pendleton's miscellaneous Civil War papers, including military orders and dispatches directed to Gen. Richard S. Ewell and others; a note from Pendleton to his father concerning the death of General Stonewall Jackson in May 1863; a request for a leave of absence, and other documents.
Andrew J. McCoy Civil War Letters
Scope and Contents Civil War correspondence of Confederate soldier Andrew J. McCoy, consisting of 3 letters (1863 October 25; 1864 Jan 16 fragment; 1864 March 11) to his sister Martha written while he was serving with the 25th Virginia Infantry Regiment. The letters were written from camps in Culpepper County and Orange County, Virginia. They primarily concern family matters, camp hardships, and personal news, and provide insight into the life and thoughts of an ordinary soldier.
Andrew Pizzini Civil War Parole Document
Scope and Contents Civil War parole document dated April 18, 1865, signed by Andrew Pizzini, Jr. This document is a typical example of the document signed by Confederate prisoners at the end of the Civil War.
Isaac Norval Baker Civil War Memoirs
Scope and Contents The collection consists of an original manuscript fragment (ca. 12 pages) and typewritten transcription (21 pages) describing Isaac Norval Baker's Civil War service as a Private in the Confederate Army's 18th Virginia Cavalry Regiment. Baker's language is descriptive and lively, and the account includes many vignettes that provide insight into the lives of both soldiers and civilians. The narrative covers the period June 1863-April 1865; topics include camp life, wartime hardships, battles...
Benjamin F. Oakes Civil War Letter
Scope and Contents One letter (December 13, 1864) from Union soldier Capt. Benjamin F. Oakes of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery to J. G. Richardson. The letter was written from "in the field" near Petersburg, Virginia. Oakes describes in detail the destruction of the Weldon Railroad by Union troops and the burning buildings in Sussex Courthouse. VA. Oakes was originally from Old Town, Maine and resided post-war in East Tawas, Michigan.
Charles E. Lightfoot Civil War Letter
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one page Civil War letter, dated 1865 March 17, from Headquarters, Artillery Defenses, Richmond, Virginia. The letter was written by Confederate officer Lt. Col. Charles E. Lightfoot to Colonel Benjamin S. Ewell, brother and staff officer to General Richard S. Ewell. Lightfoot asks for a clarification of command responsibility for Richmond's artillery defenses, stating that the present command situation places him in conflict with Lt. Col. Carter M. Braxton. General...
Clayton G. Coleman Papers
Scope and Contents The papers consist of three letters written to Coleman's sister Lucy during the Civil War, and an autograph album containing inscriptions written by his classmates at VMI, the University of Virginia, and the Medical College of Virginia, ca. 1858-61. The letter of September 17, 1862, from Winchester, Virginia, discusses the Battle of Antietam and caring for wounded; November 4, 1862, Winchester, Virginia, discusses hospitals and care of wounded, General George Steuart, movement of Longstreet's...
Derastus E. W. Myers letter
Scope and Contents Letter, dated 11 May 1863, from Confederate soldier D.E.W. Myers to his brother and sister. The letter was written from "Camp Near Hamilton's Crossing" after the Battle of Chancellorsville; topics include death of Gen. Stonewall Jackson. Myers served as a Sergeant with the 33rd Virginia Infantry Regiment.
Dunlap Family letters
Scope and Contents 2 letters, 1864, regarding members of the Dunlap family of Jennings Gap, Augusta Co., Virginia. May 20th, 1864--Confederate soldier Robert B. Dunlap to his mother Margaret Dunlap, written from camp near Spotsylvania Courthouse; describes aftermath of battle, seeing battlefield covered with dead and wounded. July 13, 1864, Adam Dunlap, a Union loyalist, to his brother Robert, from Warnsburg, Missouri; discusses murder of their brother Jim (also a Union loyalist) by a member of his own unit;...
- Subject: Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baker, I. Norval (Isaac Norval), 1844-1924
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Botts, Lawson, 1825-1862
- 1 Boyd, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1842-1909
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Burdett, Elizabeth Ford (Lizzie)
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Craun, Samuel H., 1821-
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 2 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Ford, James W. A.
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Fulton Family
- 1 Fulton, Charles M.
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Garland, Samuel, 1830-1862
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harman, Michael G., 1822-1877
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Hawks, Wells J.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Holman, William H., 1841-
- 1 Hunter, David
- 1 Imboden, John D. (John Daniel), 1823-1895
- 1 Jackson, Henry R.
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 11 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 3 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Mahone, William
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Meyer, A.
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Norton, John T.
- 1 Oakes, Benjamin F.
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Pendleton, Alexander Swift, 1840-1864
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Slaughter, P. M.
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Trimble, Isaac Ridgeway, 1802-1888
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922
- 2 Williamson family
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less