Showing Collections: 41 - 49 of 49
Thomas Tredway letter
Scope and Contents One letter (1862 February 17) from Cadet Thomas B. Tredway to his father, William Marshall Tredway of Chatham, VA. Thomas discusses VMI's daily academic routine, the food served to cadets (beef, molasses, bread and butter), regulations, and mentions that the cadets have offered their services to Governor John Letcher.
VMI Civil War Military Training Advertisement
Scope and Contents The printed portion of the document outlines the proposed training regimen and lists estimated monthly expenses. This particular document was mailed to Christopher Damron, a lawyer in Allegheny County, who had inquired about enrolling his sons (they did not enroll) A handwritten note from VMI's treasurer William S. Polk to Mr. Damron appears at the bottom of the document.
Wilberforce Veitch document
Scope and Contents Leave of absence document issued to Cadet Wilberforce Veitch (VMI Class of 1867). Issued from VMI's temporary headquarters at the Alms House in Richmond, Virginia on April 3, 1865, when the Corps was disbanded during the evacuation of the city.
William Galt notebook
Scope and Contents From the 1850's through the end of the Civil War, many VMI cadets kept notebooks which they filled with poetry concerning cadet life, songs, recipes, personal notes, autographs of classmates, and other mementos. This notebook, bulk dating from ca. 1862-1863, was compiled by Cadet William "Willie" Galt, VMI Class of 1864. The manuscript reflects the concerns and interests of a wartime cadet and thus contains many verses and songs inspired by the ongoing conflict. A few of the entries toward the...
William J. Black Civil War Diary and VMI Account Book
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the one volume diary of Confederate soldier William J. Black. The diary entries date from October 1864 - January 1865, written while Black was serving in Captain John J. Shoemaker's Company, Virginia Horse Artillery. Included are brief accounts of various skirmishes and the Battle of Cedar Creek; campsites and positions are recorded daily. Following the diary entries are copies of two of Shoemaker's reports detailing Battery activities, dated September 1, 1864...
William J. Hubard notebook
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one volume notebook compiled in 1862 by Virginia Military Institute Cadet William James Hubard. The bulk of the volume contains poetry and mementos; there are also two diary entries. The poetry includes The Six Plebes and The Old Gray Coat by Sara Henderson Smith, and several poems attributed to Cadets Edward A. Rhodes, John F. Hanna, and Benjamin F. Bishop. Subjects of the verses are VMI life and regulations, including many references to faculty members (Francis H....
William M. Jerdone papers
Scope and Contents Papers consist of Jerdone's handwritten mathematics examination essay (64 pages) submitted to Professor James W. Massie; the topic is "Analysis of Analytical Geometry", dated 1868 Dec. 28. Also 25 drawings completed as class assignments at VMI.
William T. Yarbrough Civil War letters
Scope and Contents The collection consists of five letters documenting Civil War cadet life (October 1863-May 1864), written by Cadet William T. Yarbrough, VMI Class of 1867. Yarbrough was a member of the New Market Corps who did not take part in the battle due to ill health (he was left at VMI with the guard detail). The letters, addressed to his parents, include references to academics, uniforms, flirting with local girls, and family concerns. The letter dated May 18, 1864 briefly mentions the fact that the...
Willis O. Harris Collection
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter from New Market Cadet Willis O. Harris (Class of 1867), written from VMI on April 17th, 1864. Although primarily containing comments on family news, Harris does mention the uncertainty of whether or not the Corps will be called into the Army and expresses his wish to "have the credit of contributing to the common cause before peace is declared." Less than a month later Harris participated as a cadet in the Battle of New Market. Other documents in the...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869 X
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Beverley, John H. C. (John Hill Carter), 1853-1934
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Breedlove, James W. (James Winchester), 1843-1889
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Clark, Francis B. (Francis Barnard), 1850-1896
- 1 Cooper, James W. (James Washington), 1842-1918
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas B. (Thomas Bowker), 1842-1864
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Forbes, Thomas, 1852-1926
- 1 Ford, James L. (James Leven), 1849-1932
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jerdone, William M. (William Macon), 1848-1900
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 3 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, Samuel H. (Samuel Houston), 1848-1914
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Perkins, Louisa Henderson
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherford Family
- 1 Rutherford, Robert H. (Robert Henderson), 1844-1863
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Sims, John, 1843-1889
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 2 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Taylor, Murray F. (Murray Forbes), 1843-1909
- 1 Tredway, Thomas B. (Thomas Booker), 1844-1863
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, Edward Minor, 1851-1887
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less