Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 43
Scope and Contents Letter from Cadet Alfred R. Gibbons to his father, dated December 22, 1863. Discusses Corps being called out on a march in response to Union Army troop movements; misc. aspects of cadet life.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the papers consist of 28 letters written by Gatewood to his parents and other family members, 1860-1864.Early letters describe life at the Virginia Military Institute (hazing, daily routine, excitement about secession, cadets as drillmasters) and in Lexington, Virginia, just prior to and during early months of the Civil War. Subsequent letters date from his service with the 11th Virginia Cavalry Regiment,Company F, (Bath Squadron), including a letter written after the second Battle...
Scope and Contents Civil War parole document dated April 18, 1865, signed by Andrew Pizzini, Jr. This document is a typical example of the document signed by Confederate prisoners at the end of the Civil War.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of three members of the Barton family who attended the Virginia Military Institute during the mid-19th century. Papers relating to Cadet Charles M. Barton (VMI Class of 1856) include a letter dated September 28, 1855 from Charles to his cousin Joseph M. Barton, in which he complains about VMI life and about his instructor Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (Jackson is described as a "hell of a fool"). Other Charles Barton material is found in a...
Scope and Contents Keepsake albums, popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Five items, including autograph album compiled by VMI New Market Cadet Edward Harvie Smith, Jr. It contains signed inscriptions by 19 fellow New Market Cadets. Other items: Farmer D. Cochran (Class of 1889); Thomas G. Tate (Class of 1877); 1874 Class members (original owner unknown); Class of 1902 autograph page.
Scope and Contents Account book fragment (3 pages) of Cadet Charles B. Hundley, Class of 1867. Contains entries for VMI expenses, 1864-1865.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one volume notebook-diary kept by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Charles T. Haigh in 1862- 1864. The volume provides insight into the life and concerns of a VMI cadet during the Civil War. It primarily contains poetry written by his classmates, as well as poetry by Sara Henderson Smith, the wife of VMI's Superintendent, Francis H. Smith. The diary portion contains sparse entries for the period March-May 1863. Included are occasional references to...
Scope and Contents One letter (November 26, 1863) from Cadet Edmund Berkeley to his mother. Berkeley has been informed of his sister's death and offers consolation to his mother. He also gives VMI news and complains about the food (early reference to "growley" a VMI slang word used for mess hall food).
Scope and Contents One letter from Thomas B. Robinson (VMI Class of 1856 and faculty member) recommending Cadet Francis S. Johnson for service in the Confederate Army. The letter is dated March 20, 1865.
Scope and Contents Howard J. Merritt papers, consisting of 3 documents. Letter from VMI's Adjutant James H. Morrison to Cadet Merritt's father, enclosing two orders pertaining to his son's dismissal (Cadet Merritt was dismissed for deserting his post as sentinel & breaking into a storeroom to obtain bread) and subsequent reinstatement. The letter is dated Feb 25, 1865; the orders are dated Feb 15 & 23, 1865.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1861-1865 X
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Bagnall, John S. (John Seldon), 1844-1922
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Brannon, John, 1822-1901
- 1 Breedlove, James W. (James Winchester), 1843-1889
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Chalmers, William M. (William Murray), 1845-1895
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 1 Crim, Eliza Clinedinst, 1838-1931
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas B. (Thomas Bowker), 1842-1864
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gibbons, Alfred Ringgold
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 1 Hundley, Charles B. (Charles Buckler), 1846-1908
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jefferson, Thomas G. (Thomas Garland)
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Perkins, Louisa Henderson
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Radford, William N. (William Norvell), 1846-1872
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherford Family
- 1 Rutherford, Robert H. (Robert Henderson), 1844-1863
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Shriver Family
- 2 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 2 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 2 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Taylor, Murray F. (Murray Forbes), 1843-1909
- 1 Tredway, Thomas B. (Thomas Booker), 1844-1863
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less