Showing Collections: 21 - 26 of 26
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a poetry notebook compiled by William Elisha Arnold during the period 1849-1864; the bulk of the entries date from the years in which he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute, 1849-1853. Such notebooks were popular among VMI cadets of the mid-19th century and typically contain both original and copied verse. The Arnold notebook contains approximately 50 poems by Arnold, other cadets, various 19th century poets, and anonymous authors. Cadet poetry includes...
Scope and Contents Poetry notebook compiled by Cadet William E. Wiegand, containing original and copied poetry. This item is in very poor condition.
Scope and Contents From the 1850's through the end of the Civil War, many VMI cadets kept notebooks which they filled with poetry concerning cadet life, songs, recipes, personal notes, autographs of classmates, and other mementos. This notebook, bulk dating from ca. 1862-1863, was compiled by Cadet William "Willie" Galt, VMI Class of 1864. The manuscript reflects the concerns and interests of a wartime cadet and thus contains many verses and songs inspired by the ongoing conflict. A few of the entries toward the...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one volume notebook compiled in 1862 by Virginia Military Institute Cadet William James Hubard. The bulk of the volume contains poetry and mementos; there are also two diary entries. The poetry includes The Six Plebes and The Old Gray Coat by Sara Henderson Smith, and several poems attributed to Cadets Edward A. Rhodes, John F. Hanna, and Benjamin F. Bishop. Subjects of the verses are VMI life and regulations, including many references to faculty members (Francis H....
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the notebook (ca. 165 pages) of VMI Cadet William Neill, containing copied and possibly original poetry; and one watercolor sketch (10" x 7.5") of barracks room number 38, drawn by Neill and dated October 1877.
Scope and Contents Fragment, approximately 25 pages, of a journal kept by Cadet William O. Yager. The bulk concerns a dispute between his classmates John A. Thompson and William M. Gordon that led to a court of inquiry/court martial. The journal also contains lists of roommates and poetry.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet compositions -- Poetry X
- 1 Arnold, William E. (William Elisha), 1830-1902
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Beverley, Robert, 1858-1928
- 2 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Boney, Richard K. (Richard Kinsey), 1858-1937
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Carter, Spencer L. (Spencer Leslie), 1873-1950
- 1 Caruthers, Smith
- 1 Clark, Francis B. (Francis Barnard), 1850-1896
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cocke, John T. B., 1870-1951
- 1 Cooper, Samuel M.
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Exall, Alexander D. (Alexander Duval), 1853-1928
- 1 Ficklin, Benjamin F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1827-1871
- 1 Forsythe, James A. (James Adger), 1853-1925
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Gordon, William M. (William Milburn), 1830-1907
- 1 Hall, Julien A.
- 1 Hempstead, Junius L. (Junius Lackland), 1842-1920
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jones, Selby
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Neill, William
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steenbergen, John W., 1831-1916
- 1 Thompson, John A. (John Addy), 1832-1867
- 1 Walker, Charles D.
- 2 Wiegand, William E. (William Edward), 1853-1928
- 1 Yager, William O. (William Overall), 1833-1904 ∧ less