Showing Collections: 21 - 30 of 59
James W. A. Ford letter
Scope and Contents One letter (September 20, 1863) from James W. A. Ford of Lewisburg WV to his cousin Caroline. He discusses the death from the effects of childbirth of his sister Lizzie Burdett. He also mentions that he has raised a company of cavalry.
John D. Imboden papers
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (1862-1891, 5 items) of Confederate General John D. Imboden. One document dates from the Civil War and concerns the subpoena of witnesses for the trial of a man accused of collaborating with enemy; letter to Col. Abram Fulkerson (June 21, 1889) pertaining to donation of Lt. Col. W. S. Lincoln's field glasses to VMI; the other documents are dated post-war and pertain to various personal and business matters.
John E. Roller Papers
Scope and Contents The John E. Roller Papers consist of personal incoming and outgoing correspondence, 1862-1870, including Civil War era letters from cadet friends concerning life at VMI; Civil War dispatches and telegrams (1864), dating from his service with the Confederate States Engineers, including one document signed by General Robert E. Lee; scrapbook, ca. 1910, containing clippings about Civil War battles, veterans, unit reunions, monument...
John Garibaldi Civil War papers
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of 38 letters, 1862-1864, written by Garibaldi to his wife Sarah during his service in the Confederate Army (27th Virginia Infantry Regiment). Primary topics include camp life, the hardships of war for both soldiers and civilians, battles and skirmishes (including Chancellorsville and Gettysburg), other members of the 27th Virginia Infantry Regiment, and family news. The letter of May 11, 1863...
John H. Ervine Civil War letter
Scope and Contents Letter (June 18, 1861) from Confederate soldier John Hamilton Ervine of Bridgewater, Rockingham County, Virginia, to his wife. Ervine was 2nd Sgt., Company I, 1st Virginia Cavalry. Written from camp in Berkeley County, West Virginia. Primary topics are troop movements, value of horses, camp life, helpfulness of civilians in providing food and water, and family news. Ervine later served with the 4th Virginia Infantry, was wounded, and taken prisoner. After the war he was a farmer in Brownsburg,...
John P. Welsh letter
Scope and Contents Letter, May 12, 1863, written by Confederate soldier John P. Welsh to his wife and mother. Welsh, a staff officer, was in camp near Hamilton's Crossing after the Battle of Chancellorsville and the letter mentions the death of Stonewall Jackson. Welsh was killed later that year.
John T. Norton Civil War Letter
Scope and Contents One Civil War letter written by Union soldier John T. Norton (Lieut., 97th Regiment New York State Volunteers) to his father, Morgan Norton of Norway, NY. The letter is dated May 23rd, 1863. Norton discusses the Battle of Chancellorsville and mentions the death of Stonewall Jackson, referring to him as"the bravest of the brave."
Johnson Family Papers
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 26 letters, bulk 1862-1865, from Mortimer Johnson and his son Porter to members of their immediate family. The Johnson family, originally from West Virginia, moved to Brownsburg in Rockbridge County, Virginia, although they maintained close ties to their former home. Topics in Mortimer's letters include civilian life during the war; the animosity between Union and Confederate sympathizers in West Virginia (the letter of April 28, 1863 discusses the Union loyalty of...
Joseph W. Crowther diary
Scope and Contents Diary of Union soldier Joseph W. Crowther, who served during the Civil War with Company H., 128th New York Infantry Regiment. Diary is bound in leather, ca. 3 1/2" x 6" x 14", 131 pages; entries begin November 9 1864 and end July 23 1865 when regiment is disbanded. Crowther describes camp life; foraging; skirmishes; winter quarters in Winchester, Virginia; transport via steamship to Fort Monroe, Virginia and Savannah, Georgia; soldiers receiving news of the assassination of President Lincoln;...
Jubal A. Early papers
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (8 items), primarily post-Civil War, of Confederate General Jubal A. Early. Included is a dispatch to Maj. Hawks dated January 8, 1864, in which Imboden informs him "I shall not move to the lower valley-there is nothing to be gained by it."
- Subject: Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baker, I. Norval (Isaac Norval), 1844-1924
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Botts, Lawson, 1825-1862
- 1 Boyd, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1842-1909
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Burdett, Elizabeth Ford (Lizzie)
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Craun, Samuel H., 1821-
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 2 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Ford, James W. A.
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Fulton Family
- 1 Fulton, Charles M.
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Garland, Samuel, 1830-1862
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harman, Michael G., 1822-1877
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Hawks, Wells J.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Holman, William H., 1841-
- 1 Hunter, David
- 1 Imboden, John D. (John Daniel), 1823-1895
- 1 Jackson, Henry R.
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 11 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 3 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Mahone, William
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Meyer, A.
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Norton, John T.
- 1 Oakes, Benjamin F.
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Pendleton, Alexander Swift, 1840-1864
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Slaughter, P. M.
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Trimble, Isaac Ridgeway, 1802-1888
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922
- 2 Williamson family
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less