Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 22
John H. Kyle collection
Scope and Contents The collection consists primarily of ca. 20 items from John H. Kyle's VMI cadetship (1919-1923), including a scrapbook, grade reports, sketchbook with pencil drawings of cadets and cartoons depicting VMI life, and photographs. Also miscellaneous documents from 1923-1937, including a letter from Frank McCarthy, Class of 1933.
John L. Cochran papers
Scope and Contents The John L. Cochran Papers consist of a report card (1879) from the secondary school Cochran attended before entering the Virginia Military Institute; one letter (September 4, 1880) from VMI Cadet Cochran to his mother; a diary, with sketches (1881), containing short and sporadic entries made while he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute and concerning various aspects of cadet life; and four volumes of class notes (1882-1885) taken while Cochran was a student at Swarthmore College...
Levin J. Houston drawings
Scope and Contents A collection of 17 watercolor and pen/ink drawings by Cadet Levin J. Houston. Several of the drawings were featured in the cadet magazine known as "The Sniper", published during the 1920's.
Richard T. Goodwyn collection
Scope and Contents The collection contains 18 pencil and ink drawings by VMI Cadet Richard T. Goodwyn; and one letter (1896 March 28) from VMI Superintendent Scott Shipp to Goodwyn.
Robert E. B. Stewart collection
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, approximately 30 items, of Robert E. B. Stewart. The collection includes a notebook containing orations delivered before VMI cadet debating societies; drawings completed as class assignments at VMI; and a few clippings concerning his life after he left the Institute.
Thomas T. Munford collection
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers of Thomas T. Munford, including three personal letters from Munford: 1861 April 18 to Charles Ellis, discussing the outbreak of war; 1864 May 9 to George P. Tayloe, his father-in-law, discussing the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House; May 21 1865 to Sallie Munford, his niece, expressing sadness caused by the South's defeat. Other papers include a photostat of Munford's Special Orders No. 6 dated 1865 April 25; the architecture textbook used by Munford during his cadetship...
Thomas W. Keitt drawing
Scope and Contents Watercolor drawing (12 x 16 in.) of Washington Arch facade of Barracks by Cadet Keitt, dated May 15, 1876. Details include clock; Virginia and U.S. flags flying from towers.
William A. Irvine notebook
Scope and Contents Notebook compiled by VMI Cadet William A. Irvine, 1888-1889. Contains poetry (copied and original), sketches, programs from the Lexington Minstrel Club and the VMI Minstrel Club.
William A. Moncure collection
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers of William A. Moncure, including 8 drawings completed as class exercises while he was a VMI cadet; the bible presented to him upon his graduation from VMI by Superintendent Francis H. Smith; a map of Caroline Co., Virginia (oversized).
William M. Jerdone papers
Scope and Contents Papers consist of Jerdone's handwritten mathematics examination essay (64 pages) submitted to Professor James W. Massie; the topic is "Analysis of Analytical Geometry", dated 1868 Dec. 28. Also 25 drawings completed as class assignments at VMI.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet drawings X
- 1 Allen, Robert C. (Robert Clotworthy), 1834-1863
- 1 Bargamin, Eugene V. (Eugene Victor), 1835-1860
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Blair, Henry W. (Henry Wayne), 1851-1884
- 1 Blair, Robert S., 1835-1902
- 1 Boyd, Thomas M. (Thomas Massie), 1838-1894
- 1 Briggs, A. Sidney, 1902-1988
- 1 Brockenbrough, William A. (William Austin), 1836-1896
- 1 Carson, Robert P. (Robert Preston), 1832-1924
- 2 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Conner, Albert Z., 1943-
- 1 Cooke, Giles B. (Giles Buckner), 1838-1937
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Deyerle, Charles P. (Charles Peter), 1820-1853
- 1 Dodson, John E. (John Edward), 1845-1863
- 1 Fauntleroy, A. M. (Archibald Magill), 1837-1886
- 1 Fickes, Frank A. (Frank Akin), 1888-1952
- 1 Galloway, Thomas S. (Thomas Spraggin), 1840-1903
- 1 Goodwyn, Richard T. (Richard Tuggle), 1866-1952
- 1 Hardy, Charles W. (Charles Wesley), 1836-1871
- 1 Hardy, Edward M. (Edward Mohun), 1840-1882
- 1 Hardy, William T. (William Thomas), 1834-1911
- 1 Harris, Nicholas C. (Nicholas Cobbs), 1837-1898
- 1 Hawkins, Norment D. (Norment Doniphan), 1849-1931
- 1 Henry, William B. (William Byrd), 1875-1916
- 1 Hill, A. Govan (Archibald Govan), 1839-1914
- 1 Holt, Charles A. (Charles Asbury), 1836-1908
- 1 Houston, Levin J. (Levin James), 1905-1990
- 1 Jerdone, William M. (William Macon), 1848-1900
- 1 Keitt, Thomas W. (Thomas Wadlington), 1859-1922
- 1 Kemble, William E. (William Elkanah), 1831-1896
- 1 Kyle, John H. (John Holmes), 1901-1984
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lovell, William, 1834-1892
- 1 McCarthy, Frank, 1912-1986
- 1 McCausland, John, 1836-1927
- 1 Mears, Levin W., 1838-1862
- 1 Miller, Julius G. (Julius Gordon), 1839-1908
- 1 Moncure, William A. (William Augustus), 1863-1947
- 1 Morton, Osmond S. (Osmond Summers), 1845-1920
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Neill, William
- 1 Park, William K., 1840-1865
- 1 Patton, Waller T. (Waller Tazewell), 1835-1863
- 1 Pegram, John C. (John Cargill), 1838-1864
- 1 Phillips, James J. (James Jasper), 1832-1908
- 1 Pollard, Richard, 1829-1908
- 1 Ross, George, 1838-1926
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 2 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Smith, Edward L. (Edward Livingston), 1835-1859
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Stewart, Henry M. (Henry Montgomery), 1911-1988
- 1 Stewart, Robert E. B. (Robert Edward Bruce), 1863-1901
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Waddell, James H. (James Henry), 1833-1884
- 1 Waring, John L. (John Lancaster), 1848-1942
- 1 Warren, James A. (James Albert), 1856-1879
- 1 Williams, Lewis B. (Lewis Burwell), 1833-1863
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less