Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 24
Scope and Contents Collection (ca. 20 items) includes letters from Cadet Stanard to his family (1863-1864); telegram concerning Stanard's body; letters from his brother Robert to their mother (1865); 2 essays written at VMI.
Scope and Contents Papers from the career of John F. Bransford. The papers include correspondence, 1889-1916 (6 items); articles re: Central American research; medical school diploma and various certificates; and paroled prisoner's pass (April 10, 1865).
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous personal papers (5 items) of Cadet John L. Tunstall. Includes one letter from Cadet Tunstall to his mother, in which he describes the cermonies marking the second anniversary of the Battle of New Market (including the reinterment of 5 of the cadets killed at New Market), recalls the horror of the war, and mentions visit of Robert E. Lee to Stonewall Jackson's gravesite; 2 notebooks containing VMI Class notes (Engineering); one photograph album containing ca. 33 images of...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous professional papers (25 items, 1883-1905) of John S. Webb. Included are two letters concerning railroad under construction in Mississippi; patent for a rail joint (with sketch); blueprints and drawings from various construction projects. 8 misc. photographs.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 26 letters, bulk 1862-1865, from Mortimer Johnson and his son Porter to members of their immediate family. The Johnson family, originally from West Virginia, moved to Brownsburg in Rockbridge County, Virginia, although they maintained close ties to their former home. Topics in Mortimer's letters include civilian life during the war; the animosity between Union and Confederate sympathizers in West Virginia (the letter of April 28, 1863 discusses the Union loyalty of...
Scope and Contents One letter (January 15, 1865) written to Cadet G. B. Wallace Nalle by his father Philip Pendleton Nalle of Culpepper Co., Virginia; Mr. Nalle urges Cadet Nalle to remain at VMI rather than join the Confederate Army. Also one letter fragment from Cadet Nalle's mother, ca. 1865, in which Mrs. Nalle discusses the actions of Union troops in Culpepper Co. and other war news.
Scope and Contents The New Market Collection consists primarily of reminiscences of the Battle of New Market Virginia (May 15, 1864) written by participants and other witnesses between 1894-1915. Written in response to specific inquiries and questionnaires, these memoirs were collected by various groups and individuals, including the VMI Alumni Association, author/historian Edward R. Turner, Henry A. Wise (VMI Class of 1862 and battle veteran) and Benjamin A. Colonna (VMI Class of 1864 and battle veteran). In...
Scope and Contents One manuscript notebook (6.5 x 8 inches, ca. 20 pages) covered in blue paper; the cover bears the notation "S. G. Wingfield-VMI-1864 & 65." The notebook contains brief farewell inscriptions written by Wingfield's classmates in 1865; at the end there is a short play or skit, probably original.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, 8 items, of Thomas M. Rutherfoord. The papers include a paroled prisoner's pass, dated 1865 April 10, from Appomattox Court House; two letters, 1907 and 1911, from Andrew Pizzini, Jr. (VMI Class of 1865 & New Market Cadet); & other documents (1906-1907), primarily concerned with Confederate veterans' activities.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1867 X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Darden, James D. (James David), 1845-1899
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Gibbons, Alfred Ringgold
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hundley, Charles B. (Charles Buckler), 1846-1908
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Rutherfoord, Thomas M. (Thomas Meldrum), 1848-1914
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Smith, Clifton H.
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Webb, John S. (John Samuel), 1845-1919
- 1 White, Thomas W. (Thomas Wilson), 1846-1907
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less