Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Scope and Contents This file includes the following documents: Manuscript, appointment of the first VMI Board, 1839; James McDowell appointment, 1839; Alfred Leyburn, 1843; William B. Taliaferro, 1852; Arthur C. Cummings, 1866; Martin B. Wood, 1882; Alexander F. (Alex) Ryland
Scope and Contents Records of standing and ad hoc committees of the VMI Board of Visitors. Historical documents include misc. 19th century records, including ledger concerning bonds, correspondence, reports, members' travel expenses, and receipts for meeting expenses (food, sundries). Modern committee names include: Academic Affairs Committee; Audit Planning & Finance Committee (APF); External Relations ( Public Relations, Public Affairs ); Governmental Relations; Cadet and Military Affairs;...
Scope and Contents Papers (approximately 60 items) consist of letters to Dorman in capacity as attorney; documents regarding the settlement of his estate by executor William C. Lewis; contemporary copy of the legislative bill establishing the Virginia Military Institute.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous incoming and outgoing correspondence of the VMI Board of Visitors or related to BOV business. Includes correspondence files for some historical individual members of the Board
Scope and Contents The papers consist of correspondence and other material relating to three members of the Fulkerson family: Samuel Vance Fulkerson (1822-1862); his brother, Abram Fulkerson, Jr. (1834-1902); and Abram"s son, Samuel Vance Fulkerson (1863-1926). Significant items are Civil War letters (March-May 1862) written by Samuel V. Fulkerson; Samuel's reports of the Battle of McDowell and the Battle of Winchester, May and June 1862; 3 ...
Identifier: RG-01-Correspondence-Preston - Smith
Scope and Contents Correspondence between Francis H. Smith, who became VMI's first Superintendent, and John T. L. Preston relating to the organization and opening of VMI. Includes four letters from Preston to Smith; and one letter from Smith to Preston, in which he accepts the job offered by the Board of Visitors to serve as Superintendent (originally called Principal Professor). One related letter is from Francis H. Smith to William Atkinson or Atkison, in which Smith asks for advice about VMI's job...
Scope and Contents This collection comprises the official public minutes of the VMI Board of Visitors. The first meeting of the Board was held in May 1839. A significant portion of historical minutes have been digitized and are available online, including those for the Civil War era. Modern minutes (from 1982-forward) are also available online.
Identifier: RG-02-Subject Files-Board of Visitors
Scope and Contents These records consist of one chronological file, 1909-1953, primarily containing Superintendent's working reports and memoranda to the Board of Visitors; some annotations. In addition, there are Superintendent's copies of BOV meeting packets for Gen. Shell and Irby; some with annotations.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Board of Visitors X
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Cocke, William H. (William Horner), 1874-1938
- 1 Cummings, Arthur C.
- 1 Dorman, Charles P., 1794-1849
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Irby, Richard L., 1918-2002
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Kilbourne, Charles E. (Charles Evans), 1872-1963
- 1 Lejeune, John Archer, 1867-1942
- 1 Leyburn, Alfred, 1803-1878
- 1 Marshall, Richard J., 1895-1973
- 1 McDowell, James, 1795-1851
- 1 Milton, William H. (William Hammond), 1900-1984
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Shell, George R. E., 1908-1996
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Taliaferro, William B.
- 6 Virginia Military Institute. Board of Visitors
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Superintendent.
- 1 Wood, Martin B. ∧ less