Showing Collections: 11 - 17 of 17
Scope and Contents Letter fragment from Cadet Portner to "Eddie", written from VMI on October 20, 1892. Discusses experiment using telephone receiver; first part of letter is in German.
Scope and Contents Papers (ca. 25 items) documenting Talbott's cadetship and part of his army career. Includes VMI report and confinement list (1898); diary and miscellaneous items dating from his service with the 28th Infantry Regiment in the Philippines, 1901-1903; awards and certificates.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a 40 page diary kept by Virginia Militiary Institute Cadet Sidney Perry from 1888-1891; a Class of 1892 photograph album containing photos of classmates, faculty, and cadet life; and six individual images, primarily summer camp scenes, circa 1890. The diary includes details of daily cadet life and an account of the death of Cadet Warner T. Taliaferro died following a fight with a fellow cadet, Frank W. McConnico.
Scope and Contents The Spencer L. Carter Collection contains two items dating from Carter's Virginia Military Institute cadetship. Included is a notebook (binding missing) compiled by Carter, concerning VMI football and baseball. It includes lists of teams, game scores, and plays. The collection also contains an annotated copy of "The VMI Scrapbook," a compilation of cadet poetry and prose published in 1891. Carter added notes concerning the VMI Class of 1893, cadet officers, and Kappa Alpha Fraternity members.
Scope and Contents One letter (November 14, 1893) from Cadet Humphreys to his father, written from Staunton after he ran away from VMI. For related collection see George W. Rouss letters (MS 0077).
Scope and Contents The William N. Brown account book contains a listing of school expenses incurred while Brown was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute, 1889-1893.
Scope and Contents One letter, dated September 25, 1890, from Cadet William S. Weddell to his mother. He describes the day on which his classmate Cadet Warner T. Taliaferro died following a fight with a fellow cadet, Frank W. McConnico.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1890-1899 X
- 1 Brown, William N. (William Nelson), 1873-1959
- 1 Carter, Spencer L. (Spencer Leslie), 1873-1950
- 1 Cocke, Henry T. (Henry Teller), 1876-1944
- 1 Cocke, John T. B., 1870-1951
- 1 Fry, Henry P. (Henry Peck), 1881-1956
- 1 Hinton, Erasmus G. (Erasmus Gill), 1876-1946
- 1 Hinton, Harley R. (Harley Ross), 1876-1953
- 1 Howard, Conway R. (Conway Robinson), 1881-1936
- 1 Humphreys, William L. (William Leland), 1876?-1923
- 1 Janney, John, 1877-1967
- 1 Marshall, George C. (George Catlett), 1880-1959
- 1 Naylor, John Carson
- 1 Orr, John, 1875-1909
- 1 Perry, Sidney R. (Sidney Rawson), 1873-1929
- 1 Portner, Robert F. (Robert Francis), 1874-1900
- 1 Rouss, George W. (George William), 1876-1937
- 1 Rouss, Milton, 1840-1922
- 1 Talbott, Samuel G. (Samuel Greaner), 1877-1965
- 2 Taliaferro, Warner T. (Warner Throckmorton), 1874-1890
- 1 Weddell, William S. (William Sparrow), 1874-1944
- 1 Wise family
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1874-1968
- 1 Wise, Henry Alexander, 1906-1982
- 1 Wise, Jennings C. (Jennings Cropper), 1881-1968 ∧ less