Showing Collections: 11 - 15 of 15
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of noted 19th century sculptor Moses Jacob Ezekiel. Included is correspondence to Virginia Military Institute Superintendent Edward West Nichols and others, 1867- 1917, some relating to the design of the Battle of New Market memorial sculpture Virginia Mourning Her Dead; pen and ink sketches by Ezekiel (ca. 67 items); a typescript version of Ezekiel's autobiography, Memoirs from the Baths of Diocletian and miscellaneous printed material.
Scope and Contents The New Market Collection consists primarily of reminiscences of the Battle of New Market Virginia (May 15, 1864) written by participants and other witnesses between 1894-1915. Written in response to specific inquiries and questionnaires, these memoirs were collected by various groups and individuals, including the VMI Alumni Association, author/historian Edward R. Turner, Henry A. Wise (VMI Class of 1862 and battle veteran) and Benjamin A. Colonna (VMI Class of 1864 and battle veteran). In...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous receipts (20 items) for Chaffin's expenses at VMI, and for various family expenses during the Civil War. Dated Jan.-Dec. 1863.
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents Papers consist of two letters (1862) written by Cadet Atwill to his parents, relating anecdotes about life at VMI; one letter (July 1864) from Supt. Francis H. Smith notifying family of Atwill's death; fragment of Atwill's cadet account book. Atwill was thoughtful and religious; his letters also reflect a wonderful sense of humor---they contain amusing anecdotes about wartime cadet life, including a colorful account of cadets stealing chickens from a local farmer in order to supplement the...
Scope and Contents The Thomas B. Davis collection contains two items. The first is a letter from Davis to his sister, Mrs. Camillus Christian, dated March 22, 1863. This letter was written while Davis was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, VA. In this letter he mentions activities at VMI, Civil War news ("a considerable cavalry fight on the Rappahannock"), the unusual late snows, and provides an early use of the term rat as a reference to new cadets ("The legislature is still cutting up...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1866 X
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Davis, Thomas B. (Thomas Bowker), 1842-1864
- 1 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Holliday, Benjamin T.
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 James, John G. (John Garland), 1844-1930
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918 ∧ less