Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 24
Scope and Contents Student notebook owned by VMI Cadet John T. B. Cocke, Virginia Military Institute Class of 1890. The volume contains copied poetry, civil engineering class notes, and list of roommate in Room 18 of Barracks, 1889-1890.
Scope and Contents The John L. Cochran Papers consist of a report card (1879) from the secondary school Cochran attended before entering the Virginia Military Institute; one letter (September 4, 1880) from VMI Cadet Cochran to his mother; a diary, with sketches (1881), containing short and sporadic entries made while he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute and concerning various aspects of cadet life; and four volumes of class notes (1882-1885) taken while Cochran was a student at Swarthmore College...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, 7 items, of John S. Bagnall, who fought at the Battle of New Market. Included are two letters (1921) from Eliza Clinedinst Crim, the New Market resident who came to the assistance of wounded cadets after the Battle of New Market; the letter of April 20 mentions Cadet Moses Ezekiel caring for the mortally wounded Cadet Thomas Jefferson. Also includes a VMI grade report (1862); two receipts for payment of tuition and diploma; and an envelope containing 2 of Bagnall's...
Scope and Contents Manuscript containing professional notes relating to Civil Engineering.
Scope and Contents A collection of grade report documents issued to parents of VMI cadets. The reports include class standing, treasurer's account information, comments by the Superintendent regarding academics and conduct.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a 3 volume diary dating from the VMI cadetship of Richard K. Boney, Class of 1878. Daily brief entries, 1874-1878, note weather and significant events. The collection also contains a poetry notebook, 1874-1878, including standard VMI poetry and copied quotations; and one scrapbook fragment, 1874-1878, with clippings about VMI events such as commencement, and miscellaneous programs and invitations.
Overview The Stonewall Jackson Papers consist primarily of Jackson's outgoing personal correspondence for the years 1844-1860. The collection also contains a relatively small number of Civil War era papers, as well as the papers of Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, his second wife, and papers of the Arnold family.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two items. 1. Letter dated January 25, 1855 from a Prussian official, denying Barksdale and his roommates permission to enter the Prussian Army. 2. Notebook contains class notes, including notes taken in Stonewall Jackson's class section in Natural Philsophy (a course that would today be most similar to Physics) and notes taken in Analytical Geometry class taught by Francis H. Smith; resolution issued by cadets following murder of Cadet Thomas Blackburn, Class of...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of Thomas H. Williamson's Civil War memoirs, in which he discusses the events that took place during his temporary assignment to the command of Major General Thomas J. (Stonewall) beginning in April 1862; lecture notes (1850's) used in teaching his engineering and architecture courses at the Virginia Military Institute; 2 copies of the textbook written by Williamson for use at VMI, An Elementary Course of Architecture and Civil Engineering;...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Academics -- History -- 19th century X
- 1 Allen, Robert C. (Robert Clotworthy), 1834-1863
- 1 Bagnall, John S. (John Seldon), 1844-1922
- 1 Bargamin, Eugene V. (Eugene Victor), 1835-1860
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 3 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Blair, Henry W. (Henry Wayne), 1851-1884
- 1 Blair, Robert S., 1835-1902
- 1 Boney, Richard K. (Richard Kinsey), 1858-1937
- 1 Boyd, Thomas M. (Thomas Massie), 1838-1894
- 1 Briggs, A. Sidney, 1902-1988
- 1 Brockenbrough, William A. (William Austin), 1836-1896
- 1 Carson, Robert P. (Robert Preston), 1832-1924
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 2 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cocke, John T. B., 1870-1951
- 1 Cooke, Giles B. (Giles Buckner), 1838-1937
- 1 Crim, Eliza Clinedinst, 1838-1931
- 1 Dodson, John E. (John Edward), 1845-1863
- 1 Dudley, William H. (William Henry), 1856-1886
- 1 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Ficklin, William J.
- 2 Fife, William E. (William Estill), 1834-1891
- 1 Flint, Oswald S.
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Galloway, Thomas S. (Thomas Spraggin), 1840-1903
- 1 Hardy, Charles W. (Charles Wesley), 1836-1871
- 1 Hardy, Edward M. (Edward Mohun), 1840-1882
- 1 Harris, Nicholas C. (Nicholas Cobbs), 1837-1898
- 1 Hawkins, Norment D. (Norment Doniphan), 1849-1931
- 1 Heflin, S. Murray (Sterling Murray)
- 1 Henry, William B. (William Byrd), 1875-1916
- 1 High, Francis W.
- 1 Hill, A. Govan (Archibald Govan), 1839-1914
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Holt, Charles A. (Charles Asbury), 1836-1908
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 5 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jefferson, Thomas G. (Thomas Garland)
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Kemble, William E. (William Elkanah), 1831-1896
- 1 Ker, Severn P.
- 1 Letcher, Samuel H. (Samuel Houston), 1848-1914
- 1 Lovell, William, 1834-1892
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marr, Robert A.
- 1 Marshall, Richard C., Jr.
- 1 McCausland, John, 1836-1927
- 1 Mears, Levin W., 1838-1862
- 1 Miller, Julius G. (Julius Gordon), 1839-1908
- 1 Morton, Osmond S. (Osmond Summers), 1845-1920
- 1 Park, William K., 1840-1865
- 1 Patton, Waller T. (Waller Tazewell), 1835-1863
- 1 Pegram, John C. (John Cargill), 1838-1864
- 2 Pollard, Richard, 1829-1908
- 1 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Ross, George, 1838-1926
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Smith & Fuller
- 1 Smith, Edward L. (Edward Livingston), 1835-1859
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Tams, William P. (William Purviance), 1852-1920
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Varner, Wallace C.
- 2 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Physics and Astronomy
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Library
- 1 Waring, John L. (John Lancaster), 1848-1942
- 1 Warren, James A. (James Albert), 1856-1879
- 1 Watson, Edward Minor, 1851-1887
- 1 Watson, William G., Jr.
- 1 Williams, Lewis B. (Lewis Burwell), 1833-1863
- 3 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less