Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 51
Scope and Contents Scrapbook compiled by Cadet Gordon Hammond, VMI Class of 1919, covering the academic year 1915-1916. Included are snapshots, dance programs, clippings, and other VMI memorabilia. Topics of the photographs include his classmates and friends, cadet life, athletics, and VMI buildings.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, 1929-1935, of VMI alumnus Henry M. Stewart, Jr., Class of 1935. The collection includes memorabilia from Stewart's high school years at the Staunton Military Academy and his cadetship at VMI. The VMI material includes a scrapbook, dance and athletic programs, drawings, photographs, information about the Class of 1935 ring design, and other mementos of Stewart's cadetship.
Scope and Contents VMI scrapbook compiled by Cadet Hugh B. Rice. Contains photographs (including ROTC cavalry unit), programs, playbills, and other VMI memorabilia.
Scope and Contents Materials documenting the history of major (football, basketball) and other sports. Includes historical athletic Association minutes; printed material such as programs and media guides; emphemera; research material on athletic history used by Thomas W. Davis for his book; and other material documenting the history of intercollegiate athletics at VMI.
Scope and Contents VMI scrapbook compiled by Cadet J. Frank East, documenting his cadetship (1920-1924). Includes photographs of buildings, people, and the ROTC Cavalry unit, dance programs, sports souvenirs, other memorabilia.
Scope and Contents Six letters, 1920-1921, written by Cadet James D. Hankins to his cousin Florence. He describes many features of cadet life during the early 1920's, including a New Year's Eve celebration, a feud between the first and third classes, throwing "bombs" in Barracks courtyard, final exams, and a ghost haunting barracks.
Scope and Contents VMI scrapbook, covering the 1928-1929 school year, compiled by Cadet James B. Guthrie of Birmingham, Alabama. He was a member of the Class of 1932 and attended for one year. The scrapbook Includes photographs of cadet life and buildings; clippings and other memorabilia. A few items date from Guthrie's attendance at the Gulf Coast Military Academy prior to his enrollment at VMI. Guthrie (b. 1907 d. 1984) spent 32 years in the U. S. Army.
Scope and Contents Virginia Military Institute (VMI) scrapbook, 1922-1926, compiled by Cadet James N. Bell, Class of 1926. Includes photographs of cadet life, classmates, buildings; newspaper clippings (documenting athletic and other events) and memorabilia such as dance programs.
Scope and Contents Virginia Military Institute (VMI) scrapbook, 1917-1921, compiled by Cadet John B. Payne, Class of 1921. Includes photographs of cadet life, athletics, classmates, buildings; newspaper clippings, and memorabilia.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of photograph albums, diplomas, and miscellaneous papers documenting the life of John Edward Townes. The photos depict both his VMI cadetship and his subsequent career in the U. S. Army Coast Artillery Corps (1908-1920) and at VMI as a faculty member (1921-1956). During World War I he served in France with the American Expeditionary Force (AEF).
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Athletics X
- 1 Austin, Samuel L. (Samuel Lord), 1898-1987
- 1 Bagby, Pleasant H. (Pleasant Harwood), 1910-
- 1 Bell, James N. (James Nichol), 1904-1977
- 1 Bolling, Robert W. (Robert William), 1899-1969
- 1 Bond, Robert N., 1899-1924
- 1 Bundy, Richard J., 1899-1958
- 1 Carter, Spencer L. (Spencer Leslie), 1873-1950
- 1 Cooper, George L. H. (George Lawrence Hawkins), 1911-1984
- 1 Coxe, Simeon O., 1910-1999
- 1 Davis, Albert D. (Albert Daniel), 1913-1992
- 1 Davis, Thomas W.
- 1 Dewey, Franklin H. (Franklin Haylander), 1908-1986
- 1 Doty, Mark H. (Mark Hanahan), 1902-1968
- 1 East, J. Frank (John Franklin), 1901-1979
- 1 Garbutt, William A., 1909-1998
- 2 Gibbs, Nellie Tracy, 1868-1948
- 1 Gulf Coast Military Academy
- 1 Guthrie, James B., 1907-1984
- 1 Hammond, Gordon, 1897-1953
- 1 Hankins, James D. (James DeWitt), 1902-1978
- 1 Hopkins, William A. (William Addison), 1903-1971
- 1 Howard, Conway R. (Conway Robinson), 1881-1936
- 1 Jackson, Montgomery C. (Montgomery Chamberlayne), 1900-1972
- 1 Jarvis, Jesse P. (Jesse Pitts), 1887-1942
- 1 Jones, Reverdy H., 1913-1980
- 1 Meriwether, Willis J.
- 1 Milton, William H. (William Hammond), 1900-1984
- 1 Morton, Theodore F. (Theodore Feild), 1899-1978
- 1 Moss, Clement M. (Clement Murphy), 1902-1970
- 1 Moyer, Frederick M. (Frederick Madison), 1923-1974
- 1 Munce, Marshall G. (Marshall Gilliam), 1896-1977
- 1 Nelson, Nathan H. (Nathan Henry), 1902-1972
- 1 Nixon, Thomas S. (Thomas Scott), 1901-1980
- 1 Nottingham, Thomas J. (Thomas Jacob), 1864-1953
- 1 Pates, Bruce A., III
- 1 Payne, John B., 1899-1986
- 1 Plants, George S. (George Sands), 1885-1971
- 1 Purdie, Kenneth S. (Kenneth Sinclair), 1892-1983
- 1 Rice, Hugh B. (Hugh Banker), 1900-1977
- 1 Richards, Walter L. (Walter Leland), 1919-
- 1 Smith, Philip, 1893-1948
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Springs, Eli B. (Eli Baxter), 1894-1977
- 1 Stewart, Henry M. (Henry Montgomery), 1911-1988
- 1 Townes, John E., 1886-1970
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
- 2 Virginia Military Institute. Office of Communications and Marketing
- 1 Wallace, Robert L. (Robert Lucius), 1902-1988
- 1 Watson, William H. (William Henry), 1907-1974
- 1 Williamson, Henry Watson, 1823-1884
- 1 Woodward, Richard R. (Richard Rawles), 1905-1982
- 1 von Schilling, Leopold M. (Leopold Marshall), 1905-1981 ∧ less