Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 22
Scope and Contents The collection consists of drawings by Cadet Albert Z. Conner, Virginia Military Institute Class of 1966, including 21 sketches of various VMI scenes and one sketchbook containing illustrations used in the 1966 publication "The VMI Coloring Book".
Scope and Contents One testimonial letter written by Superintendent Francis H. Smith on behalf of Fauntleroy, dated Sept. 2, 1857. One drawing by Cadet Fauntleroy, done as a class assignment at VMI.
Scope and Contents A collection of 19th century cadet drawings (approximately 200 items) completed primarily as assignments for Professor Thomas H. Williamson's architecture, engineering, and drawing courses at the Virginia Military Institute. A few of the drawings were completed for a geometry course and other mathematics courses, or were not class assignments.Some of the geometry drawings are signed by the supervising professors, including e.g. Superintendent Francis H. Smith, who also...
Scope and Contents A collection of miscellaneous documents from various eras in VMI's history, reflecting the humourous side of cadet life. Includes 3 small (3.5 x 5") watercolor sketches, depicting firecracker prank & results, ca. 1920; a list entitled "Graduated scale of beauty in Lexington" 1856; notice about the VPI football game posted on a barracks room, 1937.
Scope and Contents
The papers contain 12 items from the career of Charles P. Deyerle. Included are documents dating from his medical studies and his service in the United States Army. Also included are miscellaneous clippings.
Scope and Contents The collection contains three notebooks, two miscellaneous documents, and an annotated analytical geometry text that belonged to Virginia Military Institute Cadet Edward C. Shepherd during his years as a VMI student, 1851-1855. The first notebook contains approximately 50 pen and ink, hand-tinted drawings by Shepherd; these were completed as assignments for VMI courses and some bear the signature of Superintendent Francis H. Smith (" Examined correct, F.H. Smith"). This book also includes a...
Scope and Contents One original charcoal sketch (ca. 1908) by Frank A. Fickes, published in the 1911 VMI yearbook. The sketch features a skull, snakes, and ghost, symbols of "TKL" a cadet secret society.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, 1929-1935, of VMI alumnus Henry M. Stewart, Jr., Class of 1935. The collection includes memorabilia from Stewart's high school years at the Staunton Military Academy and his cadetship at VMI. The VMI material includes a scrapbook, dance and athletic programs, drawings, photographs, information about the Class of 1935 ring design, and other mementos of Stewart's cadetship.
Scope and Contents 4 items, including a letter (1855) from Cadet Waddell to his sister, that contains a detailed description and pencil drawing of his room (#14) in Barracks and of his roomates (Barksdale, Penn, Magruder, Shepherd, Wilson); a second drawing of a barracks room & roommates (similar to a sketch found in the Shepherd Collection, MS#0019); pencil map, 8 inches x 10 inches, labeled "Plan of Battle of Bethel Church, June 10, 1861." Letter of recommendation, 1879, written by VMI's Superintendent...
Scope and Contents Documents. VMI Diploma (1853); VMI Society of Cadets Certificate (1853); drawing of VMI Barracks (circa 1852-1853); Confederate Army Commission (1863); Certificate, Pickett Buchanan Camp, Confederate Veterans (1890)
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet drawings X
- 1 Allen, Robert C. (Robert Clotworthy), 1834-1863
- 1 Bargamin, Eugene V. (Eugene Victor), 1835-1860
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Blair, Henry W. (Henry Wayne), 1851-1884
- 1 Blair, Robert S., 1835-1902
- 1 Boyd, Thomas M. (Thomas Massie), 1838-1894
- 1 Briggs, A. Sidney, 1902-1988
- 1 Brockenbrough, William A. (William Austin), 1836-1896
- 1 Carson, Robert P. (Robert Preston), 1832-1924
- 2 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Conner, Albert Z., 1943-
- 1 Cooke, Giles B. (Giles Buckner), 1838-1937
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Deyerle, Charles P. (Charles Peter), 1820-1853
- 1 Dodson, John E. (John Edward), 1845-1863
- 1 Fauntleroy, A. M. (Archibald Magill), 1837-1886
- 1 Fickes, Frank A. (Frank Akin), 1888-1952
- 1 Galloway, Thomas S. (Thomas Spraggin), 1840-1903
- 1 Goodwyn, Richard T. (Richard Tuggle), 1866-1952
- 1 Hardy, Charles W. (Charles Wesley), 1836-1871
- 1 Hardy, Edward M. (Edward Mohun), 1840-1882
- 1 Hardy, William T. (William Thomas), 1834-1911
- 1 Harris, Nicholas C. (Nicholas Cobbs), 1837-1898
- 1 Hawkins, Norment D. (Norment Doniphan), 1849-1931
- 1 Henry, William B. (William Byrd), 1875-1916
- 1 Hill, A. Govan (Archibald Govan), 1839-1914
- 1 Holt, Charles A. (Charles Asbury), 1836-1908
- 1 Houston, Levin J. (Levin James), 1905-1990
- 1 Jerdone, William M. (William Macon), 1848-1900
- 1 Keitt, Thomas W. (Thomas Wadlington), 1859-1922
- 1 Kemble, William E. (William Elkanah), 1831-1896
- 1 Kyle, John H. (John Holmes), 1901-1984
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lovell, William, 1834-1892
- 1 McCarthy, Frank, 1912-1986
- 1 McCausland, John, 1836-1927
- 1 Mears, Levin W., 1838-1862
- 1 Miller, Julius G. (Julius Gordon), 1839-1908
- 1 Moncure, William A. (William Augustus), 1863-1947
- 1 Morton, Osmond S. (Osmond Summers), 1845-1920
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Neill, William
- 1 Park, William K., 1840-1865
- 1 Patton, Waller T. (Waller Tazewell), 1835-1863
- 1 Pegram, John C. (John Cargill), 1838-1864
- 1 Phillips, James J. (James Jasper), 1832-1908
- 1 Pollard, Richard, 1829-1908
- 1 Ross, George, 1838-1926
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 2 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Smith, Edward L. (Edward Livingston), 1835-1859
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Stewart, Henry M. (Henry Montgomery), 1911-1988
- 1 Stewart, Robert E. B. (Robert Edward Bruce), 1863-1901
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Waddell, James H. (James Henry), 1833-1884
- 1 Waring, John L. (John Lancaster), 1848-1942
- 1 Warren, James A. (James Albert), 1856-1879
- 1 Williams, Lewis B. (Lewis Burwell), 1833-1863
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less