Showing Collections: 21 - 30 of 49
Scope and Contents The John E. Roller Papers consist of personal incoming and outgoing correspondence, 1862-1870, including Civil War era letters from cadet friends concerning life at VMI; Civil War dispatches and telegrams (1864), dating from his service with the Confederate States Engineers, including one document signed by General Robert E. Lee; scrapbook, ca. 1910, containing clippings about Civil War battles, veterans, unit reunions, monument...
Scope and Contents Hanna's diary contains a colorful account of life at VMI and in Lexington during the spring of 1864. Entries begin April 17, 1864 and end May 9, 1864. On May 10, the cadets were called to active duty at the request of Gen. John C. Breckinridge and on May 15 participated in the Battle of New Market. The entries contain comments about VMI activities and people, Lexington social life, and discussion of personal concerns. This volume was picked up by a Union soldier, probably when Union...
Scope and Contents One letter from Cadet Beverley (October 23, 1869) to his friend John, describing life at VMI. Mentions guard duty, difficulty of studies, demerit system.
Scope and Contents Letters (3 items) written by Cadet John H. Shields to his parents while he was a cadet at VMI. Items are dated March 24 and April 7, 1864, and undated letter fragment. In addition to routine matters, letter of March 24 mentions faculty member Thomas H. Williamson going to Panther's Gap to "survey the land, and make arrangements for throwing up fortifications and breastworks"; and discusses how cadets coped with the rationing of food. Miscellaneous unrelated document: field...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous personal papers (5 items) of Cadet John L. Tunstall. Includes one letter from Cadet Tunstall to his mother, in which he describes the cermonies marking the second anniversary of the Battle of New Market (including the reinterment of 5 of the cadets killed at New Market), recalls the horror of the war, and mentions visit of Robert E. Lee to Stonewall Jackson's gravesite; 2 notebooks containing VMI Class notes (Engineering); one photograph album containing ca. 33 images of...
Scope and Contents One letter from Cadet Triplett to his cousin, dated October 11, 1863. Discusses difficulty of having new shoes made because of the scarcity of leather.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 14 letters written by VMI Cadet John Sims (Class of 1871), to members of his family. Dated 1868-1871, the correspondence provides rich details of cadet life during that era, as well as containing personal news. Sims mentions many leisure activities --a traveling theater troupe, baseball vs. Washington and Lee University Lee, debating societies, ice skating--as well commenting on academic life and routine events. The letter dated October 17, 1870 mentions viewing the body...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 26 letters, bulk 1862-1865, from Mortimer Johnson and his son Porter to members of their immediate family. The Johnson family, originally from West Virginia, moved to Brownsburg in Rockbridge County, Virginia, although they maintained close ties to their former home. Topics in Mortimer's letters include civilian life during the war; the animosity between Union and Confederate sympathizers in West Virginia (the letter of April 28, 1863 discusses the Union loyalty of...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of twelve items. Included are letters (8 items), 1862-1864, addressed to Cadet Patrick H. Morgan. Those from his father (James B. Morgan of Currituck,Co. NC) contain news of Civil War civilian & home life Currituck Co., North Carolina, 1863-1864. Specific topics include enemy raids for food and supplies, diptheria, an uncle's death in battle, and the hardships of war. Other letters are from family friends and cousin John B. Wiginton. Also included are Cadet Morgan's...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869 X
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Beverley, John H. C. (John Hill Carter), 1853-1934
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Breedlove, James W. (James Winchester), 1843-1889
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Clark, Francis B. (Francis Barnard), 1850-1896
- 1 Cooper, James W. (James Washington), 1842-1918
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas B. (Thomas Bowker), 1842-1864
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Forbes, Thomas, 1852-1926
- 1 Ford, James L. (James Leven), 1849-1932
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jerdone, William M. (William Macon), 1848-1900
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 3 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, Samuel H. (Samuel Houston), 1848-1914
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Perkins, Louisa Henderson
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherford Family
- 1 Rutherford, Robert H. (Robert Henderson), 1844-1863
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Sims, John, 1843-1889
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 2 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Taylor, Murray F. (Murray Forbes), 1843-1909
- 1 Tredway, Thomas B. (Thomas Booker), 1844-1863
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, Edward Minor, 1851-1887
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less