Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 40
Scope and Contents The collection includes plans, photographs and descriptive text documenting selected Lexington and Rockbridge County (Virginia) buildings which were included in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS). The Survey was conducted under the auspices of the National Park Service and the original records are located in the Library of Congress. The collection includes the following: Plans (oversized of the Alexander-Withrow House, Reid-White House, Stono, Stono office, Winterview Farm Log Cabin....
Scope and Contents VMI scrapbook compiled by Cadet J. Frank East, documenting his cadetship (1920-1924). Includes photographs of buildings, people, and the ROTC Cavalry unit, dance programs, sports souvenirs, other memorabilia.
Scope and Contents VMI scrapbook, covering the 1928-1929 school year, compiled by Cadet James B. Guthrie of Birmingham, Alabama. He was a member of the Class of 1932 and attended for one year. The scrapbook Includes photographs of cadet life and buildings; clippings and other memorabilia. A few items date from Guthrie's attendance at the Gulf Coast Military Academy prior to his enrollment at VMI. Guthrie (b. 1907 d. 1984) spent 32 years in the U. S. Army.
Scope and Contents 4 items, including a letter (1855) from Cadet Waddell to his sister, that contains a detailed description and pencil drawing of his room (#14) in Barracks and of his roomates (Barksdale, Penn, Magruder, Shepherd, Wilson); a second drawing of a barracks room & roommates (similar to a sketch found in the Shepherd Collection, MS#0019); pencil map, 8 inches x 10 inches, labeled "Plan of Battle of Bethel Church, June 10, 1861." Letter of recommendation, 1879, written by VMI's Superintendent...
Scope and Contents Strange's letter to his sister Anne was written just a few months after the Institute's opening day, and is one of the oldest personal cadet letters still in existence. Strange mentions several aspects of cadet life that were common during the pre-Civil War era: Final examinations were given orally rather than as written tests, presided over by faculty and the VMI Board of Visitors and open to the public; summer furlough was not automatic, and many cadets stayed at the Institute throughout the...
Scope and Contents Scrapbook compiled by Cadet Leopold M. von Schilling, Virginia Military Institute, Class of 1926, covering the period 1922-1925. Included are snapshots, dance programs, clippings, drawings, and other VMI memorabilia. Topics of the photographs include his classmates and friends, cadet life, athletics, and VMI buildings.
Scope and Contents VMI scrapbook compiled by Cadet Doty. Contains photographs of cadet life, classmates, buildings, athletics. Memorabilia (programs, clippings) also included.
Scope and Contents Scrapbook compiled by VMI cadet Marshall G. Munce, during the period 1913-1917. Includes photographs and other mementos.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two sketchbooks (1897 & 1914) ca. 20 pages each, containing pencil drawings by Mary Wilson Irwin. No information about the artist is available. Subjects include the Virginia Military Institute; Washington and Lee University; Lexington, Virginia scenes; children. Some drawings bear inscription "MWI" and/or short description.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Buildings, structures, etc X
- 1 Austin, Samuel L. (Samuel Lord), 1898-1987
- 1 Bagby, Pleasant H. (Pleasant Harwood), 1910-
- 1 Barton, George L. (George Lloyd), 1891-1984
- 1 Beale, William S. (William Steenbergen)
- 1 Bolling, Robert W. (Robert William), 1899-1969
- 1 Bond, Robert N., 1899-1924
- 1 Bundy, Richard J., 1899-1958
- 1 Davis, Alexander Jackson, 1803-1892
- 1 Deyerle, Charles P. (Charles Peter), 1820-1853
- 1 Doty, Mark H. (Mark Hanahan), 1902-1968
- 1 East, J. Frank (John Franklin), 1901-1979
- 1 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Gulf Coast Military Academy
- 1 Guthrie, James B., 1907-1984
- 1 Hammond, Gordon, 1897-1953
- 1 Historic American Buildings Survey
- 1 Irwin, Mary Wilson
- 1 Jackson, Montgomery C. (Montgomery Chamberlayne), 1900-1972
- 1 John Milner Associates
- 1 Jordan, John, 1777-1854
- 1 Keitt, Thomas W. (Thomas Wadlington), 1859-1922
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lincoln, Percy M. (Percy Marsh), 1931-
- 1 Lowry, Day
- 1 Meriwether, Willis J.
- 1 Milton, William H. (William Hammond), 1900-1984
- 1 Morton, Theodore F. (Theodore Feild), 1899-1978
- 1 Moss, Clement M. (Clement Murphy), 1902-1970
- 1 Munce, Marshall G. (Marshall Gilliam), 1896-1977
- 1 Neill, William
- 1 Nelson, Nathan H. (Nathan Henry), 1902-1972
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Nixon, Thomas S. (Thomas Scott), 1901-1980
- 1 Nunnamaker, Harold, 1910-1976
- 4 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Philip, 1893-1948
- 1 Stewart, Henry M. (Henry Montgomery), 1911-1988
- 1 Strange family
- 1 Strange, John B. (John Bowie), 1823-1862
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Alumni Association
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Library
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Museum
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of Communications and Marketing
- 4 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Deputy Superintendent for Finance, Administration, and Support
- 1 Waddell, James H. (James Henry), 1833-1884
- 1 Watson, William H. (William Henry), 1907-1974
- 1 von Schilling, Leopold M. (Leopold Marshall), 1905-1981 ∧ less