Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 59
Scope and Contents Diary of sixteen year old soldier Edward T. Beall, covering period September 1862 -October 1863. Very brief entries concerning regimental activities (miles marched, location of camps, etc.). The volume begins with a short biographical sketch of Beall's early life. The volume also contains poetry/song: "When This Cruel War is Over", "The Little Girl", "Lieutenant General Jackson"
Scope and Contents The collection consists Civil War papers (8 items, all dated 1861), including two commission documents, extracts from orders, a letter from Governor John Letcher ordering Boykin to proceed to Grafton and communicate with Col. Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall), one letter bearing the signature of Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of correspondence and other material relating to three members of the Fulkerson family: Samuel Vance Fulkerson (1822-1862); his brother, Abram Fulkerson, Jr. (1834-1902); and Abram"s son, Samuel Vance Fulkerson (1863-1926). Significant items are Civil War letters (March-May 1862) written by Samuel V. Fulkerson; Samuel's reports of the Battle of McDowell and the Battle of Winchester, May and June 1862; 3 ...
Identifier: MS-0102-Item 185
Scope and Contents Letter written by George Koontz of the Danville Artillery (Rice's Artillery Battery) at the Battle of Chancellorsville. Includes information about the wounding and death of Stonewall Jackson.
Scope and Contents Four Civil War era letters concerning Henkel and Kagey families of New Market, Virginia. Jan.2, 1863, Confederate soldier David Henkel (Price's Light Artillery) to his brother; discusses wounding of Capt. George W. Wooding; winter quarters. June 19, 1863, David to brother; on march to Maryland; needs money. 1863 Nov. 7, Mary Kagey of New Market to her brother David Kagey, a student at the University of Virginia; discusses family news, domestic matters, news of soldiers capture. Jan. 15, 1864,...
Scope and Contents Correspondence of Confederate soldier Henry H. Dedrick, a private in the 52nd Virginia Infantry Regiment. Bulk consists of letters to and from his wife, Mary E.A. Dedrick ("Lissa" or "Lizza"). Subjects include camp life, regimental activities, family and personal news, hardships endured by civilians. Letter of May 10-11, 1863 mentions wounding and death of Gen. Stonewall Jackson.
Scope and Contents Two letters (1862 and 1870) written by Confederate Brigadier General Isaac R. Trimble. The first, dated July 24, 1862 and addressed to "Genl." (possibly to Stonewall Jackson), reports that he has occupied Manassas, captured guns and stores, and taken prisoners. The second item, dated October 1870, declines an invitation to a fair.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of letters written by James Harden to his sister, covering wartime events experienced by his unit as well as his time at Ft. Delaware. Also included is one letter written from VMI in June 1861 and miscellaneous items.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter (April 5, 1861) from James B. Terrill to Virginia's Governor, John Letcher. Terrill offers to serve as an officer in the Virginia Volunteers and gives a brief account of his previous military experience. Endorsement by John B. Baldwin.
Scope and Contents Civil War letter, addressed to his father, is dated August 26, 1862 and was written from Alexandria, Virginia, where the Regiment was encamped. Drake presents his views on slavery, discusses the beauty of the city, mentions inaccuracy of northern war news ("Don't you believe all your Northern papers say, the Union is in great danger of a complete defeat.") and discusses Union officers' view of Stonewall Jackson ("Most of our officers have a great fear of Jackson.")
- Subject: Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baker, I. Norval (Isaac Norval), 1844-1924
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Botts, Lawson, 1825-1862
- 1 Boyd, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1842-1909
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Burdett, Elizabeth Ford (Lizzie)
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Craun, Samuel H., 1821-
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 2 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Ford, James W. A.
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Fulton Family
- 1 Fulton, Charles M.
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Garland, Samuel, 1830-1862
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harman, Michael G., 1822-1877
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Hawks, Wells J.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Holman, William H., 1841-
- 1 Hunter, David
- 1 Imboden, John D. (John Daniel), 1823-1895
- 1 Jackson, Henry R.
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 11 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 3 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Mahone, William
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Meyer, A.
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Norton, John T.
- 1 Oakes, Benjamin F.
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Pendleton, Alexander Swift, 1840-1864
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Slaughter, P. M.
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Trimble, Isaac Ridgeway, 1802-1888
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922
- 2 Williamson family
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less