Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 21
Scope and Contents One letter (September 18, 1847) from VMI Superintendent Francis H. Smith to Gen. E. C. Carrington, recommending an army commission for John P. Bowyer. Bowyer had volunteered for service in the Mexican War, in which he subsequently served.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of four items dating from his cadetship: A one volume notebook containing copied poetry and miscellaneous notes; two essays; and his VMI account book documenting school expenses, 1846-1849.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous letters and other documents to and from various members of the Moncure family, who have a long association with VMI. Included is an 1849 letter from Cadet Thomas J. Moncure (VMI Class of 1853) to his father, William A. Moncure, written while he was a fourth classman ("rat") at VMI. A complete inventory is located in the folder with the documents.
Scope and Contents One letter (1841 May 27) from VMI Cadet Nathaniel H. Campbell to Congressman William L. Goggin. Campbell requests Goggin's assistance in obtaining a position in the army.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, bulk dating from cadetship. Include six letters from Fitzhugh to his brother containing references to cadet life (graduation; hazing "plebes"; death of Henry C. Reid, Class of 1846; Washington College students, called "minks"); handwritten issue of a cadet newspaper called "The Royal Caroline", dated March 21, 1846; VMI letter of appointment and two grades reports; invitation to Society of Cadets meeting; medical school speech; letter to Fitzhugh from Henry T. Lee...
Scope and Contents Notebook (ca. 145 pages) reflecting cadet life 1848-1851. Includes accounts of Corps trips to Richmond, Petersburg, Norfolk and Rockbridge Alum Springs; cadet poetry and essays; poetry by Sara Henderson Smith; addresses delivered before the Cadet Dialectic Society (a literary and debating society); discussion of exams (1851) in English and Natural Philosophy; an account of "An Oyster Supper---A Frolic After Taps", and an account of "our last bible recitation" in which Gibbs describes the last...
Scope and Contents Manuscript notebook-diary (1849-1853) of Robert Gatewood. Entries include original and copies poetry dating from his last year at VMI; essays; diary entries dating from period 1851-1853, written while Gatewood was teaching at the College of William and Mary. Diary entries and notes frequently have a religious theme.
Scope and Contents One volume commonplace book which belonged to Virginia Military Institute Cadet Simeon B. Gibbons, containing notes, poetry, lists and miscellaneous. other writing.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a poetry notebook compiled by William Elisha Arnold during the period 1849-1864; the bulk of the entries date from the years in which he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute, 1849-1853. Such notebooks were popular among VMI cadets of the mid-19th century and typically contain both original and copied verse. The Arnold notebook contains approximately 50 poems by Arnold, other cadets, various 19th century poets, and anonymous authors. Cadet poetry includes...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1840-1849 X
- 1 Arnold, William E. (William Elisha), 1830-1902
- 1 Bowyer, John P. (John Preston), 1829?-1849
- 1 Brown, Alexander Stuart
- 1 Campbell, Nathaniel H. (Nathaniel Henry), 1824-1867
- 1 Carrington, Edward C., Jr. (Edward Codrington)
- 1 Cary, John M. (John Mathews), 1829-1853
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Fitzhugh, Philip A. (Philip Aylett), 1824-1908
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Gibbons, Simeon B. (Simeon Beauford), 1833-1862
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Gordon, William M. (William Milburn), 1830-1907
- 1 Green, William J. (William James), 1825-1862
- 1 Gunn, Giles
- 1 Lee, Henry T. (Henry Tucker), 1825-1883
- 1 Moncure family
- 1 Moncure, Thomas J. (Thomas Jefferson), 1832-1912
- 2 Powell, Daniel L. (Daniel Lee), 1826-1871
- 1 Saunders, James D., 1824-1851
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Stancell Family
- 1 Steenbergen, John W., 1831-1916
- 1 Strange family
- 1 Strange, John B. (John Bowie), 1823-1862
- 1 Terrill, William H. (William Henry), 1800-1877
- 1 Thompson, John A. (John Addy), 1832-1867
- 1 Tyler, James E., 1826-?
- 1 Yager, William O. (William Overall), 1833-1904 ∧ less