Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 21
Scope and Contents The Oliver M. Rutledge Papers consist primarily of incoming and outgoing correspondence of Virginia Military Institute Cadet Oliver M. Rutledge for the period 1879-1882. Included are letters received at from parents, siblings and friends. A few letters written by Rutledge contain references to cadet life in the 1880's. The letter of May 14, 1882 to his mother describes the mineral springs resort at Dagger's Springs, Virginia. Additional miscellaneous items include an 1882 VMI graduation...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a 3 volume diary dating from the VMI cadetship of Richard K. Boney, Class of 1878. Daily brief entries, 1874-1878, note weather and significant events. The collection also contains a poetry notebook, 1874-1878, including standard VMI poetry and copied quotations; and one scrapbook fragment, 1874-1878, with clippings about VMI events such as commencement, and miscellaneous programs and invitations.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one manuscript notebook compiled by VMI Cadet Robert A. Paine in 1879. The book contains lyrics of songs popular during the 1870's
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two poetry notebooks compiled by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Robert Beverley during the period 1874-1875. The volumes contains original poetry composed by VMI cadets, as well as copied verses. Cadet authors include Smith Caruthers, Class of 1875; Samuel M. Cooper, Class of 1876; Selby Jones, Class of 1864; and Charles D. Walker, Class of 1869. The notebooks also contain poetry by faculty member Robert L. Madison. An index is located in front of volume one.
Scope and Contents Poetry notebook compiled by Cadet William E. Wiegand, containing original and copied poetry. This item is in very poor condition.
Scope and Contents The William H. Green account book contains a listing of school expenses incurred while Green was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute, 1870-1873.
Scope and Contents VMI account book of Cadet William H. Mitchell. Contains entries for cadet expenses, 1870-1871. Also contains household financial accounts for William and possibly other Mitchell family members for 1889-1891.
Scope and Contents The William H. Dudley Papers consist of two documents reflecting 1870's VMI cadet life. The letter of October 5, 1872, from Cadet Dudley (Class of 1874) to his mother contains references to various VMI routines (declamation, drill), as well as family information. A VMI quarterly report (October 1, 1873) includes class marks, account information, and comments by Superintendent Francis H. Smith concerning demerits for conduct. Infractions included "laughing in ranks," "talking in church," and...
Scope and Contents One letter (October 16, 1870) from Cadet William Nalle to his mother, Mrs. Thomas Botts Nalle. Contains a detailed account of the death and funeral of General Robert E. Lee. Nalle describes mourning activities at VMI, Washington College, and Lexington; standing guard over Lee's body with four other cadets; funeral procession. Letter also mentions flood in Rockbridge County that destroyed canal locks, bridges and other property.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the notebook (ca. 165 pages) of VMI Cadet William Neill, containing copied and possibly original poetry; and one watercolor sketch (10" x 7.5") of barracks room number 38, drawn by Neill and dated October 1877.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1870-1879 X
- 1 Beverley, Robert, 1858-1928
- 1 Boney, Richard K. (Richard Kinsey), 1858-1937
- 1 Caruthers, Smith
- 1 Clark, Francis B. (Francis Barnard), 1850-1896
- 1 Cooper, Samuel M.
- 1 Dudley, William H. (William Henry), 1856-1886
- 1 Exall, Alexander D. (Alexander Duval), 1853-1928
- 1 Ficklin, Benjamin F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1827-1871
- 1 Forsythe, James A. (James Adger), 1853-1925
- 1 Green, William H. (William Henry), 1852-1891
- 1 Hall, Julien A.
- 1 Johnston, Andrew L. (Andrew Langstaff)
- 1 Jones, Selby
- 1 Laird, Edward C. (Edward Chambers), 1854-1938
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Mitchell Family
- 1 Mitchell, William H. (William Heiskell), 1850-1907
- 1 Mosby Family
- 1 Mosby, John B. (John Burks), 1853-1876
- 1 Nalle, William
- 1 Neill, William
- 1 Paine, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1859-1929
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1856-1927
- 1 Rutledge family
- 1 Rutledge, Oliver M. (Oliver Middleton), 1862-1928
- 1 Sims, John, 1843-1889
- 1 Tams, William P. (William Purviance), 1852-1920
- 1 Walker, Charles D.
- 2 Wiegand, William E. (William Edward), 1853-1928 ∧ less