Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 26
Scope and Contents Papers consist of: Manuscript notebook compiled by Carpenter during his cadetship, 1852-1856, containing poetry, class notes, autographs of classmates, detailed account of Corps trip to Petersburg and Richmond, October 1855.Two letters written by Carpenter to his father in 1862, including letter of June 16, 1862 describing fighting near Port Republic, Virginia.Letter of recommendation written on Carpenter's behalf by Brigadier General John Echols, submitted to...
Scope and Contents Poetry notebook compiled by Cadet Julien A. Hall (Virginia Military Institute Class of 1879) in 1875-1876. Such notebooks were popular among cadets of the mid to late 19th century. They typically contain VMI-related poetry, often not written by the notebook's owner, as well as misc. other poetry and notes.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two items. One letter (September 2, 1865) from Hempstead to Major DeWitt C. Craun in which he defends the position taken by the South during the Civil War & his own service in the CSA. One manuscript poem"Ode to the 4th Classmen of 1861 who never heard Auld Lang Syne" (undated).
Scope and Contents Notebook (ca. 145 pages) reflecting cadet life 1848-1851. Includes accounts of Corps trips to Richmond, Petersburg, Norfolk and Rockbridge Alum Springs; cadet poetry and essays; poetry by Sara Henderson Smith; addresses delivered before the Cadet Dialectic Society (a literary and debating society); discussion of exams (1851) in English and Natural Philosophy; an account of "An Oyster Supper---A Frolic After Taps", and an account of "our last bible recitation" in which Gibbs describes the last...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a 3 volume diary dating from the VMI cadetship of Richard K. Boney, Class of 1878. Daily brief entries, 1874-1878, note weather and significant events. The collection also contains a poetry notebook, 1874-1878, including standard VMI poetry and copied quotations; and one scrapbook fragment, 1874-1878, with clippings about VMI events such as commencement, and miscellaneous programs and invitations.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two poetry notebooks compiled by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Robert Beverley during the period 1874-1875. The volumes contains original poetry composed by VMI cadets, as well as copied verses. Cadet authors include Smith Caruthers, Class of 1875; Samuel M. Cooper, Class of 1876; Selby Jones, Class of 1864; and Charles D. Walker, Class of 1869. The notebooks also contain poetry by faculty member Robert L. Madison. An index is located in front of volume one.
Scope and Contents Manuscript notebook-diary (1849-1853) of Robert Gatewood. Entries include original and copies poetry dating from his last year at VMI; essays; diary entries dating from period 1851-1853, written while Gatewood was teaching at the College of William and Mary. Diary entries and notes frequently have a religious theme.
Scope and Contents The Spencer L. Carter Collection contains two items dating from Carter's Virginia Military Institute cadetship. Included is a notebook (binding missing) compiled by Carter, concerning VMI football and baseball. It includes lists of teams, game scores, and plays. The collection also contains an annotated copy of "The VMI Scrapbook," a compilation of cadet poetry and prose published in 1891. Carter added notes concerning the VMI Class of 1893, cadet officers, and Kappa Alpha Fraternity members.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two items. 1. Letter dated January 25, 1855 from a Prussian official, denying Barksdale and his roommates permission to enter the Prussian Army. 2. Notebook contains class notes, including notes taken in Stonewall Jackson's class section in Natural Philsophy (a course that would today be most similar to Physics) and notes taken in Analytical Geometry class taught by Francis H. Smith; resolution issued by cadets following murder of Cadet Thomas Blackburn, Class of...
Scope and Contents Notebook compiled by VMI Cadet William A. Irvine, 1888-1889. Contains poetry (copied and original), sketches, programs from the Lexington Minstrel Club and the VMI Minstrel Club.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet compositions -- Poetry X
- 1 Arnold, William E. (William Elisha), 1830-1902
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Beverley, Robert, 1858-1928
- 2 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Boney, Richard K. (Richard Kinsey), 1858-1937
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Carter, Spencer L. (Spencer Leslie), 1873-1950
- 1 Caruthers, Smith
- 1 Clark, Francis B. (Francis Barnard), 1850-1896
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cocke, John T. B., 1870-1951
- 1 Cooper, Samuel M.
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Exall, Alexander D. (Alexander Duval), 1853-1928
- 1 Ficklin, Benjamin F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1827-1871
- 1 Forsythe, James A. (James Adger), 1853-1925
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Gordon, William M. (William Milburn), 1830-1907
- 1 Hall, Julien A.
- 1 Hempstead, Junius L. (Junius Lackland), 1842-1920
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jones, Selby
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Neill, William
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steenbergen, John W., 1831-1916
- 1 Thompson, John A. (John Addy), 1832-1867
- 1 Walker, Charles D.
- 2 Wiegand, William E. (William Edward), 1853-1928
- 1 Yager, William O. (William Overall), 1833-1904 ∧ less