Showing Collections: 21 - 30 of 32
Scope and Contents 41 page manuscript of speech given at VMI by Senator Robert M. T. Hunter on July 3, 1857 as part of the celebrations marking the end of the academic year. The speech was subsequently printed by McFarlane & Fergusson, Richmond VA, and that published version is also available in the archives.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 3 items. One letter (November 17, 1859) from Cadet Downing to his father, in which he describes in detail the cadets' trip to Norfolk, VA, including an interesting account of an uncomfortable canal boat journey; one list of demerits (April-June 1860); one quarterly grade report (July 1860)
Scope and Contents One volume commonplace book which belonged to Virginia Military Institute Cadet Simeon B. Gibbons, containing notes, poetry, lists and miscellaneous. other writing.
Scope and Contents One letter (March 1, 1856) from VMI's Superintendent Francis H. Smith to the mother of Cadet John J. Smith, in which he discusses Cadet Smith's religious awakening.
Scope and Contents A collection of letters [57 items] written by Cadet Thomas Boisseau Booth to his future wife, Agnes S. Lyon of Petersburg, Virginia. All of the letters were written from VMI, where Booth was a cadet from 1855-1858, and contain largely personal news; there are occasional references to VMI news. These are essentially letters documenting the courtship of Booth and Lyon.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two items. 1. Letter dated January 25, 1855 from a Prussian official, denying Barksdale and his roommates permission to enter the Prussian Army. 2. Notebook contains class notes, including notes taken in Stonewall Jackson's class section in Natural Philsophy (a course that would today be most similar to Physics) and notes taken in Analytical Geometry class taught by Francis H. Smith; resolution issued by cadets following murder of Cadet Thomas Blackburn, Class of...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers of Thomas T. Munford, including three personal letters from Munford: 1861 April 18 to Charles Ellis, discussing the outbreak of war; 1864 May 9 to George P. Tayloe, his father-in-law, discussing the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House; May 21 1865 to Sallie Munford, his niece, expressing sadness caused by the South's defeat. Other papers include a photostat of Munford's Special Orders No. 6 dated 1865 April 25; the architecture textbook used by Munford during his cadetship...
Scope and Contents Diary-notebook, 1852-1860, kept by Walter W. Williams; ca. 100 pages. Diary entries are from VMI (1852); University of Virginia (1855-1856); Theological Seminary of Virginia (1857-1858); and Leesburg, VA (1859-1860). VMI entries include information about cadet life; many entries focus on Williams' religious beliefs. The volume also contains notes on Greek history & other academic subjects.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a poetry notebook compiled by William Elisha Arnold during the period 1849-1864; the bulk of the entries date from the years in which he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute, 1849-1853. Such notebooks were popular among VMI cadets of the mid-19th century and typically contain both original and copied verse. The Arnold notebook contains approximately 50 poems by Arnold, other cadets, various 19th century poets, and anonymous authors. Cadet poetry includes...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1850-1859 X
- 1 Arnold, William E. (William Elisha), 1830-1902
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 3 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Booth, Thomas B., 1840-1923
- 1 Breedlove, James W. (James Winchester), 1843-1889
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Christian, Charles B. (Charles Burks)
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Fauntleroy, A. M. (Archibald Magill), 1837-1886
- 1 Fife, William E. (William Estill), 1834-1891
- 1 Gibbons, Simeon B. (Simeon Beauford), 1833-1862
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Goodman, George A. (George Augustus), 1828-1884
- 1 Gordon, William M. (William Milburn), 1830-1907
- 1 Gunn, Giles
- 1 Hardy, William T. (William Thomas), 1834-1911
- 1 Hunter, R. M. T. (Robert Mercer Taliaferro), 1809-1887
- 1 Hutter, Edward S. (Edward Sixtus), 1839-1904
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lynch, David C. (David Campbell), 1841-1863
- 1 Lynch, Jacob
- 1 Lyon, Agnes S.
- 1 McDonald, Craig W. (Craig Woodrow), 1837-1862
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Rumbough, George P. C., 1834-1916
- 1 Ryland, Josiah, 1838-1900
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 8 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, John J. (John Jaquelin), 1837-1895
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Taylor, Richard C., 1835-1917
- 1 Thompson, John A. (John Addy), 1832-1867
- 1 Waddell, James H. (James Henry), 1833-1884
- 1 Waddy, John R. (John Robinson), 1834-1903
- 1 Williams, Walter W. (Walter Wheeler), 1834-1891
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Yager, William O. (William Overall), 1833-1904 ∧ less