Showing Collections: 31 - 40 of 43
Scope and Contents One manuscript notebook (6.5 x 8 inches, ca. 20 pages) covered in blue paper; the cover bears the notation "S. G. Wingfield-VMI-1864 & 65." The notebook contains brief farewell inscriptions written by Wingfield's classmates in 1865; at the end there is a short play or skit, probably original.
Contents Note One letter from VMI Board of Visitors member John Brannon to Jacob S. Shriver, appointing Jacob's son Samuel to VMI. The letter is dated 1861 December 23.
Scope and Contents Thomas A. Stevenson papers, 5 items. Including three letters (1860 Nov. 20; 1861 Feb. 23 and April 19) from Cadet Stevenson (known as Andrew) to his sister Maria, in which he discusses the possibility of war, the celebration of Washington's birthday, and war preparation activities at VMI following the announcement of Virginia's secession. The papers also include one Confederate War Department visitor's pass (1861 Nov. 11) allowing Maria Stevenson to travel to Norfolk; and one letter (27 March...
Scope and Contents The Thomas B. Davis collection contains two items. The first is a letter from Davis to his sister, Mrs. Camillus Christian, dated March 22, 1863. This letter was written while Davis was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, VA. In this letter he mentions activities at VMI, Civil War news ("a considerable cavalry fight on the Rappahannock"), the unusual late snows, and provides an early use of the term rat as a reference to new cadets ("The legislature is still cutting up...
Scope and Contents One letter (1862 February 17) from Cadet Thomas B. Tredway to his father, William Marshall Tredway of Chatham, VA. Thomas discusses VMI's daily academic routine, the food served to cadets (beef, molasses, bread and butter), regulations, and mentions that the cadets have offered their services to Governor John Letcher.
Scope and Contents The printed portion of the document outlines the proposed training regimen and lists estimated monthly expenses. This particular document was mailed to Christopher Damron, a lawyer in Allegheny County, who had inquired about enrolling his sons (they did not enroll) A handwritten note from VMI's treasurer William S. Polk to Mr. Damron appears at the bottom of the document.
Scope and Contents Leave of absence document issued to Cadet Wilberforce Veitch (VMI Class of 1867). Issued from VMI's temporary headquarters at the Alms House in Richmond, Virginia on April 3, 1865, when the Corps was disbanded during the evacuation of the city.
Scope and Contents From the 1850's through the end of the Civil War, many VMI cadets kept notebooks which they filled with poetry concerning cadet life, songs, recipes, personal notes, autographs of classmates, and other mementos. This notebook, bulk dating from ca. 1862-1863, was compiled by Cadet William "Willie" Galt, VMI Class of 1864. The manuscript reflects the concerns and interests of a wartime cadet and thus contains many verses and songs inspired by the ongoing conflict. A few of the entries toward the...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the one volume diary of Confederate soldier William J. Black. The diary entries date from October 1864 - January 1865, written while Black was serving in Captain John J. Shoemaker's Company, Virginia Horse Artillery. Included are brief accounts of various skirmishes and the Battle of Cedar Creek; campsites and positions are recorded daily. Following the diary entries are copies of two of Shoemaker's reports detailing Battery activities, dated September 1, 1864...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one volume notebook compiled in 1862 by Virginia Military Institute Cadet William James Hubard. The bulk of the volume contains poetry and mementos; there are also two diary entries. The poetry includes The Six Plebes and The Old Gray Coat by Sara Henderson Smith, and several poems attributed to Cadets Edward A. Rhodes, John F. Hanna, and Benjamin F. Bishop. Subjects of the verses are VMI life and regulations, including many references to faculty members (Francis H....
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1861-1865 X
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Bagnall, John S. (John Seldon), 1844-1922
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Brannon, John, 1822-1901
- 1 Breedlove, James W. (James Winchester), 1843-1889
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Chalmers, William M. (William Murray), 1845-1895
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 1 Crim, Eliza Clinedinst, 1838-1931
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas B. (Thomas Bowker), 1842-1864
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gibbons, Alfred Ringgold
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 1 Hundley, Charles B. (Charles Buckler), 1846-1908
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jefferson, Thomas G. (Thomas Garland)
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Perkins, Louisa Henderson
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Radford, William N. (William Norvell), 1846-1872
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherford Family
- 1 Rutherford, Robert H. (Robert Henderson), 1844-1863
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Shriver Family
- 2 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 2 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 2 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Taylor, Murray F. (Murray Forbes), 1843-1909
- 1 Tredway, Thomas B. (Thomas Booker), 1844-1863
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less