Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Barton Family Papers
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of three members of the Barton family who attended the Virginia Military Institute during the mid-19th century. Papers relating to Cadet Charles M. Barton (VMI Class of 1856) include a letter dated September 28, 1855 from Charles to his cousin Joseph M. Barton, in which he complains about VMI life and about his instructor Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (Jackson is described as a "hell of a fool"). Other Charles Barton material is found in a...
Francis M. Boykin Civil War Papers
Scope and Contents The collection consists Civil War papers (8 items, all dated 1861), including two commission documents, extracts from orders, a letter from Governor John Letcher ordering Boykin to proceed to Grafton and communicate with Col. Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall), one letter bearing the signature of Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Francis S. Johnson letter of recommendation
Scope and Contents One letter from Thomas B. Robinson (VMI Class of 1856 and faculty member) recommending Cadet Francis S. Johnson for service in the Confederate Army. The letter is dated March 20, 1865.
Francis W. Smith letters
Scope and Contents Letters (12 items), 1859-1860, from Francis Williamson Smith and others to artist Alexander Galt. Letters concern Smith family portraits; bust of Philip St. George Cocke, a member of the VMI Board of Visitors.
George M. Edgar letters
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 2 letters. Letter to Edgar, dated May 17, 1864, commends him for the assistance rendered by his battalion at the Battle of New Market on May 15. The commendation was written at the direction of General Wharton. Letter from Edgar (1885) written while he was President of the Arkansas Industrial University, in which he replies to James E. Blankenship's (VMI Class of 1852) application for a job.
George P. C. Rumbough commencement speech manuscript
Scope and Contents Manuscript, 10 pages, of the commencement speech delivered by VMI Cadet George Rumbough on July 4, 1856.
Joseph H. Carpenter papers
Scope and Contents Papers consist of: Manuscript notebook compiled by Carpenter during his cadetship, 1852-1856, containing poetry, class notes, autographs of classmates, detailed account of Corps trip to Petersburg and Richmond, October 1855.Two letters written by Carpenter to his father in 1862, including letter of June 16, 1862 describing fighting near Port Republic, Virginia.Letter of recommendation written on Carpenter's behalf by Brigadier General John Echols, submitted to...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1856 X
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Cocke, Philip St. George, 1809-1861
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edgar, George M. (George Mathews), 1837-1913
- 1 Galt, Alexander
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Rumbough, George P. C., 1834-1916
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Francis W. (Francis Williamson), 1838-1865 ∧ less