Showing Collections: 41 - 50 of 59
Scope and Contents Commission document, dated May 9, 1861, appointing Samuel Garland, Jr. Colonel in the Virginia Volunteer Forces. Signed by Governor John Letcher. Endorsement on verso by Lewis B. Butler, Justice of the Peace for Prince William County, certifying that Garland took various prescribed oaths.
Scope and Contents Papers consist of 10 miscellaneous documents, 1862-1864, from Craun's military service. Included are receipts; orders regarding foraging and picking up prisoners; ordnance list for Co. H., 12th Virginia Cavalry. 1 receipt dated 1857.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of five letters, 1862-1864, to and from family members, largely concerned with personal family matters, but with some references to the war and civilian life in Fredericksburg and Richmond, Virginia. Other topics include the 47th Virginia Infantry Regiment, including comments about camp life. In addition to the correspondence, the papers contain commissions, orders, certificates, and miscellaneous official documents dating from Brooke's Civil War service and later...
Scope and Contents The collection contains three manuscript notebooks containing verse letters, poetry, notes, and a few newspaper clippings, bulk 1861-1865. One of the volumes is titled "Order Book, 9th Regiment Va. Volunteers, Craney Island"; on the endsheets of this book are glued original manuscript signatures of VMI faculty and others , apparently clipped from letters. The pages of this volume contain Sara's writings. A folder that contains Sara's writings on loose pages within the "Order Book" is also part...
Overview The Stonewall Jackson Papers consist primarily of Jackson's outgoing personal correspondence for the years 1844-1860. The collection also contains a relatively small number of Civil War era papers, as well as the papers of Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, his second wife, and papers of the Arnold family.
Scope and Contents One letter, dated September 12, 1861, from Confederate soldier Sutton I. Harris, of Shenandoah County, Virginia, to "my dearest Lizzie." The letter was written from camp at Duffield's Station, Jefferson County[West] Virginia and contains complaints about food and camp hardships; mentions being surrounded by federal troops; personal news; mentions Col. Turner Ashby. Harris was a Private serving with the 7th Virginia Cavalry Regiment.
Scope and Contents Thomas A. Stevenson papers, 5 items. Including three letters (1860 Nov. 20; 1861 Feb. 23 and April 19) from Cadet Stevenson (known as Andrew) to his sister Maria, in which he discusses the possibility of war, the celebration of Washington's birthday, and war preparation activities at VMI following the announcement of Virginia's secession. The papers also include one Confederate War Department visitor's pass (1861 Nov. 11) allowing Maria Stevenson to travel to Norfolk; and one letter (27 March...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of Thomas H. Williamson's Civil War memoirs, in which he discusses the events that took place during his temporary assignment to the command of Major General Thomas J. (Stonewall) beginning in April 1862; lecture notes (1850's) used in teaching his engineering and architecture courses at the Virginia Military Institute; 2 copies of the textbook written by Williamson for use at VMI, An Elementary Course of Architecture and Civil Engineering;...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers of Thomas T. Munford, including three personal letters from Munford: 1861 April 18 to Charles Ellis, discussing the outbreak of war; 1864 May 9 to George P. Tayloe, his father-in-law, discussing the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House; May 21 1865 to Sallie Munford, his niece, expressing sadness caused by the South's defeat. Other papers include a photostat of Munford's Special Orders No. 6 dated 1865 April 25; the architecture textbook used by Munford during his cadetship...
Scope and Contents Three volume Civil War era diary of Union soldier Uri (possibly Uriah) B. Scofield, who served with the 18th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The diary entries are not detailed, although some information about regimental activities is provided. Volume I (1864) includes the unit's march through the Shenandoah Valley and mentions the burning of the Virginia Military Institute in June 1864.
- Subject: Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baker, I. Norval (Isaac Norval), 1844-1924
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Botts, Lawson, 1825-1862
- 1 Boyd, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1842-1909
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Burdett, Elizabeth Ford (Lizzie)
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Craun, Samuel H., 1821-
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 2 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Ford, James W. A.
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Fulton Family
- 1 Fulton, Charles M.
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Garland, Samuel, 1830-1862
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harman, Michael G., 1822-1877
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Hawks, Wells J.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Holman, William H., 1841-
- 1 Hunter, David
- 1 Imboden, John D. (John Daniel), 1823-1895
- 1 Jackson, Henry R.
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 11 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 3 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Mahone, William
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Meyer, A.
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Norton, John T.
- 1 Oakes, Benjamin F.
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Pendleton, Alexander Swift, 1840-1864
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Slaughter, P. M.
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Trimble, Isaac Ridgeway, 1802-1888
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922
- 2 Williamson family
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less