Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 15
Barton Family Papers
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of three members of the Barton family who attended the Virginia Military Institute during the mid-19th century. Papers relating to Cadet Charles M. Barton (VMI Class of 1856) include a letter dated September 28, 1855 from Charles to his cousin Joseph M. Barton, in which he complains about VMI life and about his instructor Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (Jackson is described as a "hell of a fool"). Other Charles Barton material is found in a...
Benjamin Holliday Civil War Parole Document
Scope and Contents One parole document releasing Confederate soldier Benjamin Holliday from Point Lookout (MD) prison. On reverse is oath of allegiance to the United States signed by Holliday.
Cadet Autograph Albums
Scope and Contents Keepsake albums, popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Five items, including autograph album compiled by VMI New Market Cadet Edward Harvie Smith, Jr. It contains signed inscriptions by 19 fellow New Market Cadets. Other items: Farmer D. Cochran (Class of 1889); Thomas G. Tate (Class of 1877); 1874 Class members (original owner unknown); Class of 1902 autograph page.
Charles T. Haigh Notebook-Diary
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one volume notebook-diary kept by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Charles T. Haigh in 1862- 1864. The volume provides insight into the life and concerns of a VMI cadet during the Civil War. It primarily contains poetry written by his classmates, as well as poetry by Sara Henderson Smith, the wife of VMI's Superintendent, Francis H. Smith. The diary portion contains sparse entries for the period March-May 1863. Included are occasional references to...
Jacob Kent Langhorne Civil War Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers consist of 17 Civil War letters (Sept 1862-May 1863) from Jacob Kent Langhorne to various members of his family, written during his Virginia Military Institute cadetship and his service in the Confederate Army with the 2nd Virginia Cavalry Regiment. Topics include cadet life, family matters, camp life.
James Henry Reid Papers
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the Civil War correspondence (18 items) of James Henry Reid. Included are 13 letters from Reid to his parents written while he was a fourth classman at the Virginia Military Institute, August - November 1862. This correspondence contains many references to wartime cadet life, including use of the term "rat" as a name for new cadets, hazing, uniforms, food, guard duty and other aspects of life ...
John G. James papers
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 16 letters and one postcard written by John G. James to his friend Samuel Y. Ferguson of Witchita Falls, Texas. Of special interest is the letter of April 17, 1927, in which James describes his memories of witnessing the VMI Corps of Cadets arrival in Richmond, April 1861, under the command of Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson. This same letter contains a brief recollection of James' participation in Jackson's funeral. Other letters contain James family information, political...
John R. Triplett letter
Scope and Contents One letter from Cadet Triplett to his cousin, dated October 11, 1863. Discusses difficulty of having new shoes made because of the scarcity of leather.
Lawrence Royster Civil War Parole Document
Scope and Contents Civil War parole document granted to Lawrence Royster after surrender of the Confederacy, dated May 16, 1865, Charlottesville, Virginia. The document gives him "permission to go to his home in Richmond, Virginia".
Morgan Family Civil War Papers
Scope and Contents The collection consists of twelve items. Included are letters (8 items), 1862-1864, addressed to Cadet Patrick H. Morgan. Those from his father (James B. Morgan of Currituck,Co. NC) contain news of Civil War civilian & home life Currituck Co., North Carolina, 1863-1864. Specific topics include enemy raids for food and supplies, diptheria, an uncle's death in battle, and the hardships of war. Other letters are from family friends and cousin John B. Wiginton. Also included are Cadet Morgan's...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1866 X
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Davis, Thomas B. (Thomas Bowker), 1842-1864
- 1 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Holliday, Benjamin T.
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 James, John G. (John Garland), 1844-1930
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918 ∧ less