Showing Collections: 41 - 50 of 84
Scope and Contents The papers consist of correspondence (to parents and other family) and two photograph albums documenting service during World War II; the bulk is dated 1942-1946. The letters cover a wide range of topics, including training in Great Britain, field hospital operations in Europe, and comments about daily aspects of war. The photographs document the unit's movements, staff, and activities in England, France and Belgium. In addition, the papers include a photograph album (1936-1937) dating from his...
Contents Note Miscellaneous papers, 1900-1928, of John M. Luke. The papers consist of 4 letters of recommendation from VMI Faculty members; 1 letter from VMI Superintendent William H. Cocke to Luke; commissioning certificate (oath of office), Oct. 1918; and one VMI dance card.
Scope and Contents Papers, 1904-1912, of Julian Neville Major, VMI Class of 1907. The collection consists primarily of family correspondence, including letters written by Major to his family while he served as Professor of Mathematics and Engineering at St. John's University, a Protestant college in Shanghai, China; letters received from his mother during his VMI cadetship and years in China; correspondence from the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society received prior to his departure for China; miscellaneous...
Scope and Contents Documents from the military career of General Lee S. Gerow. The papers includes diplomas, citations, certificates of promotion, photographs, autobiography (14 pp. typescript, 1979), and miscellaneous correspondence.
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents The collection consists of documents and photographs (ca. 120 items) from the military career of U.S. Army General Leonard Townsend Gerow (b. 1888 d.1972). It includes correspondence with General Dwight D. Eisenhower,autobiographical material, speeches (1945-1948), and photographs. Material complementary to this collection is located in his student/alumni file, also located in the VMI Archives.
Contents Note Miscellaneous World War II items (1940-1945) from the estate of General Li Jen Sun, VMI Class of 1927. 9 photographs (black and white matte) showing Gen Sun with various allied commanders, including Douglas MacArthur, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and George S. Patton; 3 color photographs of Sun's medals; 1 book owned by Sun "The Chinese Army in India-Burma Campaign."Addition, 2016. Presentation book, "Pictorial Biography of Ever Victorious General of...
Scope and Contents The papers consists primarily of items dating from the U. S. Air Force career of LTC Bachtell. Included are flight records, log books, and miscellaneous certificates and military orders. Bachtell served as a pilot with the Military Air Transport and during the Vietnam War he piloted supplies to South Vietnam from Taiwan. The papers also include a small collection of snapshots & negatives dating from Bachtell's VMI cadetship.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (16 items) of Louis J. Anjier, Jr., a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute. Class of 1961. The bulk consists of certificates and citations from his United States Army career.
Scope and Contents The collection consists primarily of transcriptions of Montague's outgoing correspondence, 1924-1956, which were compiled and edited by two of his daughters. The Letters are arranged chronologically and the editors have included explanatory notes, photographs, and other relevant supplementary material. The bulk of the letters date from his student years at VMI, and they provide a detailed view of cadet life during the 1920s. Also included are letters dating from his years in graduate schook,...
Scope and Contents The collection consists primarily of Berry's incoming and outgoing correspondence, the bulk of which dates from the period of his cadetship, 1917-1921. Included are letters to and from his parents, which include many reference to VMI activities, circa 1920. A related collection is the M. Keith Berry Photograph Collection, a part of the VMI Archives photograph holdings.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Biography X
- 1 Addison, William M. (William Marlborough), 1898-1986
- 1 Almond, Edward M. (Edward Mallory), 1892-1979
- 1 Anderson, Marvin J. (Marvin Judson), 1921-1943
- 1 Anjier, Louis J.
- 1 Arnold, Thomas St. John
- 1 Bachtell, Linford B. (Linford Boone), 1921-1982
- 1 Barksdale, Alfred D. (Alfred Dickinson), 1892-1972
- 1 Berry, M. Keith (Marshall Keith), 1899-1985
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Boykin, Maury W. (Maury Wood), 1893-1984
- 1 Brand, E. Cabell
- 1 Britt, Albert S.
- 1 Burger, Ammen L., 1917-1994
- 2 Burress, Withers A. (Withers Alexander), 1894-1977
- 1 Chase, Gilbert P. (Gilbert Paul), 1873-1952
- 1 Clark, Harold P. (Harold Page), 1921-
- 1 Clinedinst, B. West (Benjamin West), 1860-1931
- 1 Conner, Albert Z., 1943-
- 1 Couper, John L. (John Lee), 1916-2000
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Daniels, Jonathan Myrick, 1939-1965
- 1 Douglas, Wallace S., 1901-1982
- 1 Dunbar, William B., 1907-1968
- 1 Earle, Robert A. (Robert August), 1906-1991
- 2 Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 1 Ferebee, J. Smith (James Smith), 1906-1988
- 1 Finklehoffe, Fred Franklin
- 1 Foresman family
- 1 Foresman, Henry J., 1919-2000
- 1 Foster, Charles E., 1903-1938
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Gatling, Norborne P., Jr.
- 1 Gerow, Lee S. (Lee Saunders), 1891-1982
- 1 Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972
- 1 Gibson, Mennis L. (Mennis Lawson), 1899-1973
- 1 Goodwyn Family
- 1 Goodwyn, McGavock R., 1841-1875
- 1 Goodwyn, Philo H., 1805?-1860
- 1 Gray, Elmon T.
- 1 Greene, Frederick Stuart, 1870-1939
- 1 Gwathmey, Allan T. (Allan Talbott), 1903-1963
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hardin Family
- 1 Hardin, Mark B. (Mark Bernard), 1838-1916
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 James, John G. (John Garland), 1844-1930
- 1 James, Rorer A. (Rorer Anderson), 1859-1921
- 1 Joyce family
- 1 Kibler, A. Franklin (Abram Franklin), 1891-1955
- 1 King, W. Marshall (William Marshall), 1901-1957
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Libby family
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Luke, John M. (John Marvin), 1880-1951
- 1 Major, J. Russell (James Russell), 1921-
- 1 Major, Julian Neville, 1887-1953
- 1 Marshall, Samuel W. (Samuel Wilson), 1905-1988
- 1 McClure, William G., Jr.
- 1 McCuaig, Duncan R., Dr.
- 1 Meyer, Alvin F., Jr., 1920-2006
- 1 Millner, Esther A., 1894-1979
- 1 Millner, Samuel M. (Samuel Morehead), 1891-1985
- 1 Moncure family
- 1 Moncure, Thomas J. (Thomas Jefferson), 1832-1912
- 1 Montague, Ludwell Lee, 1907-1972
- 1 Moss, James B., Jr., 1924-1998
- 1 Neikirk, Joseph D. (Joseph Dillard), 1911-1990
- 1 Oliver, Thomas T. (Thomas Tucker), 1941-1968
- 1 Perkinson, T. Randolph, Jr. (Thomas Randolph), 1895-1973
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Phillips, James J. (James Jasper), 1832-1908
- 1 Potts, Allen R.
- 1 Randolph, John H. Jr., 1921-
- 1 Richards, Gates T.
- 1 Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- 1 Ross, Erskine M. (Erskine Mayo), 1845-1928
- 1 Ruffner, David L. (David Lewis), 1896-1973
- 1 Sun, Li Jen, ?-1990
- 1 Talbott, Samuel G. (Samuel Greaner), 1877-1965
- 1 Tice, E. Jackson
- 1 Tidwell, William A.
- 1 Tompkins, George J., Jr.
- 1 Towne, Roger E. (Roger Earl), 1913-1983
- 1 Townes, John E., 1886-1970
- 1 Upshur, Alfred P. (Alfred Parker), 1885-1964
- 1 Upshur, William P. (William Peterkin), 1881-1943
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Adams Center for Military History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of History
- 1 Vivian, William R. (William Rhoads), 1911-2009
- 1 Waddill, Edmund C. (Edmund Clivious), 1883-1964
- 1 Westmoreland, William C. (William Childs), 1914-
- 1 Whittle, William M.
- 1 Wills, Waller G. (Waller Garland), 1898-1961
- 1 Wilson Family
- 1 Wilson, Nathaniel C., 1839-1863
- 1 Wise family
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1874-1968 ∧ less