Showing Collections: 11 - 14 of 14
Scope and Contents Thomas A. Stevenson papers, 5 items. Including three letters (1860 Nov. 20; 1861 Feb. 23 and April 19) from Cadet Stevenson (known as Andrew) to his sister Maria, in which he discusses the possibility of war, the celebration of Washington's birthday, and war preparation activities at VMI following the announcement of Virginia's secession. The papers also include one Confederate War Department visitor's pass (1861 Nov. 11) allowing Maria Stevenson to travel to Norfolk; and one letter (27 March...
Scope and Contents The printed portion of the document outlines the proposed training regimen and lists estimated monthly expenses. This particular document was mailed to Christopher Damron, a lawyer in Allegheny County, who had inquired about enrolling his sons (they did not enroll) A handwritten note from VMI's treasurer William S. Polk to Mr. Damron appears at the bottom of the document.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of an original manuscript Civil War notebook, including reports (September 1862-May 1863) submitted to the Chief Engineer's Office, Army of Northern Virginia, in which Williamson discusses destroying bridges at Harper's Ferry, and reconnaissance and mapping trips in the Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont; poetry, notes about architecture and engineering, and Williamson family genealogy. The papers also include miscellaneous correspondence and documents (1868-1898) and...
Scope and Contents From the 1850's through the end of the Civil War, many VMI cadets kept notebooks which they filled with poetry concerning cadet life, songs, recipes, personal notes, autographs of classmates, and other mementos. This notebook, bulk dating from ca. 1862-1863, was compiled by Cadet William "Willie" Galt, VMI Class of 1864. The manuscript reflects the concerns and interests of a wartime cadet and thus contains many verses and songs inspired by the ongoing conflict. A few of the entries toward the...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1864 X
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hempstead, Junius L. (Junius Lackland), 1842-1920
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Pelham, John, 1838-1863
- 1 Pettigrew, Albert H. (Albert Harrison), 1840-1891
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Steptoe family
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Taylor, Murray F. (Murray Forbes), 1843-1909
- 1 Thomson family
- 1 Thomson, James W. (James Walton), 1843-1865
- 1 Williamson family
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Williamson, William G. (William Garnett), 1840-1898
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918 ∧ less