Showing Collections: 51 - 59 of 59
Scope and Contents Civil War letter written by Union soldier W. W. Hawkins to his father. The letter is dated November 20, 1862 from "Camp at Fairmount, Near Fredericksburg, VA." The letter contains comments about military life (marching, lack of rations, talking with Confederate soldiers encamped across the river, cavalry foraging for food).
Scope and Contents Civil War letter, dated November 22, 1863, from Union soldier Walter Jordan to "Friend Croswell." Jordan was writing from "camp near Brandy Station." The letter contains mostly personal news and comments about his family; Jordan expresses frustration at indecision of officers and states that "I hope they will come at some plan so as to move on the enemy or else go into winter quarters and settle down untill spring."
Scope and Contents This detailed letter provides an eyewitness account of the last days of the Civil War in Richmond, Virginia, the capital of the Confederacy. Oscar Weisiger, a long-time city resident and businessman, describes the evacuation of the city, the extensive fires, the occupation of the city by federal troops and the troops' treatment of former slaves, the problems he faces in attempting to reestablish his mercantile business, and a discussion of his relationship with northern creditors. The letter is...
Scope and Contents Two versions of the Civil War memoirs of a Union soldier who served during the Shenandoah Valley Campaign, 1864. Unbound manuscript consists of 77 pages, probably written soon after the end of the war.This detailed account of his service includes information about the burning of the Virginia Military Institute by General David Hunter in June 1864; the advance on Lynchburg, Virginia; and his unit's retreat after the Battle of Lynchburg to Charleston and Parkersburg, West...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of an original manuscript Civil War notebook, including reports (September 1862-May 1863) submitted to the Chief Engineer's Office, Army of Northern Virginia, in which Williamson discusses destroying bridges at Harper's Ferry, and reconnaissance and mapping trips in the Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont; poetry, notes about architecture and engineering, and Williamson family genealogy. The papers also include miscellaneous correspondence and documents (1868-1898) and...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two documents from the Civil War career of Captain William H. Holman, of Holman's Company, Virginia Light Artillery, CSA (known as the Fluvanna Artillery, No.1). Included are a commission document (June 28, 1861), appointing him Captain in the 2nd Artillery Regiment and signed by Governor John Letcher; and a military order (September 15, 1861) requiring Holman to report to Brig. General Early.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the one volume diary of Confederate soldier William J. Black. The diary entries date from October 1864 - January 1865, written while Black was serving in Captain John J. Shoemaker's Company, Virginia Horse Artillery. Included are brief accounts of various skirmishes and the Battle of Cedar Creek; campsites and positions are recorded daily. Following the diary entries are copies of two of Shoemaker's reports detailing Battery activities, dated September 1, 1864...
Scope and Contents One letter from Lt. Col. Bentley to his mother, written while serving with the 24th Va. Infantry Regt., CSA. Dated June 13, 1862, from "camp near Richmond." Discusses his feelings about war; comfort given by his belief in God; life in camp.
Scope and Contents Early Civil War letter written by Confederate soldier [I.?] D. Williamson of Rockingham County, Virginia, to his wife. The letter is dated July 20, 1861 and was written from "Fair grounds, Winchester, VA." Williamson mentions the ongoing battle at Manassas and reports that "we are victorious so far." he discusses the importance of the battle ("It is the pivot on which our struggle is to turn"); he expresses concern that McClellan's troops may enter Rockingham County and instructs her "it...
- Subject: Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baker, I. Norval (Isaac Norval), 1844-1924
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Botts, Lawson, 1825-1862
- 1 Boyd, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1842-1909
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Burdett, Elizabeth Ford (Lizzie)
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Craun, Samuel H., 1821-
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 2 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Ford, James W. A.
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Fulton Family
- 1 Fulton, Charles M.
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Garland, Samuel, 1830-1862
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harman, Michael G., 1822-1877
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Hawks, Wells J.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Holman, William H., 1841-
- 1 Hunter, David
- 1 Imboden, John D. (John Daniel), 1823-1895
- 1 Jackson, Henry R.
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 11 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Jordan, Walter
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 3 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Mahone, William
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Meyer, A.
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Norton, John T.
- 1 Oakes, Benjamin F.
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Pendleton, Alexander Swift, 1840-1864
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Slaughter, P. M.
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Trimble, Isaac Ridgeway, 1802-1888
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922
- 2 Williamson family
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less