Showing Collections: 31 - 40 of 49
Scope and Contents One letter (January 15, 1865) written to Cadet G. B. Wallace Nalle by his father Philip Pendleton Nalle of Culpepper Co., Virginia; Mr. Nalle urges Cadet Nalle to remain at VMI rather than join the Confederate Army. Also one letter fragment from Cadet Nalle's mother, ca. 1865, in which Mrs. Nalle discusses the actions of Union troops in Culpepper Co. and other war news.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous receipts (20 items) for Chaffin's expenses at VMI, and for various family expenses during the Civil War. Dated Jan.-Dec. 1863.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 2 items: One letter (February 14th, 1862) from Cadet Robert H. Rutherford to his cousin Louisa Henderson Perkins, in which he describes life at VMI and mentions Valentine's Day; and Rutherford's prayer book.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 3 items. One letter (November 17, 1859) from Cadet Downing to his father, in which he describes in detail the cadets' trip to Norfolk, VA, including an interesting account of an uncomfortable canal boat journey; one list of demerits (April-June 1860); one quarterly grade report (July 1860)
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents Papers consist of two letters (1862) written by Cadet Atwill to his parents, relating anecdotes about life at VMI; one letter (July 1864) from Supt. Francis H. Smith notifying family of Atwill's death; fragment of Atwill's cadet account book. Atwill was thoughtful and religious; his letters also reflect a wonderful sense of humor---they contain amusing anecdotes about wartime cadet life, including a colorful account of cadets stealing chickens from a local farmer in order to supplement the...
Scope and Contents One manuscript notebook (6.5 x 8 inches, ca. 20 pages) covered in blue paper; the cover bears the notation "S. G. Wingfield-VMI-1864 & 65." The notebook contains brief farewell inscriptions written by Wingfield's classmates in 1865; at the end there is a short play or skit, probably original.
Scope and Contents Manuscript (holograph, 19 pages) of VMI valedictory address of Cadet Samuel H. Letcher. The speech was delivered at VMI Finals in July 1869. Annotations by John T. L. Preston.
Scope and Contents Thomas A. Stevenson papers, 5 items. Including three letters (1860 Nov. 20; 1861 Feb. 23 and April 19) from Cadet Stevenson (known as Andrew) to his sister Maria, in which he discusses the possibility of war, the celebration of Washington's birthday, and war preparation activities at VMI following the announcement of Virginia's secession. The papers also include one Confederate War Department visitor's pass (1861 Nov. 11) allowing Maria Stevenson to travel to Norfolk; and one letter (27 March...
Scope and Contents The Thomas B. Davis collection contains two items. The first is a letter from Davis to his sister, Mrs. Camillus Christian, dated March 22, 1863. This letter was written while Davis was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, VA. In this letter he mentions activities at VMI, Civil War news ("a considerable cavalry fight on the Rappahannock"), the unusual late snows, and provides an early use of the term rat as a reference to new cadets ("The legislature is still cutting up...
Scope and Contents One letter to Cadet Forbes from his father, dated August 6, 1869. Mentions sending money so that Thomas can travel to the Springs with other members of the Corps. Letter found in Treasurer's records, 1981.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869 X
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Beverley, John H. C. (John Hill Carter), 1853-1934
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Breedlove, James W. (James Winchester), 1843-1889
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Clark, Francis B. (Francis Barnard), 1850-1896
- 1 Cooper, James W. (James Washington), 1842-1918
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas B. (Thomas Bowker), 1842-1864
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Forbes, Thomas, 1852-1926
- 1 Ford, James L. (James Leven), 1849-1932
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jerdone, William M. (William Macon), 1848-1900
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 3 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, Samuel H. (Samuel Houston), 1848-1914
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Perkins, Louisa Henderson
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherford Family
- 1 Rutherford, Robert H. (Robert Henderson), 1844-1863
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Sims, John, 1843-1889
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 2 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Taylor, Murray F. (Murray Forbes), 1843-1909
- 1 Tredway, Thomas B. (Thomas Booker), 1844-1863
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, Edward Minor, 1851-1887
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less