Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 49
Hardaway H. Dinwiddie papers
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (6 items) of Hardaway H. Dinwiddie, including manuscript of VMI valedictory speech, 1867; "phrenological analysis" 1858; calling card; poems about the New Market Cadets; certificate of withdrawal from Lexington's Masonic Lodge, 1868; and 1867 VMI commencement program.
Howard J. Merritt papers
Scope and Contents Howard J. Merritt papers, consisting of 3 documents. Letter from VMI's Adjutant James H. Morrison to Cadet Merritt's father, enclosing two orders pertaining to his son's dismissal (Cadet Merritt was dismissed for deserting his post as sentinel & breaking into a storeroom to obtain bread) and subsequent reinstatement. The letter is dated Feb 25, 1865; the orders are dated Feb 15 & 23, 1865.
Jacob Kent Langhorne Civil War Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers consist of 17 Civil War letters (Sept 1862-May 1863) from Jacob Kent Langhorne to various members of his family, written during his Virginia Military Institute cadetship and his service in the Confederate Army with the 2nd Virginia Cavalry Regiment. Topics include cadet life, family matters, camp life.
James A. Harden Papers
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of letters written by James Harden to his sister, covering wartime events experienced by his unit as well as his time at Ft. Delaware. Also included is one letter written from VMI in June 1861 and miscellaneous items.
James E. Witt Letter
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter from New Market Cadet James E. Witt (Class of 1867), written from VMI HQ at the Alms House in Richmond, VA, dated 1865 February 8. Witt had just resigned his cadetship in order to join the Confederate Army during what turned out to be the last weeks of the war. The letter, addressed to "Dear Miss" [Fannie, last name unknown] is largely personal in nature, involving his relationship with the young woman. However, he does mention the resignation of large...
James Henry Reid Papers
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the Civil War correspondence (18 items) of James Henry Reid. Included are 13 letters from Reid to his parents written while he was a fourth classman at the Virginia Military Institute, August - November 1862. This correspondence contains many references to wartime cadet life, including use of the term "rat" as a name for new cadets, hazing, uniforms, food, guard duty and other aspects of life ...
James L. Merritt letters
Scope and Contents Two letters from Cadet Merritt to his father. 1863 Nov. 24, discusses school expenses, mentions the Corps being called to defend against Averell's raids; reports dissatisfaction with VMI (complains of hunger, gets " beef, irish potatoes, milk" only). May 16, 1864 written on the day after the Battle of New Market describes being wounded, action on battlefield, mentions cadets Norborne C. Lewis (Class of 1867) and John A. Crichton (Class of 1866). Letter was possibly written from the Bushong...
James W. Breedlove papers
Scope and Contents Papers, 8 items, of James W. Breedlove. Includes two letters (October 13, 1859; March 11, 1861) from Cadet Breedlove to his grandfather in which he discusses his studies, expenses; two letters from Superintendent Francis H. Smith to Cadet Breedlove's grandfather, acknowledging receipt of money; three VMI quarterly grade reports; one account sheet detailing VMI expenses.
James W. Cooper letter
Scope and Contents One letter (March 26, 1869) from Cadet James W. Cooper to Commandant Scott Shipp, tendering his resignation as Sergeant of "D" Company. Endorsement on verso by Cadet Captain James L. Ford, Class of 1869.
John B. Snodgrass Civil War Letters
Scope and Contents Eight letters and one letter fragment from Cadet Snodgrass to his sister Kate. All dated 1862 and written from VMI. Primary topic is the war and its effect on his family; occasional references to VMI. Mentions that Corps of Cadets has been ordered to aid General Jackson (see April 19, May 1, May 18); says he is "anxious to get a shot at the enemy."
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869 X
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Beverley, John H. C. (John Hill Carter), 1853-1934
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Breedlove, James W. (James Winchester), 1843-1889
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Clark, Francis B. (Francis Barnard), 1850-1896
- 1 Cooper, James W. (James Washington), 1842-1918
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas B. (Thomas Bowker), 1842-1864
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Forbes, Thomas, 1852-1926
- 1 Ford, James L. (James Leven), 1849-1932
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jerdone, William M. (William Macon), 1848-1900
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 3 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, Samuel H. (Samuel Houston), 1848-1914
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Perkins, Louisa Henderson
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherford Family
- 1 Rutherford, Robert H. (Robert Henderson), 1844-1863
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Sims, John, 1843-1889
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 2 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Taylor, Murray F. (Murray Forbes), 1843-1909
- 1 Tredway, Thomas B. (Thomas Booker), 1844-1863
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, Edward Minor, 1851-1887
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less