Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 32
Scope and Contents 1 letter (1859 March 22) from Jacob Lynch to his son, VMI Cadet David C. Lynch. Mr. Lynch reprimands David for excessive demerits and for acquiring debts that have not been paid. The collection also includes 1 Presbyterian hymnal used by Cadet Lynch.
Scope and Contents 4 items, including a letter (1855) from Cadet Waddell to his sister, that contains a detailed description and pencil drawing of his room (#14) in Barracks and of his roomates (Barksdale, Penn, Magruder, Shepherd, Wilson); a second drawing of a barracks room & roommates (similar to a sketch found in the Shepherd Collection, MS#0019); pencil map, 8 inches x 10 inches, labeled "Plan of Battle of Bethel Church, June 10, 1861." Letter of recommendation, 1879, written by VMI's Superintendent...
Scope and Contents Papers, 8 items, of James W. Breedlove. Includes two letters (October 13, 1859; March 11, 1861) from Cadet Breedlove to his grandfather in which he discusses his studies, expenses; two letters from Superintendent Francis H. Smith to Cadet Breedlove's grandfather, acknowledging receipt of money; three VMI quarterly grade reports; one account sheet detailing VMI expenses.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the letters and diary of Cadet John F. Early (b. 1830 in Lynchburg, Va.; d. 1894), who attended VMI 1848-1850. The one volume diary-notebook contains short and sporadic entries; daily routines and special events are noted; one of the earliest references to Superintendent Francis H. Smith as "Spex" (April 30, 1850); lists of cadets; room occupants; poetry of Sara Henderson Smith ("The Old Gray Coat) and others. The five letters were written to...
Scope and Contents One letter of recommendation written on behalf of John Waddy by Superintendent Francis H. Smith. Smith recommends him for a commission in the U.S. Army. Dated October 27, 1856.
Scope and Contents Papers consist of: Manuscript notebook compiled by Carpenter during his cadetship, 1852-1856, containing poetry, class notes, autographs of classmates, detailed account of Corps trip to Petersburg and Richmond, October 1855.Two letters written by Carpenter to his father in 1862, including letter of June 16, 1862 describing fighting near Port Republic, Virginia.Letter of recommendation written on Carpenter's behalf by Brigadier General John Echols, submitted to...
Scope and Contents Ca. 32 items. Letters, 1855-1861, written by Joseph H. Chenoweth to his parents. Letters dating from his cadetship cover topics such as exams, trips, demerits, and provide a good portrait of pre-war cadet life. Letters dated 1860-1861 were written while he was a Professor at Maryland Agricultural College and at VMI; topics include the election of 1860, John T. L. Preston, religion. The collection also contains two VMI grade reports for 1856. Transcriptions of the cadet letters are available on...
Scope and Contents One item; VMI autograph album owned by Cadet Josiah Ryland, VMI Class of 1859. Contains inscriptions by his classmates, including Scott Shipp.
Scope and Contents Notebook (ca. 145 pages) reflecting cadet life 1848-1851. Includes accounts of Corps trips to Richmond, Petersburg, Norfolk and Rockbridge Alum Springs; cadet poetry and essays; poetry by Sara Henderson Smith; addresses delivered before the Cadet Dialectic Society (a literary and debating society); discussion of exams (1851) in English and Natural Philosophy; an account of "An Oyster Supper---A Frolic After Taps", and an account of "our last bible recitation" in which Gibbs describes the last...
Scope and Contents One letter from Cadet Richard C. Taylor to his father, dated January 15, 1854. He describes in detail the circumstances surrounding the murder of his classmate Cadet Thomas Blackburn by Charles B. Christian, a Washington College law student.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1850-1859 X
- 1 Arnold, William E. (William Elisha), 1830-1902
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 3 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Booth, Thomas B., 1840-1923
- 1 Breedlove, James W. (James Winchester), 1843-1889
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Christian, Charles B. (Charles Burks)
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Fauntleroy, A. M. (Archibald Magill), 1837-1886
- 1 Fife, William E. (William Estill), 1834-1891
- 1 Gibbons, Simeon B. (Simeon Beauford), 1833-1862
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Goodman, George A. (George Augustus), 1828-1884
- 1 Gordon, William M. (William Milburn), 1830-1907
- 1 Gunn, Giles
- 1 Hardy, William T. (William Thomas), 1834-1911
- 1 Hunter, R. M. T. (Robert Mercer Taliaferro), 1809-1887
- 1 Hutter, Edward S. (Edward Sixtus), 1839-1904
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lynch, David C. (David Campbell), 1841-1863
- 1 Lynch, Jacob
- 1 Lyon, Agnes S.
- 1 McDonald, Craig W. (Craig Woodrow), 1837-1862
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Rumbough, George P. C., 1834-1916
- 1 Ryland, Josiah, 1838-1900
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 8 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, John J. (John Jaquelin), 1837-1895
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Taylor, Richard C., 1835-1917
- 1 Thompson, John A. (John Addy), 1832-1867
- 1 Waddell, James H. (James Henry), 1833-1884
- 1 Waddy, John R. (John Robinson), 1834-1903
- 1 Williams, Walter W. (Walter Wheeler), 1834-1891
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Yager, William O. (William Overall), 1833-1904 ∧ less