Showing Collections: 11 - 14 of 14
Scope and Contents The papers consist of Thomas H. Williamson's Civil War memoirs, in which he discusses the events that took place during his temporary assignment to the command of Major General Thomas J. (Stonewall) beginning in April 1862; lecture notes (1850's) used in teaching his engineering and architecture courses at the Virginia Military Institute; 2 copies of the textbook written by Williamson for use at VMI, An Elementary Course of Architecture and Civil Engineering;...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the one volume diary of Confederate soldier William J. Black. The diary entries date from October 1864 - January 1865, written while Black was serving in Captain John J. Shoemaker's Company, Virginia Horse Artillery. Included are brief accounts of various skirmishes and the Battle of Cedar Creek; campsites and positions are recorded daily. Following the diary entries are copies of two of Shoemaker's reports detailing Battery activities, dated September 1, 1864...
Scope and Contents One letter from Lt. Col. Bentley to his mother, written while serving with the 24th Va. Infantry Regt., CSA. Dated June 13, 1862, from "camp near Richmond." Discusses his feelings about war; comfort given by his belief in God; life in camp.
Scope and Contents Early Civil War letter written by Confederate soldier [I.?] D. Williamson of Rockingham County, Virginia, to his wife. The letter is dated July 20, 1861 and was written from "Fair grounds, Winchester, VA." Williamson mentions the ongoing battle at Manassas and reports that "we are victorious so far." he discusses the importance of the battle ("It is the pivot on which our struggle is to turn"); he expresses concern that McClellan's troops may enter Rockingham County and instructs her "it...
- Subject: Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baker, I. Norval (Isaac Norval), 1844-1924
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Boyd, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1842-1909
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Welsh, John P., ?-1861
- 1 Williamson family
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Williamson, [I]. D. ∧ less