Showing Collections: 11 - 17 of 17
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a 40 page diary kept by Virginia Militiary Institute Cadet Sidney Perry from 1888-1891; a Class of 1892 photograph album containing photos of classmates, faculty, and cadet life; and six individual images, primarily summer camp scenes, circa 1890. The diary includes details of daily cadet life and an account of the death of Cadet Warner T. Taliaferro died following a fight with a fellow cadet, Frank W. McConnico.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the diary (1883-1885) written by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Thomas J. Nottingham. It contains a consistent record of the daily cadet routine as it existed during the mid- 1880's and is an excellent source for information about student life during that era. Included are specific references to recitations, fights, dress parade, the Dialectic Society (a student debating society), YMCA, girls, baseball and football games with Washington College students ("minks"),...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a four page handwritten and illustrated VMI cadet "newspaper" called "The Sunday Pie" published on April 18, 1887 by the occupants of Barracks Room 32. Thornton Terry was one of the editors.
Scope and Contents One letter (1887 May 30) to Cadet Paul O. Vance from his father. The father is replying to a request for money.
Scope and Contents Notebook compiled by VMI Cadet William A. Irvine, 1888-1889. Contains poetry (copied and original), sketches, programs from the Lexington Minstrel Club and the VMI Minstrel Club.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers of William A. Moncure, including 8 drawings completed as class exercises while he was a VMI cadet; the bible presented to him upon his graduation from VMI by Superintendent Francis H. Smith; a map of Caroline Co., Virginia (oversized).
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet Life -- 1880-1889 X
- 1 Amiss, Frederick T., 1866-1942
- 1 Baker, Harry B. (Harry Burgwyn), 1869-1947
- 1 Balmer, Charles, 1865-1941
- 1 Best, Carl M. (Carl Mead), 1861-1922
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cocke, John T. B., 1870-1951
- 1 Lybrook, Philip H. (Philip Hardin), 1868-1901
- 1 Moncure, William A. (William Augustus), 1863-1947
- 1 Nottingham, Thomas J. (Thomas Jacob), 1864-1953
- 1 Perry, Sidney R. (Sidney Rawson), 1873-1929
- 1 Rutledge family
- 1 Rutledge, Oliver M. (Oliver Middleton), 1862-1928
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Stewart, Robert E. B. (Robert Edward Bruce), 1863-1901
- 1 Terry, Thornton, 1868-1894
- 1 Vance, Paul O. (Paul Otey), 1869-1913
- 1 Varner, Charles R. K., 1862-1915
- 1 Vest, William W. (William Waller), 1871-1918
- 1 Williamson, Henry Watson, 1823-1884 ∧ less