Showing Collections: 31 - 40 of 84
Scope and Contents The collection consists of J. Russell Major's World War II papers, primarily letters written to his parents during the period 1942-1945. The early letters covers his training as a Field Artillery officer at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma (1942-1944) and other U. S. bases, including Laurinburg-Maxton Army Air Base (Glider School) and Ft. Bragg, North Carolina. Letters from July 1944-May 1945 date from his service as a forward artillery observer in France and Germany. Other items in the collection include...
Scope and Contents The papers (approximately 6 linear feet) document the career of sportsman and businessman J. Smith Ferebee, VMI CLass of 1927. Included are clippings, photographs, printed materials, and correspondence, 1923-1990, that document Ferebee's widely publicized golf marathon (1938) and other sports interests, and his career with the Equitable insurance company. The collection also includes one photograph album dating from Ferefee's VMI cadetship and miscellaneous personal correspondence.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of letters written by James Harden to his sister, covering wartime events experienced by his unit as well as his time at Ft. Delaware. Also included is one letter written from VMI in June 1861 and miscellaneous items.
Scope and Contents Moss's first diary entry begins on page 13 and is dated September 13, 1943 --- the day his unit departed for overseas duty --- and the last is D-Day, June 6, 1944. During the bulk of this period his unit was in Italy at Anzio Beachhead and vicinity. Moss describes action at Anzio, German air attacks, unit casualities, and other events relating to the military campaign.This book "My Life in the Service" was issued to members of the armed forces.It contains space to enter important...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter from New Market Cadet James E. Witt (Class of 1867), written from VMI HQ at the Alms House in Richmond, VA, dated 1865 February 8. Witt had just resigned his cadetship in order to join the Confederate Army during what turned out to be the last weeks of the war. The letter, addressed to "Dear Miss" [Fannie, last name unknown] is largely personal in nature, involving his relationship with the young woman. However, he does mention the resignation of large...
Scope and Contents Documents. VMI Diploma (1853); VMI Society of Cadets Certificate (1853); drawing of VMI Barracks (circa 1852-1853); Confederate Army Commission (1863); Certificate, Pickett Buchanan Camp, Confederate Veterans (1890)
Scope and Contents The collection ) consists primarily of certificates, honorary degrees, and miscellaneous awards given to Mr. deButts during his business career, most dating date from the 1960's-1985. The collection also includes 19 volumes of deButts' speeches, 1972-1978. Medals, plaques& other related to these papers are located in the VMI Museum.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of photograph albums, diplomas, and miscellaneous papers documenting the life of John Edward Townes. The photos depict both his VMI cadetship and his subsequent career in the U. S. Army Coast Artillery Corps (1908-1920) and at VMI as a faculty member (1921-1956). During World War I he served in France with the American Expeditionary Force (AEF).
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 16 letters and one postcard written by John G. James to his friend Samuel Y. Ferguson of Witchita Falls, Texas. Of special interest is the letter of April 17, 1927, in which James describes his memories of witnessing the VMI Corps of Cadets arrival in Richmond, April 1861, under the command of Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson. This same letter contains a brief recollection of James' participation in Jackson's funeral. Other letters contain James family information, political...
Scope and Contents The collection includes military orders, misc. documents relating to bombing missions, misc. other military records, and five photographs. The collection also contains information dating from Randolph's VMI Cadetship, including material relating to his involvement in the production of the "Second Class Show"; and a notebook containing engineering class notes.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Biography X
- 1 Addison, William M. (William Marlborough), 1898-1986
- 1 Almond, Edward M. (Edward Mallory), 1892-1979
- 1 Anderson, Marvin J. (Marvin Judson), 1921-1943
- 1 Anjier, Louis J.
- 1 Arnold, Thomas St. John
- 1 Bachtell, Linford B. (Linford Boone), 1921-1982
- 1 Barksdale, Alfred D. (Alfred Dickinson), 1892-1972
- 1 Berry, M. Keith (Marshall Keith), 1899-1985
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Boykin, Maury W. (Maury Wood), 1893-1984
- 1 Brand, E. Cabell
- 1 Britt, Albert S.
- 1 Burger, Ammen L., 1917-1994
- 2 Burress, Withers A. (Withers Alexander), 1894-1977
- 1 Chase, Gilbert P. (Gilbert Paul), 1873-1952
- 1 Clark, Harold P. (Harold Page), 1921-
- 1 Clinedinst, B. West (Benjamin West), 1860-1931
- 1 Conner, Albert Z., 1943-
- 1 Couper, John L. (John Lee), 1916-2000
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Daniels, Jonathan Myrick, 1939-1965
- 1 Douglas, Wallace S., 1901-1982
- 1 Dunbar, William B., 1907-1968
- 1 Earle, Robert A. (Robert August), 1906-1991
- 2 Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 1 Ferebee, J. Smith (James Smith), 1906-1988
- 1 Finklehoffe, Fred Franklin
- 1 Foresman family
- 1 Foresman, Henry J., 1919-2000
- 1 Foster, Charles E., 1903-1938
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Gatling, Norborne P., Jr.
- 1 Gerow, Lee S. (Lee Saunders), 1891-1982
- 1 Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972
- 1 Gibson, Mennis L. (Mennis Lawson), 1899-1973
- 1 Goodwyn Family
- 1 Goodwyn, McGavock R., 1841-1875
- 1 Goodwyn, Philo H., 1805?-1860
- 1 Gray, Elmon T.
- 1 Greene, Frederick Stuart, 1870-1939
- 1 Gwathmey, Allan T. (Allan Talbott), 1903-1963
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hardin Family
- 1 Hardin, Mark B. (Mark Bernard), 1838-1916
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 James, John G. (John Garland), 1844-1930
- 1 James, Rorer A. (Rorer Anderson), 1859-1921
- 1 Joyce family
- 1 Kibler, A. Franklin (Abram Franklin), 1891-1955
- 1 King, W. Marshall (William Marshall), 1901-1957
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Libby family
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Luke, John M. (John Marvin), 1880-1951
- 1 Major, J. Russell (James Russell), 1921-
- 1 Major, Julian Neville, 1887-1953
- 1 Marshall, Samuel W. (Samuel Wilson), 1905-1988
- 1 McClure, William G., Jr.
- 1 McCuaig, Duncan R., Dr.
- 1 Meyer, Alvin F., Jr., 1920-2006
- 1 Millner, Esther A., 1894-1979
- 1 Millner, Samuel M. (Samuel Morehead), 1891-1985
- 1 Moncure family
- 1 Moncure, Thomas J. (Thomas Jefferson), 1832-1912
- 1 Montague, Ludwell Lee, 1907-1972
- 1 Moss, James B., Jr., 1924-1998
- 1 Neikirk, Joseph D. (Joseph Dillard), 1911-1990
- 1 Oliver, Thomas T. (Thomas Tucker), 1941-1968
- 1 Perkinson, T. Randolph, Jr. (Thomas Randolph), 1895-1973
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Phillips, James J. (James Jasper), 1832-1908
- 1 Potts, Allen R.
- 1 Randolph, John H. Jr., 1921-
- 1 Richards, Gates T.
- 1 Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- 1 Ross, Erskine M. (Erskine Mayo), 1845-1928
- 1 Ruffner, David L. (David Lewis), 1896-1973
- 1 Sun, Li Jen, ?-1990
- 1 Talbott, Samuel G. (Samuel Greaner), 1877-1965
- 1 Tice, E. Jackson
- 1 Tidwell, William A.
- 1 Tompkins, George J., Jr.
- 1 Towne, Roger E. (Roger Earl), 1913-1983
- 1 Townes, John E., 1886-1970
- 1 Upshur, Alfred P. (Alfred Parker), 1885-1964
- 1 Upshur, William P. (William Peterkin), 1881-1943
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Adams Center for Military History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of History
- 1 Vivian, William R. (William Rhoads), 1911-2009
- 1 Waddill, Edmund C. (Edmund Clivious), 1883-1964
- 1 Westmoreland, William C. (William Childs), 1914-
- 1 Whittle, William M.
- 1 Wills, Waller G. (Waller Garland), 1898-1961
- 1 Wilson Family
- 1 Wilson, Nathaniel C., 1839-1863
- 1 Wise family
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1874-1968 ∧ less